Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Job Truniht posted:

The otaku thing is an actual problem in Japan that's going to take out the rest of its population within a few generations.

Well having your society that enforced arranged marriages suddenly no longer do that tends to change things...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
I've been away from D&D for awhile, is Mr. Cow there a gimmick or is he genuinely insane?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

platedlizard posted:

I've been away from D&D for awhile, is Mr. Cow there a gimmick or is he genuinely insane?

If he is a gimmick/troll, he is sure dedicated to his story of his lost romance.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
There has been a 60% decline in the global poverty rate since the collapse of the Soviet Union. Easily the biggest and most dramatic drop in poverty in all of human history. Perhaps mankind's #1 single most important achievement in our entire existence on this Earth. It sure beats going to the moon anyways.

Don't you think?

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
hrm yes I wonder if that has anything to do with China and India

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Job Truniht posted:

hrm yes I wonder if that has anything to do with China and India

How so? Globalism and the spread of capitalism?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

CowOnCrack posted:

This is what the critic does and always has done. The extreme has the power to illuminate the general.

No it doesn't. You're just trying to avoid responding to the fact that societies with high rates of marriage have suffered from worse economic conditions and worse political leadership than our society does.

Your personal anecdotes are not a substitute for having some actual evidence to support the sweeping claims you're making about society.

quote:

All tools, no matter how powerful, are just tools. It was never the tool that was evil. If used wisely such a tool could be of great benefit. The trouble is the area of life the tool operates in. I have to believe it is impossible for such a tool to not change how we think profoundly, for Good or Evil. That means we MUST think about what it is doing.

We have thought about it. We're giving couples, and in particular women, the ability to choose the conditions under which they reproduce, resulting in fewer unwanted children.

Stop smelling your own farts for a second and actually provide some reasons that anyone should take your warnings seriously. I dare you to come up with an argument that isn't entirely founded on very untrustworthy sounding personal anecdotes.

quote:

I relate to women just fine. I've grown up with and have been mentored by some wonderful role models that are women. I can tell in my life that women in general look up to me and see me as an example, not to mention attractive. In terms of being obsessed or resentful, that's just the experience of romantic love. I have had it two times in my life and both times with excessive respect for the other person, and have negotiated total rejection in the face of impossibly frustrating emotional dishonesty and immaturity. It's how women relate to me and men like me that is the issue. This person was struggling to maintain some delusion of a friendship after I had been very clear about my feelings and she was already in a relationship. She was completely unable to set an emotional boundary because she was ultimately fighting with basic biological reality. She wants me around and my support and yadda yadda yadda, but never 'that way, that way, that way'. She has no proper conception of her relationship to the opposite sex, and literally invents the delusion that I'm being disrespectful or harassing her. No wonder the suffering was so incredibly bad for both people and she finally imploded, resulting in my respectful self-exile. Massive walls of societally-conditioned delusions can be the only culprit in such silliness and self-denial.

You clearly do not relate to women just fine.

Job Truniht posted:

The otaku thing is an actual problem in Japan that's going to take out the rest of its population within a few generations.

Japan isn't a model for the rest of the world and even within Japan it's very dangerous to take a contemporary trend and assume it will continue indefinitely. Societies move in strange ways and trends often reverse themselves or move in sharply new directions.

Having a none-trivial part of the population feeling profoundly alienated from society at large is a problem in many societies but there's no indication that otaku's or their equivalents are going to crowd out the rest of us. Plenty of people continue to enjoy vibrant and active social lives.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CowOnCrack posted:

I relate to women just fine. I've grown up with and have been mentored by some wonderful role models that are women. I can tell in my life that women in general look up to me and see me as an example, not to mention attractive. In terms of being obsessed or resentful, that's just the experience of romantic love. I have had it two times in my life and both times with excessive respect for the other person, and have negotiated total rejection in the face of impossibly frustrating emotional dishonesty and immaturity. It's how women relate to me and men like me that is the issue. This person was struggling to maintain some delusion of a friendship after I had been very clear about my feelings and she was already in a relationship. She was completely unable to set an emotional boundary because she was ultimately fighting with basic biological reality. She wants me around and my support and yadda yadda yadda, but never 'that way, that way, that way'. She has no proper conception of her relationship to the opposite sex, and literally invents the delusion that I'm being disrespectful or harassing her. No wonder the suffering was so incredibly bad for both people and she finally imploded, resulting in my respectful self-exile. Massive walls of societally-conditioned delusions can be the only culprit in such silliness and self-denial.

