Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I just gave Sharp the aug that gives extra AP when he cloaks and the aug that cloaks him when he uses a Stim item.

It does, in fact, turn him into Invisible Sanic at the press of a button. Now I just need to snag the Holocircuit Overloaders aug so he can own guards just by standing near them and shooting up on invisible speed juice :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The absolute messes of human beings you turn your agents into is definitely one of my favorite things about Invisible Inc. Every single one of them is at minimum developing a crippling swim addiction by the time I'm through with them.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

RandallODim posted:

a crippling swim addiction

Invisible Inc: Terror from the Deep

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Disappointed to learn that Stim IV (+10AP, unlimited attacks in turn) does not combine neatly with Flurry gun (unlimited shots in the turn it's used) to allow me to kill everyone :(

e: But a lot of people did die so it's not all bad :)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I know part of the game is rolling with what you're given but I wish there was a way to pay a extra to get a specific item from Monster after your next mission or something. Really need a cloaking device (I also have a bunch of those augments on Sharp) and haven't seen one anywhere yet.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Zombie Samurai posted:

Invisible Inc: Terror from the Deep

Autocorrect is a cruel, but occasionally fun, master.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
Just beat the extended campaign on Expert+! and oh boy, what a slog. I think it would have gone better, were it not for my poor program choices. To start with, i had dynamo (+2 power every turn past alarm level 2) and rapier, I'm not sure why. Maybe I thought it was good? (it's not good.)
i spent the second half of the campaign trying to fix my unoptimal decisions, and somehow ended up with cycle (power each turn is set to 3), which as i found out is even worse than dynamo. Cycle is probably the single hardest program to use in the game. It is crippled by root (-1 power, so you start with 2 power) and it does not work with the +1 power augment. It is a huge liability. I couldn't even use half of my programs if I didn't find a terminal that turn. Possibly it works well with parasite or something, and 3 guaranteed power every turn is probably the biggest raw power output, but it is so awkward

That said, after I got Draco up to max hacking, it went kind of smoothly from there? I had hunter and wrench 5, meaning that if I found a terminal, I'd be guaranteed to crack those 5-firewall daemon'd devices (3 cycle + 1 terminal + 5 hacking = 5 hunter + 4 wrench). And you can cover a lot of ground at alarm 0 with rapier. But it's a lot of trouble to go through, and I'm not sure it's worth it! I hacked a server terminal almost every mission, I think, and I had to pass up so many cool-looking programs because they cost more than 3 power.

DLC good: programs! railgun! daemons! wow! Draco's a beast! Young gladstone's augment is clutch! Multi-turn cloaks (I don't know if cloaks were always multiple turns)

DLC bad: Beating the campaign only gave me the expert+ achievement, and not the experienced nor the expert one!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm still working my way up to Expert+. I tried a few runs but mission 3 was about as far as i could get before everything went to poo poo, usually because I had missed some minutia that I relied on (I didn't know EMP devices made noise)

So I dialled it back down to Expert+-but-with-guard-numbers-set-to-normal-instead-of-more. That run was dicey at first, but once I had a decent set of gadgets it was pretty easy (and my random roll at the start gave me Internationale which is basically cheat mode). I would like it if the game managed to scale difficulty to counter your success in previous missions.

I have a question. When i got Contingency Plan, two or three missions had "databanks" that gave me some lore fluff. But I haven't seen any databanks for weeks. Do they only spawn in particular missions?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I find that the hardest part of any campaign are going to be the first few missions, where you've got two agents who are still lacking high end gear and speed upgrades.

Once you've got them with 2 or 3 points in speed, though, the game becomes much easier.

I finally came back and got my 10+ day achievement on endless and finished an Expert campaign with the contingency plan content (used Rush + Banks, fun combo).

Going to try to Expert+ next, I'm not sure who my duo is going to be just yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

abardam posted:

I hacked a server terminal almost every mission, I think, and I had to pass up so many cool-looking programs because they cost more than 3 power.

I was under the impression that you could sell programs you didn't want at any server terminal?

abardam
Mar 1, 2015

Clarste posted:

I was under the impression that you could sell programs you didn't want at any server terminal?

