Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
This thread is wonderful. It's like orchestral industrial music.

Currently reading Tuning, Timbre, Spectrum, Scale by Sethares. The basic premise of which is that different timbres are germane to different tunings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
It most certainly does. Appropos, that was the section I was reading before I posted. The stretchy triative tuning works because half closed pipes only produce odd harmonics and their consonance/dissonance patterns match better.

Really wish he would set up a legit digital publishing of that book. It can be stunningly neat if you can decipher the sort of odd writing style and organization of it.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 29, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

abske_fides posted:

I'm about to dive into this book from a copy I found at a library but it doesn't include the CD. How essential is it?

I don't have the cd either so I can't really say. Obviously it's pretty essential if you want to hear what the examples sound like. The book is...structurally it's weird. Read up the part on dissonance curves, then read the appendix on dissonance curves then continue. All the matlab stuff is on Sethares' website, I need to double check, I bet a lot of the sound examples are up there too.

• Locked thread