Nobody's accusing you of harassment based on her account. Nobody here has even heard her account, though I am sure it would be illuminating. It's pretty obvious from your own account that you are completely incapable of understanding social boundaries, dealing with rejection or having meaningful friendships.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

Helsing posted:

Japan isn't a model for the rest of the world and even within Japan it's very dangerous to take a contemporary trend and assume it will continue indefinitely. Societies move in strange ways and trends often reverse themselves or move in sharply new directions.

Having a none-trivial part of the population feeling profoundly alienated from society at large is a problem in many societies but there's no indication that otaku's or their equivalents are going to crowd out the rest of us. Plenty of people continue to enjoy vibrant and active social lives.

Specifically referring to otaku means specifically referring to Japan. The only way their society is going is hard right since they have this collective hard on for and completely drink the kool-aid of Imperial Japan circa 19th and early 20th century.

That said, pretty much any future violence in developed countries is going to come from the right- not from the left, as a reactionary when mixing up nationalism and global capitalism. What will become a common trend in the next 10 or 20 years in particular in the regression of perceived negative rights and the reestablishment of older social hierarchies in favor of fighting against a perceived moral decline, which will especially be directed at millennials.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kajeesus posted:

Nobody's accusing you of harassment based on her account. Nobody here has even heard her account, though I am sure it would be illuminating. It's pretty obvious from your own account that you are completely incapable of understanding social boundaries, dealing with rejection or having meaningful friendships.

Oh, you missed that thread :allears:

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

No it doesn't. You're just trying to avoid responding to the fact that societies with high rates of marriage have suffered from worse economic conditions and worse political leadership than our society does.

I am not talking about economic or political considerations in my assessments. They don't concern me in the least. Pay attention.

quote:

Your personal anecdotes are not a substitute for having some actual evidence to support the sweeping claims you're making about society.

I'm sorry you so devalue the personal experience of someone wiser than you. I admit that if you are looking for empirical evidence you can turn to someone better than me. In any case, empirical evidence forever lags behind reality and is not an absolute source of knowledge. The only absolute source of knowledge is divine revelation from God.

quote:

We have thought about it. We're giving couples, and in particular women, the ability to choose the conditions under which they reproduce, resulting in fewer unwanted children.

Stop smelling your own farts for a second and actually provide some reasons that anyone should take your warnings seriously. I dare you to come up with an argument that isn't entirely founded on very untrustworthy sounding personal anecdotes.

Who the gently caress is we? You and the brainwashed collective of automata? If a woman has sex with a man she is consenting to wanting children by biological (and moral) necessity. If there are men or women who have been brainwashed to do this without wanting children, here comes the end. I'm ready.

The fact that children could ever be 'unwanted' is horrifying. If you don't want children yet, do not have sex. We are all under a terrific delusion. Please take a poo poo all over me because I'm a man who wants a family and children and has abstained his whole life until that happens. A guy who NEEDS a family and children to be happy. But who the gently caress cares about me anymore? Obviously not horny brainwashed idiots like you. The Lord is my shepherd and he will prepare a table against those who trouble me.

quote:

You clearly do not relate to women just fine.

You clearly do not know me or my relationships. My mother is a triple-board certified ER doctor (with a masters in public health, and a degree in tropical medicine, she always makes sure to add) with a ferocious temperament who raised me in the ways of female power. My greatest spiritual mentor in life is a female conductor from the middle east. I have seen things come too far in one direction and seek to argue them back into balance for the well being of all of us. Either you take my word about my life and my experiences or you prioritize your own biases against me. I don't care.

CowOnCrack fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 12, 2015

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kajeesus posted:

Nobody's doing a thing. I am now doing that thing.

Gems like this breathe fire and life into my soul.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

CowOnCrack posted:

If a woman has sex with a man she is consenting to wanting children by biological (and moral) necessity. If there are men or women who have been brainwashed to do this without wanting children, here comes the end. I'm ready.

If a woman leaves her home without a male companion she is consenting to wanting children by being raped. Really makes you think, huh?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CommieGIR posted:

Oh, you missed that thread :allears:

Why, what happened? She show up?

CowOnCrack posted:

Nobody's doing a thing. I am now doing that thing.

Gems like this breathe fire and life into my soul.

Your seem committed to discrediting her, as delusional, when nobody is judging you based on things she said.

You're being judged based on your description of events, which clearly paints you as in the wrong.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Does anyone have the entire "Let's Play" from that thread? Weeding through the garbage for the gold is a lot of work.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Take a subsistence farmer who owns their land and is able to relax in the off season, strip them of their property, and put them into a sweatshop. Boom, we just lifted that guy out of poverty, technically.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Radbot posted:

Take a subsistence farmer who owns their land and is able to relax in the off season, strip them of their property, and put them into a sweatshop. Boom, we just lifted that guy out of poverty, technically.

What do you mean by "technically"? Were they better off as subsistence farmers?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
ProbablyPossibly?

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Miltank posted:

ProbablyPossibly?

How so? What stats are you looking at to measure "better off"? Calories consumed. Life expectancy. Literacy rate. Infant mortality. Wages.

There is really no need to guess on this topic. There are plenty of stats out there to look at. It's really easy to compare these numbers to before the industrial revolution and during. Should we pick a category and check?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kajeesus posted:

Why, what happened? She show up?he

He made a thread where he tried to explain how what happened was not stalking while the story made it sound EXACTLY like stalking and harassment.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

He made a thread where he tried to explain how what happened was not stalking while the story made it sound EXACTLY like stalking and harassment.

That's part of what convinced me that the guy is completely real and not a troll. It would take an expert amount of skill to pull off that level of characterization.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

CowOnCrack posted:

I am not talking about economic or political considerations in my assessments. They don't concern me in the least. Pay attention.

So when you claimed that the current generation is "taking out loans against the future generation in the form of debt on the scale of trillions of dollars through entitlements, " we aren't supposed to interpret this as an economic problem?

quote:

I'm sorry you so devalue the personal experience of someone wiser than you. I admit that if you are looking for empirical evidence you can turn to someone better than me. In any case, empirical evidence forever lags behind reality and is not an absolute source of knowledge. The only absolute source of knowledge is divine revelation from God.

As the Proverb says: "Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser."

My first instruction to you, o wise man, would be to reread Philippians 2:3-11 or Ephesians 4:2 and pray upon whether your comportment here is consistent with those passages.

quote:

Who the gently caress is we? You and the brainwashed collective of automata? If a woman has sex with a man she is consenting to wanting children by biological (and moral) necessity. If there are men or women who have been brainwashed to do this without wanting children, here comes the end. I'm ready.

A woman who intentionally takes a pill containing estrogen and progesterone so that she can prevent ovulation is clearly not consenting to children when she has sex. Ditto for condoms.

quote:

The fact that children could ever be 'unwanted' is horrifying. If you don't want children yet, do not have sex. We are all under a terrific delusion. Please take a poo poo all over me because I'm a man who wants a family and children and has abstained his whole life until that happens. A guy who NEEDS a family and children to be happy. But who the gently caress cares about me anymore? Obviously not horny brainwashed idiots like you. The Lord is my shepherd and he will prepare a table against those who trouble me.

"Horny idiots"? I think you had better also read Ephesians 4:31-32 before God preps a table for you. And since you can't stop grumbling about all the wrongs done to you, perhaps also read Philippians 2:14.

quote:

You clearly do not know me or my relationships. My mother is a triple-board certified ER doctor (with a masters in public health, and a degree in tropical medicine, she always makes sure to add) with a ferocious temperament who raised me in the ways of female power. My greatest spiritual mentor in life is a female conductor from the middle east. I have seen things come too far in one direction and seek to argue them back into balance for the well being of all of us. Either you take my word about my life and my experiences or you prioritize your own biases against me. I don't care.

This is the same mother who you feel did not want you or care for you adequately?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Helsing posted:

So when you claimed that the current generation is "taking out loans against the future generation in the form of debt on the scale of trillions of dollars through entitlements, " we aren't supposed to interpret this as an economic problem?

As the Proverb says: "Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser."

My first instruction to you, o wise man, would be to reread Philippians 2:3-11 or Ephesians 4:2 and pray upon whether your comportment here is consistent with those passages.

A woman who intentionally takes a pill containing estrogen and progesterone so that she can prevent ovulation is clearly not consenting to children when she has sex. Ditto for condoms.

"Horny idiots"? I think you had better also read Ephesians 4:31-32 before God preps a table for you. And since you can't stop grumbling about all the wrongs done to you, perhaps also read Philippians 2:14.

This is the same mother who you feel did not want you or care for you adequately?

FYI: Here is the human time bomb that is CowOnCrack

CowOnCrack posted:

I didn't write her emails after she told me not to contact her. That's why I wrote the essay - in order to reach out to her indirectly when she became frightened of me. This is exactly because I agreed to no email contact with her. The purpose of the essay was to end up in her hands so we could complete the semester and it worked beautifully. I'm proud of my work. She actually didn't refer to the essay as harassment and I believe her point of view of me harassing her was more or less diffused when we met with our professor together. It's just the lingering tension between us that led her supervisor to give us both that pamphlet to protect each other, but the timing and the nature of that had an enormous negative effect on me and caused me to feel betrayed by her right before my last and most important final. Later I learned there was no formal complaint, but the trauma of that experience on top of the 10 months of everything else that happened was truly loving massive and nearly broke me in half. It's a miracle I got out of that emotional warzone and I've never been closer to God in my life.

Yes it is. She admitted to me she twice that she has some kind of disorder in parsing romantic messages. It didn't fully come through the first time, but somehow admitting it to me in person and discussing her relationship to her boyfriend in person helped me get it the second time and let my feelings go. It's when she then went back on that claim and accused me of harassment that I lost my temper with her and wrote the essay to reach her indirectly. When that worked I thought everything was fine until I got a sexual harassment pamphlet which I later found out was a defensive measure by the school to protect both of us, not a formal complaint. The school apologized for the bad timing and the seeming one-sidedness in how it made me felt. That ended the issue and there's been no further developments.

You're the one willfully misinterpreting me and discarding my point of view because you're interested in bullying me and labeling me a creep. The most likely explanation is this person has legitimate difficulties in this area which is not my problem and she needs to take responsibility as best as she is able, just like I take responsibility for my 50%. Bipolar disorder has a symptom called hypersexuality actually, which can be thought of as hyperromanticism. I can get overblown romantic feelings and they can progress way too far for my own good, but that doesn't mean they don't have legitimate grounds. Combine that with whatever this girl struggles with, and you have a really unstable concoction. Like attracts like I guess. But it's a two-way street every time and you are just obsessed with defending her for some reason.

If anything you come off as an anti-feminist and misogynist. It's like you deny women have any agency or responsibility at all for understanding romantic contexts and that they are incapable of managing their own feelings. Couldn't be that she led me on willfully or without knowing or that I actually cared about her, must be that I'm a creep, lol.

I did, as soon as I sensed something was off about her. That is when she talked about problems she's had in the past that were exactly like her situation with me. I saved all the emails and included my point of view and gave it to her, the school, and eventually everyone in our singing group to defend my own reputation instead of file a complaint against her. A complaint may have gotten her fired or expelled, but I showed compassion for her and she reciprocated by not formally complaining against me. It may also be that the school protected me because they saw her disordered nature was causing me immense grief and that it was certainly two-sided. It ended up being very helpful that I did that. The gesture of giving it to her in order to help her understand my point of view was yet one more risky and compassionate did I thing to respect and understand this individual, and that's because we did have a strong friendship for nearly two years. Risking my reputation and telling her about my condition were yet two more risks that I took, and both of these things could have been used against me. I'm confident that being so forward and helpful is what clearly absolved me of any wrongdoing (other than having hurt feelings and struggling with them) and in the end allowed me to walk away from the situation with my head held high.

Can you imagine how I felt? I fall totally in love with someone in a perfectly logical progression of being friends for 1.25 years and then 10 months of confusion, and I'm left trying to chew on the answer that she's aromantic or something and either just doesn't get it or is willfully deceitful and wicked (or some conflicted combination of both, most likely). It could be autism or something like that, but she appears very high-functioning and she never admitted a clear diagnosis to me or an explanation of how exactly that diagnosis works in these situations. After sharing my condition with her, she said she is no stranger to mental illness and and it causing problems with friendships, and she mentioned having difficulty parsing romantic cues and that she invents the meaning behind words. She said mentioned though hat she wasn't willing to share her diagnosis with anyone yet, not even close friends, and still hasn't shared it with me. This is a situation that she has had with at least 2 other close friends. She admitted to me in person that she constantly gets accused of leading men on, and thus admitted partial responsibility. Because it could be a thought disorder, it's obviously extremely hard for someone like her to understand why she has to assume 'responsibility' for her condition, but the simple fact is she does.

Those other guys attacked her and blamed her for it and her relationships turned abusive, and all did was write her a sincerely motivated email of advice, and then an essay when she became frightened of me. Then I had the strength to work with her as much as I was able, despite the titanic levels of stress and my own mental health falling apart. I don't see how I could have possibly done any better for her than I did. I think it's impossible for me not to get angry at her at least somewhat, because I simply cannot truly understand her. My feelings felt totally legitimate and real, and she appears like nothing but a callous bitch just like she did to those other men. But I've made far more of an effort to understand her and took far more risks and made far more sacrifices than anyone else ever has for her because I cared for her and we had such a strong friendship. But even if she has some kind of condition or disorder, at the end of the day she must learn to take her share of what happened because she wasn't forward with me about it and it caused catastrophic damage over a period of 2 years because I had no idea she doesn't engage in romance or whatever. The fact that she had a boyfriend actually made it worse because that implies she does participate in romance - it was only later that it became clear her relationship is unusual in nature and is more of a long-term friendly partnership than a real romantic relationship.

I had idea about any of this poo poo when I was her friend for 2 years and for 10 months of that period was falling in love with her. People must take responsibility for themselves and that includes their disorders. I do think that she has become somewhat jaded and has developed the behavior of absolving herself and blaming men, and in that way is sort of an emotional predator. No matter how much I care about her and what her disorders are, doing what she did was incredibly loving hurtful to me after all I've done for her. Accusing me of harassment, after I had been nothing but a blessing in her life as a friend? It's such an enormous slap in the face it's truly my faith and spirituality that gets me through this poo poo. No man is strong enough to endure that and not plot revenge, so I put it in the hands of the Lord. I have to live with the reality that she may never forgive me after all I've done for her and even want to be my friend, simply because she cannot understand and refuses to make the effort or take a shred of the blame. It's an unfinished story, a book with pages forever not turned, a case forever not closed, and it has the potential to haunt me forever. I hope we can forgive each other some day but obviously that will take a poo poo load of time and in the meantime I will put it in God's capable hands.

She's a tragic figure, but maybe my point of view will help her someday in a future friendship. I'm just a hapless Bipolar romantic who got too heavily invested in this unusual person. It sucks, but I'll get over it and I don't care in the least what the loving internet thinks about it. I just thought I'd share it because it's a fascinating story as well as a profound learning experience that helped me understand relationships and my own beliefs and you all can take it or leave it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

CowOnCrack posted:

And the reason for the end of the world will be: the birth control pill.

Satan's greatest weapon! So subtle, so effective. Now no one can even remember that there are children and a future generation that we are (were, too late oops) beholden to and life isn't about their awesomeness and happiness and passion and blibbidy blah blah. Bye bye Earth. God himself will now have to invade because the sins of the world are boiling over.

Baudolino posted:

If civilization ends it will be because of a collective decison to stop breeding.

probably forgetting about that green area. s'okay, lots of people do

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

Something isn't right with that graph. Germany's and France's populations nearly doubled from the 1890s/early 1900s.

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kajeesus posted:

Why, what happened? She show up?

Your seem committed to discrediting her, as delusional, when nobody is judging you based on things she said.

You're being judged based on your description of events, which clearly paints you as in the wrong.

She never complained against me. She was temporarily upset and ashamed. There has still been no complaint.

It's good to know the real story.

Helsing posted:

Moral problem. Paying for luxuries now with money from your children's pockets is a massive moral catastrophe.

quote:

Thank you for referring to the Word of God in rebuking me. I should deal with you in a more humble manner, but I'm constantly assaulted for sharing my personal experiences. I come to view this entire internet board as threatening and that risks treating everyone in a similar manner - as they've treated me.

quote:

My argument is that this habit of children avoidance is incredibly harmful from a moral point of view. I am arguing that what I said before is a moral necessity. I don't disagree with this argument, I disagree with the woman's choice. She should not have sex at all. All sex outside of marriage is an abomination.

"Marriage is to be held in honor among all, and the marriage bed is to be undefiled, for fornicators and adulterers God will judge."
-Hebrews 14:4

Such tools have created an attitude of fornication. The reason why fornication is a sin is because it is sex without the context of marriage and children. Such a thing debases us because this is the entire purpose of sex. It risks changing our attitudes about everything in ways that I don't think I could fully comprehend even if I devoted a lifetime to study. However, I wouldn't need to do this to know it is wrong. That is because the Word of God is authoritative.

Let me attempt to construct an argument. Why do we do what we do in life? Is it for ourselves? For the entirety of humanity until the 20th century, the answer was our families as children and our own families as adults. That is now changing. We have had now one full generation in the developed world that has lived for themselves and the results have practically doomed us. I see this as the result of succumbing to lust and abandoning our reproductive duties. Without our own family to love us and keep us grounded and accountable, we can so easily become monsters (both men and women.) Without our own family, we are working towards ends that are like to be foolish and unwise because we are accountable only to ourselves (or to God). This is the only fair alternative - to be celibate and live for God. That way one can devote your life to providing wisdom for God's people.

The selfish unbeliever who does not know a family is a sure force for destruction and misery.

quote:

It's good to know I'm speaking with another Biblical literalist. I've never met another one on here. Speaking from one man of God to another is a totally different experience than a hostile generation of pagans. As long as we refer to the Word of God as our center I can stay level with you. This doesn't mean I won't be passionate. I'd rather be passionate than lukewarm.

quote:

Yes. She cared more about her marriage and work life than me. Although to her credit, she is a Christian and a believer, and therefore was far better off than most at doing the right thing. She was my first spiritual mentor. She however was incapable of disciplining us and also, mothers are incapable of a certain kind of discipline. My father was and still is an unbeliever. He did not discipline his children and it led to their ruin. Grace without Truth annihilates children. The Lord is now my shepherd.

"Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him."
-Proverbs 13:24

Rodatose posted:

probably forgetting about that green area. s'okay, lots of people do

It is not the decisions of the mass of people that mattered for the sins of the previous generation. Instead is the prevailing attitude of the powerful and the influence of their ideas that was devastating. It was their choices that suppressed and doomed us all.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
:allears: Do you ever shutup.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWPvKxSA7nw

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
COC, I have only one question for you. DId the lady in question ever claim to have sent you intentional romantic signals? Did she ever, verbally, communicate any kind of interest? I know explicit statements are only 7% of communication or whatever, but I'm curious.

CommieGIR posted:

FYI: Here is the human time bomb that is CowOnCrack

I'm readin through that old thread right now, and just got to the part where someone found what is almost certainly the essay in question.

CowOnCrack posted:

Hey, I didn't know aromanticism was a thing. Can't blame a guy for trying with the woman of his dreams.

Here are tips for all you aromantic women out there:

1) I recommend against discussing your relationship with others, or if you do, be very mindful about what might appear to outside listeners as a problem. Things that you believe are 'cute' or easily forgivable may appear to others as warning signs. People in mature relationships do not discuss such issues with anyone but their partner, or perhaps wise council in private. Perhaps its best to not discuss it all and keep your relationship on a need to know basis.

2) I recommend being very responsible for your own needs and not leaning on the help of male friends for anything. I personally do not help anyone with any expectation of anything in return, but when help is expected from me that goes beyond what seems reasonable, even my feelings may become confused.

3) I recommend against talking about your relationship on Facebook or anything pertaining to a relationship status change. I know I'm going against the grain here, but I feel it is very unwise because you do not know how it will affect those reading. When you opted to include your boyfriend in the category of "family", this was incredibly confusing to me. My impression up to that point was that yes he was your boyfriend, but maybe there were problems. I invite you to imagine what someone might feel like if they discovered they had fallen in love with a married woman while under that impression. This is the kind of thing that might invite suicidal thinking in some people (for my part, I didn't feel that bad, but I felt very foolish, hurt, and confused.)

4) Continue to be mindful of the company you keep. By choosing to attend this music school and surrounding yourself with caring and loving people, you have insulated yourself from the kind of people who would take advantage of you. Doing what you are doing will protect you from sleaze balls and scumbags. Even still, there are plenty of men in this world in nearly every location who would not necessarily respect the integrity of your relationship. Even my brother told me I should just ask you out. Also, as long as you are not married, there are some respectful individuals who would even fall in love with you on that kind of basis if they perceived dissatisfaction. But at least if that happens, respectful individuals will seek to not make a problem for you (my case).

5) If this ever does happen to you in the future, if I were you I would be very forward about that key difference - your asexuality. Do not be afraid, embarrassed, or ashamed to discuss it. Also, do not expect the problem to resolve itself so quickly. If someone tells you how they feel, even if they are very respectful and sincere, 10-20 seconds of diplomacy is just the beginning of working through such an issue. Romantic feelings, you must understand, are extremely powerful forces for everyone on a regular basis, except certain people like yourself. They would expect at least one conversation, if not several, to go through how things happened and why they feel the way they do. What you have to understand also though is that in this sort of situation, it is very, very difficult for the person interested in you to come up and talk with you about it. They may be frightened or anxious. Fortunately, you are very kind, compassionate, and logical, and if you were very forward in addressing their concerns then that is your best chance of avoiding an ordeal.

6) It may be that you want to avoid male friends entirely, because of the potential for these issues to develop. I wouldn't necessarily be that pessimistic myself - I think if you practice mindfulness and are more forward about your differences, you will be OK. But you might consider it.

7) Consider marriage - there is a reason why married couples have a wedding band on their finger. It's a signal to everyone - "I am taken". Only the most awful human beings in the world would stoop as low as to pursue a married woman and these sorts are very rare.

"Actions you need to undertake to prevent me from creeping on you (projected onto all men, obviously): a stalker's guide"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CowOnCrack posted:

It is not the decisions of the mass of people that mattered for the sins of the previous generation. Instead is the prevailing attitude of the powerful and the influence of their ideas that was devastating. It was their choices that suppressed and doomed us all.
Doomed us all like how?

Like, let's say literally half of the people who would otherwise have children do not have children. It would be a tremendously nasty demographic bubble - and it would probably mean that in a hundred years, there are ONLY!! what, four, five billion people? Truly, the end of the human race.