Yeah, but I sold my original powergen program for Cycle, so I was kinda stuck with it. I guess I could have sold Cycle, but then that's me relying solely on finding terminals for power. The smarter strategy would probably have been to make a beeline for any server farms or executive terminals, but oh well!

Fano posted:

Going to try to Expert+ next, I'm not sure who my duo is going to be just yet.

do a Shalem/Draco murdercrew

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I spent this Saturday getting my rear end kicked by Experienced difficulty, having not played for a few months. I think I need to stop trying to taser every guard I see. It really bit me in the rear end in the final mission, when I already had some guys in "hunting" mode as all the poo poo began to hit the fan during Monst3r's hack. It didn't help that the security console and the mainframe room were both directly attached to a huge open room with like 3 patrolling guards, 2 cameras that kept rebooting, and another sniper guard who could see in every other turn. There was no physical way for Monst3r to go rendezvous with Central by the time he was done getting the access code. I ran out of rewinds trying various permutations of "have my remaining agents step out into full view to get everybody's attention"

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 1, 2016

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

abardam posted:

do a Shalem/Draco murdercrew
I did this combo on an earlier expert run and it went very well, I'm not sure how it's going to fare in Expert+, given that the alarm level will rise twice on each kill.

I wanted to go for a more sneaky/pacifist type thing, as my current endless run is an unstoppable murder crew already.

For anyone who happens to find Draco in a detention center and doesn't have any lethal weapons (as I did on my last run), Sankaku missions are very useful to grab some upgrades for him, as you can control drones and use them for kills instead of having to rely on one of your own weapons.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Fano posted:

I did this combo on an earlier expert run and it went very well, I'm not sure how it's going to fare in Expert+, given that the alarm level will rise twice on each kill.

The aug that prevents heart monitors from going off and/or EMP effects will work wonders for you. Forget about Shalem, get Dr. Xu on your team.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Are nanofabs and server terminals weighted to give you more items from the DLC item pool, or is it just confirmation bias on my part? I feel like one of the biggest ways the DLC makes the game harder is by limiting access to the top tier augments like Net Downlink and Predictive Brawling.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seems pretty random to me. You might be getting a random cluster as I don't there is any programming that prevent this. The only thing that is guaranteed is charge packs and the categories of items. The DLC does dilute the pool without increasing the number slots the items can be rolled into. You will also notice the DLC items more since they are marked.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Why do I have to own the game on Steam to buy the soundtrack? I bought it on GOG and my reward has been slower patching and no extras. I want to pay for the music but not enough to re-buy the game.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Shumagorath posted:

Why do I have to own the game on Steam to buy the soundtrack? I bought it on GOG and my reward has been slower patching and no extras. I want to pay for the music but not enough to re-buy the game.

Try asking the devs. It's probably a result of how it's set up as a DLC.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
iTunes has it, but the price is about double Steam's.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I understand that this video game is coming out on the PS4 Soon.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

That's on-file Shalem with Anatomy Analysis, a ventricular lance, two Stim IVs, and four Flurry Guns. I had a couple of other agents carrying charge packs for him, and I was using Dynamo and had that "50% chance of +1 PWR each turn" augment in one of my jerks. I was also using Xu to disable stuff and crack firewalls on magnetically reinforced stuff so I could save PWR for murder sprees.

There were a lot of dead guards in the final mission. Like... a lot.

Team was Xu, Internationale, Shalem, and Decker, and it worked amazingly well; I even made fairly frequent use of Decker's Daemon-detection augment, which I previously thought was kind of bad. The banter was incredible - I particularly liked one discussion where Shalem tries to chump Xu by quizzing him about bullet velocity, and Xu starts rattling figures off taking weather conditions and sea level into account and Shalem's grudgingly like "...huh, maybe you're not as useless as I thought." Also, I'm not sure if it was random or if it actually checked my gameplay stats/team composition, but I had to laugh when I sent my agents into a corporate facility and Internationale said something like, "can we at least TRY to avoid collateral damage this time?" while Shalem checked one of his multiple Flurry Guns.

