Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

If you find a Smoke Grenade in a Fabricator, buy it. It is an excellent "get out of jail free" card that grunts can't even see through one square of it. They'll only detect you if you end next to them.
Got myself out of a jam this way. No less than 3 guards were lined up in front of Banks, clogging a doorway and threatening her b/c of my own impatience. She also was one turn away from a melee charge. One smoke grenade to the middle courtesy of Internationale broke the overwatch and allowed Banks to nick a Charge Pack off of the threatening guard. Two ZAPs and a turn later left one confused guard staring at a wall and both agents in the elevator.
Lesson learned: be much more careful of non-easy guard pathing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wizard Styles posted:

I like this game a lot, but the writing left me completely cold. The basic gameplay, the UI, the graphics and sound, holy poo poo all those settings, it's all great, but I couldn't get invested in either the story or the characters.
The only things that stuck out to me after I'd finished my first campaign were that Monst3r is dumb and needs to shut up and that the ending is a bit annoying because I couldn't see an option to not do the obviously stupid thing and I didn't care enough to feel much of an emotional impact, just slight irritation that I was unable to get a better result.
Also, I can't help but compare this to Jagged Alliance 2 on some level, and I wish I could care about Invisible Inc.'s agents the same way I do for my mercs, but that's not happening.

Still going to have a lot of fun with this. I haven't even gotten around to trying out my new unlocks or loving around with the million campaign settings and I already feel like I got my money's worth.

Voice acting would go a long way to give the characters some life. Just basic chatter and a one liner for various actions would be fine. As it is they're just a portrait and a cybernetic passive.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
Just had the weirdest final mission.

To start off, the two key rooms were literally one room away from the starting room, as well as right next to each other. Incognita is getting really good at teleporting!!

"Where is that hacker?? Probably not behind that giant computer that's being hacked!! :downs:"

I almost feel cheated?

Anyway, trip report on Central+Monst3r+Faust+Brimstone: absurdly fun. I was most excited for daemonic reversal, but it doesn't really happen that often. It's a nice surprise when it does, though. What this setup offers is overflowing amounts of power. You almost welcome daemons, just for the power increase. (Except for Paradox, gently caress that guy.) Monst3r is decent, he's got his ammo-less gun and high hacking skill. I wish his augment was more interesting, though.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Demiurge4 posted:

Voice acting would go a long way to give the characters some life. Just basic chatter and a one liner for various actions would be fine. As it is they're just a portrait and a cybernetic passive.
No lie, it took me until the second to last mission to notice that my agents actually got things to say at mission start.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'll ask here as well.
Finished the game on beginner and experienced on my first tries yesterday, but is there any more to the story if you play on expert(It's wrecking me so far)? Some games have additional story elements if you play on higher difficulties, and the story in this seems rather lacking in some aspects. The ending particularly wasn't very satisfying, and felt like a cliffhanger.
The story in general feels like the weakest part of the game, there isn't really any differences at all for each time you play, which makes it just blend into the background. I wish they had made some sort of randomized campaigns with some different objectives, like for example a couple of different unique missions every few days or something.

Other than that i'm really loving it! The gameplay is really fun, even if the level generator can be incredibly unforgiving at times.(Second room in the first mission has 3 guards all looking towards the starting room? Sure, game).

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 13, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Broken Cog posted:

I'll ask here as well.
Finished the game on beginner and experienced on my first tries yesterday, but is there any more to the story if you play on expert(It's wrecking me so far)? Some games have additional story elements if you play on higher difficulties, and the story in this seems rather lacking in some aspects. The ending particularly wasn't vary satisfying, and felt like a cliffhanger.
The story in general feels like the weakest part of the game, there isn't really any differences at all for each time you play, which makes it just blend into the background. I wish they had made some sort of randomized campaigns with some different objectives, like for example a couple of different unique missions every few days or something.

Other than that i'm really loving it! The gameplay is really fun, even if the level generator can be incredibly unforgiving at times.(Second room in the first mission has 3 guards all looking towards the starting room? Sure, game).

