Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

Taken completely out of context

Anime Curator posted:

i'll buy it but won't play it

Oh I didn't know this was coming to Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I played it at my friends house and thought it was boring OP.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

congratulations to nintendo for creating what will surely be another classic game

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Splatoon looks hella rad.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oynGf9-T1UA

splatsplatsplatsplatsplatsplatsplatsplatsplat

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

1upclock posted:

The only reason to not get Splatoon is if you have severe brain damage.

i wont but it seems cool

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's pretty fun but it doesn't seem $60 fun. I'll probably bite if it hits $40 in a sale though.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Evil Eagle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oynGf9-T1UA

splatsplatsplatsplatsplatsplatsplatsplatsplat

I'm splatting the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4yOtuqMplU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mega64 posted:

It's pretty fun but it doesn't seem $60 fun. I'll probably bite if it hits $40 in a sale though.

Same here

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I will buy Splatoon and its amiibos to support Nintendo and the making of Good Games.

Dec 26, 2012

Mega64 posted:

the thing i worry about wrt this is that the online will be dead by the time it hits sale prices

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

01011001 posted:

the thing i worry about wrt this is that the online will be dead by the time it hits sale prices

I may have joked about this in the other thread, but your concerns are well founded the game really doesn't seem to have that much longevity. It's got the gear grind of Borderlands or Destiny because there's clear Best in Slot items for this game and you hit that gear grind wall pretty much an hour or so in. New Players who join later are just going to be counting the loss matches in order to just progress because that's the only real way to get coins. And coins are the only way to buy newer and better items.

Unless they pull a Diablo 3 Reaper of souls type overhaul, because as of current everything in Splatoon circles around the gear shop which you need in game currency to purchase the good stuff. It's almost like a Pay To Win game, but not since you can't pay real money and you need to just amass coins in game. And you need to consistently win matches in order for that to happen in a reasonable amount of time. It really needs another mode to it like a Diablo style Greater Rift/Rift boss that 4 players can go up against a randomly generated dungeon with a computer boss. It's just Multiplayer and the Campaign mode which is rather short.

I mean the art style and everything is very appealing. But if they had random drops in game or treasure chest spawns or some other manner that allowed you to get items without the coins, so even losses would be somewhat rewarding. Because it's a pretty big bottleneck.

Personally I'm going to wait for it to be out and see what happens. I'm squarely on the fence about it because there's an equal number of good and bad aspects about the game that it could go either way.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 10, 2015

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The Taint Reaper posted:

I may have joked about this in the other thread, but your concerns are well founded the game really doesn't seem to have that much longevity. It's got the gear grind of Borderlands or Destiny because there's clear Best in Slot items for this game and you hit that gear grind wall pretty much an hour or so in. New Players who join later are just going to be counting the loss matches in order to just progress because that's the only real way to get coins. And coins are the only way to buy newer and better items.

Unless they pull a Diablo 3 Reaper of souls type overhaul, because as of current everything in Splatoon circles around the gear shop which you need in game currency to purchase the good stuff. It's almost like a Pay To Win game, but not since you can't pay real money and you need to just amass coins in game. And you need to consistently win matches in order for that to happen in a reasonable amount of time. It really needs another mode to it like a Diablo style Greater Rift/Rift boss that 4 players can go up against a randomly generated dungeon with a computer boss. It's just Multiplayer and the Campaign mode which is rather short.

I mean the art style and everything is very appealing, but if they had random drops in game or treasure chest spawns or some other manner that allowed you to get items without the coins from the shop so even losses would be somewhat rewarding, because it's a pretty big bottleneck.

Personally I'm going to wait for it to be out and see what happens. I'm squarely on the fence about it because there's an equal number of good and bad aspects about the game that it could go either way.

Sir. Please. We need you to order.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

codenameFANGIO posted:

Sir. Please. We need you to order.

Put the medics behind the Reavers and let them die to the nuclear warhead

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

01011001 posted:

I think the opposite- there'll probably be a lot of people buying it when it lowers its price.

Dec 26, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I think the opposite- there'll probably be a lot of people buying it when it lowers its price.

i hope so

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Mega64 posted:

You people are so loving stupid.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Taint Reaper posted:

I mean the art style and everything is very appealing. But if they had random drops in game or treasure chest spawns or some other manner that allowed you to get items without the coins, so even losses would be somewhat rewarding. Because it's a pretty big bottleneck.

Fascinating. Absolutely fascinating. Next caller.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

I mean the art style and everything is very appealing. But if they had random drops in game or treasure chest spawns or some other manner that allowed you to get items without the coins, so evendidnt losses would be somewhat rewarding. Because it's a pretty big bottleneck.

didnt read any of this pent up posting crap

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

i had a really strong urge to play splatoon today but i cant...

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

oh yeah i really liked using the gyroscopic controls for the up/down aiming. i hope they integrate gyro in their standard controllers in the future.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
thank god this game comes out so close to e3 so i only have a few weeks before i can anticipate another set of great nintendo products

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Famous TV Dad posted:

oh yeah i really liked using the gyroscopic controls for the up/down aiming. i hope they integrate gyro in their standard controllers in the future.

pro controller with gyro and analog triggers would be cool

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Famous TV Dad posted:

I have no idea why they didn't make it like Windwaker aiming where you use the right control stick for the large movements and then the gyro for fine tuning. Like they ahve it but for some reason they turned off using the right stick for up/down aiming. If they let the right stick do up/down aiming then I wouldn't have a problem with gyro controls at all.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

Fascinating. Absolutely fascinating. Next caller.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Hello! Long time reader first time poster. This game looked really epic when I saw a video of it months ago. Farewell.

Dec 26, 2012

Borsche69 posted:

I have no idea why they didn't make it like Windwaker aiming where you use the right control stick for the large movements and then the gyro for fine tuning. Like they ahve it but for some reason they turned off using the right stick for up/down aiming. If they let the right stick do up/down aiming then I wouldn't have a problem with gyro controls at all.

that would make sense yeah

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Famous TV Dad posted:

i had a really strong urge to play splatoon today but i cant...
i feel like a part of my soul is mising..,

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

You people are so loving stupid.

What's dumb about thinking its overpriced.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

$60 is a bullshit price for video games but if it's good, money is not an issue

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

What's dumb about thinking its overpriced.

it went from being a budget MP-only side project to a AAA title and it's dumb to go "well it should still have a budget price"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

it went from being a budget MP-only side project to a AAA title and it's dumb to go "well it should still have a budget price"

I didn't know about the change in development, but me personally, I know if I bought it I wouldn't play enough to justify spending more than 30 or 40 dollars. But I don't really buy many games for 60 dollars anyway

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

nintendo games are expensive due to their overall sickness

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I didn't know about the change in development, but me personally, I know if I bought it I wouldn't play enough to justify spending more than 30 or 40 dollars. But I don't really buy many games for 60 dollars anyway

oh yeah, nothing's really worth 60 bucks unless it's smash bros or some other huge game like that.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i think in europe its actually being released at the lower price point like captain toad and the new kirby were

Dec 26, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

oh yeah, nothing's really worth 60 bucks unless it's smash bros or some other huge game like that.

most games justify their price point, even at 60 bucks, purely in hours. being worth it isn't the issue

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

01011001 posted:

most games justify their price point, even at 60 bucks, purely in hours. being worth it isn't the issue

i meant to say, something like smash bros or GTA or something i know im going to play a shitload over the course of a few years is obv worth full price. but with other games you think "am i even going to play this poo poo"

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

i meant to say, something like smash bros or GTA or something i know im going to play a shitload over the course of a few years is obv worth full price. but with other games you think "am i even going to play this poo poo"

Yeah I hate buying a game and only playing it for a few hours once or twice. I usually come back to it and play it a lot eventually though.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i love to buy games and play them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

sharrrk posted:

i love to buy games and play them
Same, except the first part.

• Locked thread