Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who brought the noise?
This poll is closed.
Alternative Pants: The World is a Thorn 1 9.09%
The Mystery Date: Like a Stone 0 0%
SlippyHat: Space Lord 1 9.09%
Koivunen: Hallelujah 2 18.18%
CaptainViolence: Prayer 1 9.09%
Tayter Swift: When Gods Collide 1 9.09%
Radiapathy: Spirit Needs a Spirit Tool 2 18.18%
Hawklad: Heresy 3 27.27%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SlippyHat
May 25, 2003

Delicious!
Alternative Pants: The World Is a Thorn - Holy smokes. I have no ability to do anything in this song. The drums really cut through the mix. Are you a drum player first and foremost?

SomeGuyBrian: Like a Stone - I mentioned this in the ML thread, but I really like what you did with this. It takes balls to try to cover Chris Cornell (at least, with my range/ability), and I like that you put a different spin on things. I think the strings really add a sense of continuity throughout. I agree with AP, though — there’s no real dynamics to the song. Have you thought about muting some bars as a quick fix? Like, you could mute the last 1/4 or 1/2 of the bar of the drums when you hit “alone” in the chorus. You’ll never believe this one simple trick!

SlippyHat: Space Lord - Ugh. Nice job building atmosphere during the verses and then going completely flaccid during the choruses. Also, maybe give it a rest for a couple days, then listen again with fresh ears before you submit — you might notice some things you could fix in the mix. And learn to sing.

Koivunen: Hallelujah - I hate this song so much. It’s so overplayed that it’s become maudlin, almost a cheap parody of a song — something that people sing to wither vegetables at farmers markets. But you did a really nice job of it. You honoured the original, and managed to wring some emotion out of the vocals. Also, I wish I had your voice. You’re really clear, and have impressive control. There’s something tinny in the mix that I can’t quite identify. What instrument do you have panned to the right channel?

CaptainViolence: Prayer - hahahaha. I really like this mix, and how it builds. It’s loud, clear, and confident. You’re panning nicely, and the levels seem good. The vocals could use maybe just a touch of reverb though, to help glue them to the ukes.

Tater Swift: When Dogs Collide - Ooh, neat. I dig the panning. The laser down the centre channel is maybe just a titch too loud for me — it kind of distracts from the vocals. You’ve got a Timbaland-esque kick beat… but like the man says, “your kick drum ain’t got enough bass.” Oh, there it is. Hmm. It took until about 3:20 in the song for the kick drum to hit, and now it’s gone. If this were me, I’d really beef up your drums. Get that kick pumping. I need the bass notes to pull me along. And once you’ve got that anchor, use the snare for punctuation (and some high-hats to pull the groove along from a different rhythmic and frequency band). I think this is pretty cool, and with some beef in the drums this would be amazing. But that’s just me. If this is doing what you want it to, and you’re happy with it, woo!

Radiapathy: Spirit Needs a Spirit Tool - wow. I got a G-Funk-era vibe from this right at the beginning. This is such a good mix! Everything just works here. I wasn’t sure about your vocals at first, but… they just fit so well. I voted for Hawklad, because I was familiar with the song. But I think this is the winner. This is just a phenomenal job. You jerk. :mad:

Hawklad: Heresy - oh man. This is magnificent. Other than the fact that you didn’t ask me to record Kentucky-style bass vocals for this, I think it’s just about perfect.

SlippyHat fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlippyHat
May 25, 2003

Delicious!

Alternative pants posted:

SlippyHat: Space Lord- drat. I've heard the original so many times on the radio that I was a little leery of giving this a listen. It's scary how good your voice matches the synths you're using. The only reason I didn't give this my vote was that it felt a bit confined in the mix. Just a hit of reverb in the mix could make this sound huge.

Thanks! Now that I have some distance from the song, I'm definitely hearing things that I would change. Do you mean verb on the vox, or a touch of verb to everything? I suspect the former (and I agree with you). I've been trying to eliminate reverb from my mixing toolkit lately, because I relied really heavily on it in the past. I probably shouldn't remove it as much as I do, but it provides a different way of thinking about existing workflows. It's probably time to add it back in, but just not overdo it.

SlippyHat
May 25, 2003

Delicious!
While I'm quite happy with the company I'm keeping in the 3rd-place tie, we need to break that sucker out. Bring on the (vote) Thunderdome!

• Locked thread