For that matter, what is the moral good you are blithering about? I guess you probably wanted to bait people into responding to you so you can have more martyr-mode dopamine fun times, but whatever, man; I guess I'm interested.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

CowOnCrack posted:

My mother is a triple-board certified ER doctor (with a masters in public health, and a degree in tropical medicine, she always makes sure to add) with a ferocious temperament who raised me in the ways of female power.

That your mother is a doctor makes your story from the previous thread about her not taking meds for being super depressed, making you poorly cooked meals that give you food poisoning, and getting mad at you if you mentioned her unsafe cooking to her all the more horrifying.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

improper-axis.png

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I had a dream last night where the F-35's continuing failure to operate caused america to lose an air war, resulting in "foreign" air dominance, destruction of all us infrastructure, and the collapse of american civilization. Since no foreign country on earth has an interest in that outcome, I can only assume my dream foreigners were extraterrestrials.

So to answer the OP's question, yes, in my dreams.

I read this forum too much.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
When i mentioned Otaku`s i did not just mean men you know. It will affect women too ( in Korea and Japan this is already happening).I mentioned it as the thing most likely to end civilization, not that it would necessarily have this effect. Climate change and nuclear war can to a ton of damage, but som burnt out remnants would remain and they would rebuild. But a spiritual cancer from within, now that could very well end us. It`s not even about the sex or reproduction it`s all about the lack of a higher purpose which encourages nihilistic hedonism in the first world at the expense of everyone else. As long we invent som new bullshit to imbue our lifes with fake meaning we will be fine.

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Darkrenown posted:

That your mother is a doctor makes your story from the previous thread about her not taking meds for being super depressed, making you poorly cooked meals that give you food poisoning, and getting mad at you if you mentioned her unsafe cooking to her all the more horrifying.

I'm in the process of trying to escape my broken family life at all costs. I realize now through a series of painful experiences that its completely up to me. Oh, and also my church has been super cool for the most part.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CowOnCrack posted:

I'm in the process of trying to escape my broken family life at all costs. I realize now through a series of painful experiences that its completely up to me. Oh, and also my church has been super cool for the most part.

Based on your past threads and past rants, you are broken too. Get psychological help.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
I'm the implicit understanding that because someone can only jack off to cartoons the human race will end

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Baudolino posted:

But a spiritual cancer from within, now that could very well end us. It`s not even about the sex or reproduction it`s all about the lack of a higher purpose which encourages nihilistic hedonism in the first world at the expense of everyone else. As long we invent som new bullshit to imbue our lifes with fake meaning we will be fine.

Hahaha what the gently caress, this is every bit as dumb as the stuff CowOnCrack has been posting.

For one, Japan's low birth rate is not being primary caused by otaku culture, and the overwhelming majority of people, men or women, in Japan are not otaku.

While I'm sure there are multiple causes, here's one that is almost certainly far more significant than "otakus being bad with women" - Japan's poor economy, combined with its extremely high cost of real estate, make it very difficult for young people to settle down and start a family, with many opting to continue to live with their parents even after getting married.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kajeesus posted:

COC, I have only one question for you. DId the lady in question ever claim to have sent you intentional romantic signals? Did she ever, verbally, communicate any kind of interest? I know explicit statements are only 7% of communication or whatever, but I'm curious.

I'm guessing that's a no, then.

This is something you'll probably never realize, but when she "admitted" to leading you on, she was giving you an easy out to spare your feelings. Either because she wanted to remain friends, or because she was scared that you'd react poorly to a harsher rejection. She never actually did anything to lead you on, other than respect you as a friend and confidant. You could have gracefully accepted the kindest rejection imaginable, but instead you chose to barrel on and propose marriage to a girl who had already turned you down at the first sign of trouble in paradise.

When this understandably freaked her out, you sent her an e-mail guide on how not to be a friendzoning bitch (when the friendzone is bullshit and she'd only admitted to leading you on to spare your feelings) and blamed her for your marriage proposal. Even this she handled with restraint, and just asked you to leave her the gently caress alone. To which you responded by publicizing your private correspondance to prove that she was totally leading you on and/or mentally ill, as well as distribute a guide on how to avoid attracting stalkers being a friendzoning bitch.

Throughout the entire ordeal you were treated with far more restraint than deserved, and you're treating this as vindication that you're in the right. You went on an entire loving crusade against a woman for friendzoning you, because she tried to turn you down easy. She turned you down hard when you continued to blame her for your attraction, and you responded by grossly violating her privacy and harassing her through indirect contact. You should have been expelled for that. If she had chosen to press the issue, you would have been. Instead, she chose to spend some time on exchange. You chose to interpret this as proof that she was in the wrong, when all it proves is that you respond to kindness and restraint with further cruelty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

CowOnCrack posted:

Moral problem. Paying for luxuries now with money from your children's pockets is a massive moral catastrophe.

