Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who brought the noise?
This poll is closed.
Alternative Pants: The World is a Thorn 1 9.09%
The Mystery Date: Like a Stone 0 0%
SlippyHat: Space Lord 1 9.09%
Koivunen: Hallelujah 2 18.18%
CaptainViolence: Prayer 1 9.09%
Tayter Swift: When Gods Collide 1 9.09%
Radiapathy: Spirit Needs a Spirit Tool 2 18.18%
Hawklad: Heresy 3 27.27%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Not a lot of entries this round, but the quality was very high. I tracked down all the original songs on YouTube before reviewing, since the only two that I had ever heard before were Hallelujah and Heresy. (I enjoyed the Audioslave and Disturbed songs.)

Alternative Pants - That was hella balls to the wall, man. Were those all live guitars and drums? Huge sound. I like the layered vocals near the end the best.

The Mystery Date - This is really pretty. I like how you kept the understated tone of the original song while completely changing the arrangement. I think this is some of the best singing I've heard you do, too.

SlippyHat - Super rad. I prefer your version to the original. Love the vocal sound and the tight, crisp percussion.

Koivunen - Even though it's Leonard Cohen's song, when I think of it, it's always the Jeff Buckley and k.d. lang versions that come to mind- and for that reason I see it as a really intimidating song to approach. There's only a small number of Musician's Lounge regulars with the vocal skills to do that song justice, and you are one of them. Lovely performance and nice, simple arrangement.

CaptainViolence - This was a delightful arrangement. Good use of panning to give the mix some width and life. Really enjoyed this... gave me the same kind of soothing feeling that the Monkey Island themes always did. (Despite this song's seeming darkness.)

Tayter Swift - Haha, long-time Rock'n'Roll Nightmare fan here. Loved your Kraftwerk-Does-Power-Metal approach. Great arrangement, thoughtful production. Good stuff.

Hawklad - Just like I consider Hallelujah a daunting song to cover because of some of the great renditions some have done, the original Heresy is such a perfect industrial rock production that it almost requires you to do something drastically different with the song when attempting a cover. Not only did you do that, but your interpretation was both ambitious and well-executed. Some sweet bass work in there.

As I write this I don't know where to put my vote. Everything was so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread