Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which card do you most want to see unbanned
Sword of the Meek
Dig Through Time
Bloodbraid Elf
Molimo, Maro-Sorcerer
View Results

• Locked thread
eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

That's how real magic works too
Except that it's an acceptable shortcut and no judge will ever hold you accountable for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
They will back the game up though, if you were going to stifle their fetch or something.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The issue I had was I blocked his pumped Inkmoth with my Birds while I had Melira in play and the Birds took no damage.

Lker
Oct 26, 2010

odiv posted:

The issue I had was I blocked his pumped Inkmoth with my Birds while I had Melira in play and the Birds took no damage.
After looking it up. How Xmage handled it might've been correct. Inkmoth gains infect, but Melira prevents -1/-1 counters from being applied. I didn't know this at the time, and if so, it would mean you had the game. I would be more than willing to play out game 3. Let me know.

Lker fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 3, 2015

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Ah, I see. Because it gains infect after Melira's already on the field it doesn't "lose" it because of her? I just assumed it was an Xmage fuckup.

Nah, I was at 2 life so you probably had the game anyway.

edit:
Is there any way to see all of the current attributes of a card/creature on XMage? Because your infect creatures still said infect after Melira was out.

odiv fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 3, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Isn't Melira's ability a static effect? It feels like your creature should always lose it if it has it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Because the Inkmoth gains Infect rather than just having it, Inkmoth can't actually do damage with Melira in play. The exception is if Melira comes into play after Inkmoth has already been animated like through Chord or something.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
my understand is: it deals damage in the form of -1/-1 counters, melira prevents them from being put on the creature.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

eSporks posted:

Except that it's an acceptable shortcut and no judge will ever hold you accountable for it.

Verbal shortcutting is allowed, yes, but literally if your opponent says "hey I am responding to the fetch" you have to back it up to before you cast the spell and activate the fetch first, which a judge will make you do.

Expecting a videogame version to understand verbal shortcuts is a bit unrealistic.

Like, i can tell my opponent "hey I'm gonna fetch a forest cast GSZ for 0 and get dryad arbor cool?" and then crack a misty and wind up with a GSZ missing from my hand and two new lands on the board (maybe even while my opponent is doing their draw step/main phase) but in terms of what happened via the actual rules I had to do those in a very specific sequential order with multiple shuffles.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

Verbal shortcutting is allowed, yes, but literally if your opponent says "hey I am responding to the fetch" you have to back it up to before you cast the spell and activate the fetch first, which a judge will make you do.

Expecting a videogame version to understand verbal shortcuts is a bit unrealistic.

Like, i can tell my opponent "hey I'm gonna fetch a forest cast GSZ for 0 and get dryad arbor cool?" and then crack a misty and wind up with a GSZ missing from my hand and two new lands on the board (maybe even while my opponent is doing their draw step/main phase) but in terms of what happened via the actual rules I had to do those in a very specific sequential order with multiple shuffles.
You are the second person to reply to that comment. I kept it purposefully brief, but I meant it meant to say that no player will ever be "gothca!'ed" by sequencing that way. I don't play modo a lot, but I think modo does let you resolve spells this way. IIRC modo does not even place the spell onto the stack until all costs are met which seems like a reasonable solution. It allows people to undo the tapping of lands to pay mana costs until the point that they are fully locked in and committed to paying a cost in full, or some effect has entered the stack.
The whole point of that post was to point out that X-mage does not handle common circumstances the same way that paper magic (and possibly modo) do, even though the way it handles them is correct per the rules. It is also not entirely inconceivable for a program to allow the game become backed up in such a case in the same way paper magic does.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Aston and Wildfire you have 3 days and then I'm kicking whichever person I determine to have been the laziest through a rigorous calculation process

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

TheKingofSprings posted:

Aston and Wildfire you have 3 days and then I'm kicking whichever person I determine to have been the laziest through a rigorous calculation process

Kick me, life is too crazy right now

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

wildfire1 posted:

Kick me, life is too crazy right now

Wildfire is dead, Aston steals his power

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I think I've played less than half my matches this tourney.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, I had a good chuckle when someone in the main mtg thread said he didn't understand why everyone puts up with MTGO when you can just play for free!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

What's the semis like then, who am I "playing"

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

odiv posted:

Yeah, I had a good chuckle when someone in the main mtg thread said he didn't understand why everyone puts up with MTGO when you can just play for free!
The first few of these thunderdome ran a lot smoother, now it seems like no one wants to play. I wonder if we would be better off doing 8 man's and just knocking it out in one day.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
QUARTERFINALS:

Lker (4th) vs Sigma-X (8th)
Aston (2nd) vs TheKingofSprings (<2nd :effort:)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
LKer let me know when you can play

Lker
Oct 26, 2010
I might be off and on from now to the weekend. After this weekend though, I should be more open. If you see me idle on irc, I should be up for a game.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I beat the king

Lker
Oct 26, 2010
Going to be on for tonight if you're around. PM/Irc/Post here.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Beat Lker 2-1. Game 3 he mulled to that many cards and I had the nuts to remove every critter he played on his pretty solid draws while also hitting him with a giant tarmogoyf, because I did not have to mull to 3.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Alright, are you around to play the finals this weekend?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Aston posted:

Alright, are you around to play the finals this weekend?

I should be available both saturday and sunday, I'll be farting around the house for most of them. I'm in California.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Looks like the final of this is going down in about half an hour, I'm going to stream it at https://www.twitch.tv/aston1988

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
After a back and forth finals, Sigma-X defeats Aston 2-1.

:siren:SIGMA-X IS THE MCMAGIC MODERN CHAMPION:siren:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Jund is such a strong deck that my blatant, repeatedly misplays in the face of tight plays by Aston were carried by the power of bullshit cards.

Good games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Tight plays such as jamming Twin into a represented Abrupt Decay!

Good games, that was a fun finals. You also missed me freaking out about not being able to find how to pay mana for a spell after I'd already tapped the land, and playing an island and then losing where it was.

The whole thing can be found here if you want to watch, it starts around 4:30.

• Locked thread