My only complaint about that campaign is that no cyberlabs popped up. Ever. Not a single goddamn one. I bought all my agents' augs at nanofabs or from Monster, and never got a chance to give any of them new aug ports. I'd have really liked to give Shalem another augmentation or two to further maximize his atrocious lethality.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 18, 2016

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Angry Diplomat posted:

The banter was incredible - I particularly liked one discussion where Shalem tries to chump Xu by quizzing him about bullet velocity, and Xu starts rattling figures off taking weather conditions and sea level into account and Shalem's grudgingly like "...huh, maybe you're not as useless as I thought."
Wait, when does this happen?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Shumagorath posted:

Wait, when does this happen?

You sometimes get banter between agents at the start of a mission, afaik.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, there's a modest chance of two of your agents bantering back and forth at the start of any given mission. I also got to see another conversation in which Decker asks whether Xu ever participated in any sports. Xu says he signed up for boxing in university. Decker's intrigued: "yeah? What was your record?"

"Zero and one" :v:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 19, 2016

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Those little chats are a great touch. There's one where Xu admonishes Decker for still drinking and he goes "psh yea whatever nerd"

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So I just ran my first campaign through to completion. It was my fourth try, I think? It was on easy baby mode, but even so it took a while to get used to all the systems. I first got turned onto the game by the Cool Ghosts Let's Play, which is a fun watch.

I started the run with Internationale (because wireless scanner is awesome) and Rush (because I like starting the game with AP since my third run died with a stationary armored guard blocking a door I needed to go through). Along the way I rescued Prism and Nika. It wasn't exactly a finesse run since by the end everyone had max Strength and Speed and Paralyzers so we pretty much just went around jumping and drugging and sitting on guards while everyone else moved around and got the job done. Still it was a lot of fun, though I think I'm going to set the game down for awhile to recharge before I jump up in difficulty.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
For those looking to move up in difficulty, this guy has an amazing series up where he plays ridiculously difficulty campaigns: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSzYc9hNynCVpd-BPJgMR--QDJ6wZIMko

I learned a lot by watching him, it's pre-DLC, but the concepts are the same regardless.

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

Fano posted:

For those looking to move up in difficulty, this guy has an amazing series up where he plays ridiculously difficulty campaigns: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSzYc9hNynCVpd-BPJgMR--QDJ6wZIMko

I learned a lot by watching him, it's pre-DLC, but the concepts are the same regardless.

woah! this is super cool, thanks for posting it

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I got this a couple of weeks ago. I loved how challenging it was when I jumped in head-first into Expert Plus mode without a clue, but I'm a little disappointed how easy it is to completely break the game over your knee once you understand how everything works and what the overpowered items and implants are. In my expansion campaign, I killed all the enemies on the final level in a single turn thanks to a Flurry Gun and Stim IV, then knocked out and teabagged the three Elite Enforcers with two of my agents, while the others kept planting Shock Traps on the guard teleporters and kept the scripted reinforcements bottled up.

It's much more fun and better balanced in the early game, when you don't have any decent equipment and programs.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're suppose to try to break the game, if you don't it gets hard real quick especially if you don't luck into some of that nice equipment like you did. That's when you have to use kiting shenanigans to make up for poor equipment. Kited 6+ dudes in one small room with a piece of cover, the odd shock trap, a bit of strategic killing and some intentional revealing on the final EXP level.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Hannibal Rex posted:

It's much more fun and better balanced in the early game, when you don't have any decent equipment and programs.

Yeah, my favourite part of the game is the first few missions after I roll random agents and programs and just have to make do. By mid-game, I've usually got what I want and nothing can stop me (except my own incompetence). It really shows in those run-throughs on that youtube channel a few posts above.

I also dislike the predictability of the number of safes etc on a level. I think it's 5 per level by default, and there's no variability, so once you've got eyes on 5 safes you know there's no point looking for another. I think the same applies to the number of rooms, which is even worse (but I might be wrong on that).

I'd love to see some "spanner in the works" mechanics for later missions, like an agent suddenly being unavailable for a mission or items needing repairs (or outright breaking). More random stuff to throw the experienced player right off into panic mode.

