Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

BlindSite posted:

One thing I am curious of though, I've been guilty myself and I've heard people who're pretty accepting of all genders, races, sexualities etc of occasionally jokingly calling someone a "fag" or saying "that's gay" in place of "that's lame". I guess the whole south park episode on the issue kind of sums that one up in terms of not realising its insensitive but it's not meant in a hateful way to anyone gay (yes before SJW jump on me here, I know that doesn't make it ok). Is that something that gives you the shits or offends you or does it not bother you?

Like the other poster said there is no consensus. For me its not hugely offensive but more vaguely off-putting. If someone says it a lot I do notice but I won't be crying myself to sleep at night over it. I think as a general rule maybe it's better to just avoid saying it? I don't know.

That said, my mates keep thinking they need to apologise to me any time "fag" is mentioned but I guess I don't see it as a big enough problem that it warrants an apology from them. I have more a problem if its someone I don't know.

Scudworth posted:

I can only offer you an anecdotal example:
Within the past 5 years, two members of my extended friend groups have dated and then married same-sex people despite them never (at least openly) dating or even talking about being attracted to the same gender. There was no big sit down COMING OUT drama or discussion. They just worked the person into their life in the same casual way as any other relationship. "Hey everyone this is my boyfriend Ray."
No need to explain it or ask for forgiveness. Any decent people will maybe be confused for a few moments (seriously, just minutes) and then shrug and move on. I'm sure with their families it would have been A Thing, and I can't comment on that because I wouldn't know, but to us it was just like "Oh I guess he's gay now. Or always. Whatever."

This is my plan, except with my family!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Scudworth posted:

You keep using words like "fraud" and "imposter". You have a serious complex going on here and again- you know it.

This is not how reasonable people will see it. At worst they'll just assume you're bi and have been choosing dudes lately. Does that bother you? That being the worst? Because you don't have to explain yourself. People understand that there's a spectrum at work here and I don't know a single gay person that didn't try straight relationships in their youth.
You will not be admitting to some vast conspiracy.

I think you're trying to help here but there are a few things that aren't quite true. It is true that reasonable people will see the situation for what it is and not make judgements that the OP is worried about but you're wrong about how people in general could react.

Perhaps you're lucky that you're surrounded by smart, rational people but unfortunately a lot of us aren't.

In my experience "People" don't understand there is a spectrum. Sometimes it seems straight people barely understand the concept of what it means if someone is "gay", it's routinely conflated with what music you should like, where you should go, how you should act etc. You're giving people way too much credit here.

Also, I'm a gay person and I didn't try straight relationships in my youth.

My only advice to you, as someone who shares some of what you're feeling, is that you're the only person here that knows your situation is you. You're in the best position to make the call on coming out or not. The right answer isn't always obvious or the easiest.

MonoAus fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 13, 2015

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Cunts.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

They all already know you're gay. When you come out the main response is going to be "We've known for years.".

This isn't necessarily true. When I told my mates I was gay the response was "we had no idea - we feel really embarassed for all the insensitive things we've said about homos now".

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I couldn't talk to my dad for five years and it doesn't necessarily get better, cuz Pixar's Cartoon Candy and Smile factory doesn't have a job lined up and waiting for every homo.

What?

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
I can't speak for the OP but I would say that your situation does sound similar to me, before I came out to my friends

Rather than faking anything with them I would just not explain what I was thinking or feeling to the point where I distanced myself completely. I'd mentally weigh up anything that I said to see if it would logically lead back to them discovering my horrible secret. Second guessing everything that you say becomes extremely tiresome and one day I guess I just decided it was too hard to keep it up. It worked out great in the end but I still remember the most awkward feeling when I blurted it out one night.

To explain a bit about coming out to family; You're always worried about what people's reactions might be. It's often easier to feel safe with the status quo rather than gamble on how you might be treated or seen after you come out. Also if you came out to friends or an acquaintance and they had a bad reaction it isn't as life shattering as if the same thing happened with a parent, they can't be replaced as easily.

• Locked thread