Debt and spending are economic questions with a moral dimension. But either way the problem with your argument is that the economic / moral arrangements of contemporary society are better than they were in the past. Not that long ago it was common to let children starve to death or to send them to work for extremely long days instead of putting them through school.

The moral crisis you keep referring to is just your lack of historical perspective. We treat children and people in general much better now than we did in even the recent past.

quote:

Thank you for referring to the Word of God in rebuking me. I should deal with you in a more humble manner, but I'm constantly assaulted for sharing my personal experiences. I come to view this entire internet board as threatening and that risks treating everyone in a similar manner - as they've treated me.

If someone threatens you then turn the other cheek.

quote:

My argument is that this habit of children avoidance is incredibly harmful from a moral point of view. I am arguing that what I said before is a moral necessity. I don't disagree with this argument, I disagree with the woman's choice. She should not have sex at all. All sex outside of marriage is an abomination.

"Marriage is to be held in honor among all, and the marriage bed is to be undefiled, for fornicators and adulterers God will judge."
-Hebrews 14:4

God will judge. God. Not you. It's up to the government to decide questions of marriage and reproduction, and in the society you live in the government delegates much of this decision to elections and other forms of social pressure from below. It's not your place to judge these arrangements for yourself, you should focus on living your own life and stop feeling so angry about things you cannot change.

quote:

Such tools have created an attitude of fornication. The reason why fornication is a sin is because it is sex without the context of marriage and children. Such a thing debases us because this is the entire purpose of sex. It risks changing our attitudes about everything in ways that I don't think I could fully comprehend even if I devoted a lifetime to study. However, I wouldn't need to do this to know it is wrong. That is because the Word of God is authoritative.

People have always been having sex outside of marriage. Even though in the past you could tarred and feathered or executed for it, people still did it. In fact the age at which people start having sex is higher now than it was in the recent past.

quote:

Let me attempt to construct an argument. Why do we do what we do in life? Is it for ourselves? For the entirety of humanity until the 20th century, the answer was our families as children and our own families as adults. That is now changing. We have had now one full generation in the developed world that has lived for themselves and the results have practically doomed us. I see this as the result of succumbing to lust and abandoning our reproductive duties. Without our own family to love us and keep us grounded and accountable, we can so easily become monsters (both men and women.) Without our own family, we are working towards ends that are like to be foolish and unwise because we are accountable only to ourselves (or to God). This is the only fair alternative - to be celibate and live for God. That way one can devote your life to providing wisdom for God's people.

The selfish unbeliever who does not know a family is a sure force for destruction and misery.

High marriage rates in Germany didn't magically prevent the holocaust from happening.

Nothing about our society is all that different from the past. You are trying to turn the 20th century into a lost golden age when it was anything but that. People were not more faithful to their wives and they didn't treat their children better.

quote:

It's good to know I'm speaking with another Biblical literalist. I've never met another one on here. Speaking from one man of God to another is a totally different experience than a hostile generation of pagans. As long as we refer to the Word of God as our center I can stay level with you. This doesn't mean I won't be passionate. I'd rather be passionate than lukewarm.

Yes. She cared more about her marriage and work life than me. Although to her credit, she is a Christian and a believer, and therefore was far better off than most at doing the right thing. She was my first spiritual mentor. She however was incapable of disciplining us and also, mothers are incapable of a certain kind of discipline. My father was and still is an unbeliever. He did not discipline his children and it led to their ruin. Grace without Truth annihilates children. The Lord is now my shepherd.

"Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him."
-Proverbs 13:24

Without trying to be overly judgemental, this does not sound like a healthy relationship. I think you are angry at women but you don't want to admit that you're angry, and this confuses you. That confusion creates tension, and to release that tension you imagine a golden past - the 20th century - and a golden future - your death and eventual ascension to heaven - but both of these things are just mechanisms to distract you from the life you are actually living.

I'm not going to get into a long debate with you about this so you'll just have to read these words and decide whether to follow through on them but you are clearly very angry: angry at your parents, angry at the woman who rejected you, angry at society, and perhaps most of all angry at yourself. Until you admit that you're angry you will never find any kind of peace, and wrapping yourself in the flag of righteousness and pretending that it's God judging people and not you is both idolatrous and guarnateed to hurt you further.

Until you can stop being angry and accept the things you cannot change (i.e. your upbringing, the society in which you live, the fact that your previous romantic experience was painful) you'll never move on. And I don't really think you help yourself by coming on here and basically inviting people to tear into you.

• Locked thread