I'm sure mods could make these tweaks easily, but I haven't seen any that do these things.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
You do get some really amazing war stories, though.

Yesterday, in the second or third mission of my Faust/Brimstone run, I was pretty much already on alarm level 5 or 6 by the time I got eyes on Nika in the detention center with Monst3r. I was hoping the software compiler cooked up something useful, so Control had gone there, but only picked up a useless Rogue program. On her way back, she got pinned in the elevator, and had to teleport out, leaving Monst3r and Nika in the detention center, with the only item between them Monst3r's 8 round cooldown tranq gun, and some 8 guards between them and the exit. I managed to sneak up to a secondary server, and lo and behold, it had Ping. With that, Nika made her way back to the elevator, with Monst3r a turn behind. Ping had distracted most of the guards, but Nika had to shoot one guy in the elevator, and Enforcers were coming her way from a side passage. If they got into the room, they'd block Monst3r from leaving. I left Nika one step outside the exit, and sure enough, as soon as they saw her, the enforcers went into overwatch instead of entering the room. Monst3r ran into the exit, Nika went one step back out of their line of sight, and we were out of there.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

With the Ventricular Lance, can you use it on your turn, then activate Ambush/Overwatch and have it apply to that attack? Alternately, can you use it when the enemy has you in sight without getting shot?

My Expert Faust/Brimstone run (Central/Xu) breezed to success by a Lockpick 1.0 and an Econ Chip. Just started one with Archive Shalem, Sharp, Seed/Mercenary, probably this will be less broken. Lots of beating up guards that I don't need to, just so I can steal from them .. somebody should probably get Anarchy. Still keeping lethal as a backup rather than a main plan, until I can find Anatomy Analysis for Shalem.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, how the heck do turrets work? Sometimes I hack them and they kill guards, sometimes they just go into overwatch on 'em, and sometimes nothing happens. What gives?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They run out of ammo. I think they only have 1-3 bursts. They will continue to overwatch though until destroyed.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

oohhboy posted:

They run out of ammo. I think they only have 1-3 bursts. They will continue to overwatch though until destroyed.

That makes sense, except that the last time I hacked a turret it had never fired at my dudes, and it overwatched a guy but didn't fire on him. :confused:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Did they ever patch drag+stand to incap two guards at once? It's the only way I ever beat the final mission.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Did they ever patch drag+stand to incap two guards at once? It's the only way I ever beat the final mission.

Nope. I've been doing it today on my latest Endless run. I don't think they ever will patch it out, given that there are posts about it early on in the thread.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

That makes sense, except that the last time I hacked a turret it had never fired at my dudes, and it overwatched a guy but didn't fire on him. :confused:

There are two ways to hack turrets, the control system or the power system it is attached to. When you hack the control you own it now and it will fire on the guards but not you. Most of the time hacking the control costs more in power and/or daemons. Hacking the power allows you to turn it on and off. Turning them off even when converted is useful as you might not want it to be blasting everything it sees, cranking up the alarm level uncontrollably before you are ready.

Turrets obey the same shooting rules as guards, they will target first then fire on subsequent movement that is in it's LOS or fire when it gets it's turn.

It's a bucket of laughs though when you hack turrets with the intention of murdering all humansguards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

oohhboy posted:

It's a bucket of laughs though when you hack turrets with the intention of murdering all humansguards.

It is and it isn't - I'm running endless missions specifically for credits, and now I've got dead guys everywhere as I hacked the turrets just to sneak 'em by - I think you can turn them off, but I forgot to that mission.

On the upside, they are always great for distracting guards, even when they're out of ammo. "Firing on turret!"

Oh, also: my new favorite team is archive!Prism, archive!Internationale, Banks and Xu. Never worry about cameras as you skyrocket the alarm for unlimited power, and use Prism's unlimited cloak to scout out where to send Xu while Banks unlocks things and provides backup as Internationale goes on guard-KOing duty. Or killing duty, I suppose, when the situation calls for it. I just completed a mission in Day 7 where they'll find like a dozen guards laid out sleeping with all the safes hanging open.

• Locked thread