Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Thanks for the lovely thread! I've been delving deeper into spectralism after I first encounted music from the IRCAM composers, and especially when I had the chance to work with Kaija Saariaho for two concerts.

I'll have to check your compositions a bit later on LargeHadron. Looking forward to it! I myself recently wrote a piece inspired by some of the spectral concepts and using live processing of a grand piano. I'll see if I can post it a bit later, applied to a composition competition so I might not be allowed to post it before I get a result from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

LargeHadron posted:

Wow, I'm jealous that you got to work with Saariaho. What is your background in composition? I am definitely curious to hear your piece, and good luck on the competition!

First off, you have some really lovely compositions. Inspiration/Expiration had some very interesting use of orchestration, and the processing in Cyraenes was very interesting.

My background in composition actually comes from working with music technology. During my bachelor's I just got more and more interested in the avant-garde of jazz and classical, and started studying it a lot more seriously. Then I had the chance to take an intesive composition year at the conservatory. Currently working on my master's in music technology although my thesis really is a mix of music technology and composition. Hopefully I'll be able to get a few extra classes.

I got the chance to work with Saariaho under a festival here. They needed someone that was familiar with contemporary classical and live processing so I was called up. Getting to meet her, and talk with her completely changed my view on quite a bit of music. I had the chance to work on Lichtbogen and NoaNoa. It was quite interesting to hack into her Max patches haha

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Sizone posted:

This thread is wonderful. It's like orchestral industrial music.

Currently reading Tuning, Timbre, Spectrum, Scale by Sethares. The basic premise of which is that different timbres are germane to different tunings.

I'm about to dive into this book from a copy I found at a library but it doesn't include the CD. How essential is it?

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
If it's mostly matlab stuff that's on the CD for sound examples then it's pretty easy to just compile the code here either way. A few years ago I read Musimathics Vol. 1 but I was pretty disappointed by how the book stays at a very fundamental level and never really goes above basic stuff. I'll probably check out Vol. 2 this summer, hopefully it has a bit more useful/advanced information.

If you guys haven't read it, Saariaho's Timbre and harmony: interpolations of timbral structures is a pretty interesting read. The English translation is awkward in a few places but it's still readable.

• Locked thread