:xcom:
Like XCOM's story as its campaign framework, the story is pretty much a framework to explain 72 hours and your starting point of "2 agents and no resources". The title screen and opening cutscene, however, make me really pine for the non-existent Invisble Inc. animated series, in prequel form, that we will never have. Central reminds me of a less horrible Malory Archer in the best way.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
I like this game a bunch and will try to get all the achievements. I generally prefer using Rapier as the starting program for maximum go-fast, and the Prism operative works very well with the Seed power source. Rapier drops off in usefulness in late-game Endless though when the start-of-the-mission Daemon can either up all hacking costs by +2 or advances alarm level to 2 straight off.

There's a nice hidden feature for situations where everything goes FUBAR:

Sadly Central doesn't have anything witty to say.

Also randomly found a dev easter egg by moving in and out of the Monst3r vendor:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

are people really complaining about the story in a roguelike tactics game?

Idk what the unlock conditions are but I got 2 agents randomly after my 3rd mission.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

deadly_pudding posted:

:xcom:
Like XCOM's story as its campaign framework, the story is pretty much a framework to explain 72 hours and your starting point of "2 agents and no resources". The title screen and opening cutscene, however, make me really pine for the non-existent Invisble Inc. animated series, in prequel form, that we will never have. Central reminds me of a less horrible Malory Archer in the best way.

I haven't played the classic X-coms but I got the feeling their campaigns were long enough that you could at the very least get somewhat attached to your dudes.
You can easily finish a campaign run of this game in a couple of hours, in which exactly one mission is somewhat unique(and it's the same mission every time), which I feel really hurts the game.
As I said, if there just was a couple of different campaigns with different "ending" missions, so you had something different to aim for in the preparation missions each time, I would absolutely love it.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm having a lot of fun with the game thus far: I'm just worried I might grow tired of it quickly.

Anyone know the dev's stance on modding? Custom campaigns(Other than just the generic parameters) would add a lot to this game.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Idk what the unlock conditions are but I got 2 agents randomly after my 3rd mission.
All agents are unlocked by campaign exp except for two, which you unlock by beating the game on experienced.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 13, 2015

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

MinibarMatchman posted:

When a game is good in almost all aspects, the faults just shine brighter.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of, anyone know anything about the "Meta hacking" achievement?

Considering the name, and the nature of the game, I'm guessing it's the same as some of the stuff in Hack'N Slash in that you have to explore or modify the game game files themselves in some way to unlock it.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 13, 2015

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I really enjoyed playing this through on Beginner. Once I get time I'm gonna start cranking up the difficulty and hopefully see a few more things that I know I missed. I was on a mission to get augmented and it was right around when enemies with shields and daemons start popping up. I had the Crossbow.exe which kills daemons and had everything planned out to smash and grab once it reloaded, but I jacked some energy and my mind poo poo its pants. I dumbly hacked a daemon which increased the firewalls on everything by one, and it was early in the map (turn 3 or so). I was in such an energy drought that I hacked every console I could find and was still just barely shutting down the cameras I needed to escape. So many safes left unplundered, so many augments left uninstalled.

I compensated my under equipped team by freeing two more agents and spending my credits on upgrading abilities. Big shout out to my man Dr. Zaz(?) who, despite initially appearing completely useless, was able to overload the shield of a guard on the last mission with his augment and later sit on top of him, saving my team much needed power and giving Monst3r some room to breathe. I'm glad I understand that final mission more now. I don't think it was clear enough that Monst3r has to be the one to hit the objectives, which meant he kept running from one side of the map to the other.

Great game, can't wait to play it again.

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Is it just me or is the ambush mechanic not working? I open a door to coax a guard to my location, have an agent beside the door on taser ambush, only for the guard to stop past the door and immediately spot my agent without the overwatch proc'ing. Is this working as intended?

Had you recently used your taser? I think it will let you put your agents into Ambush Mode even if they can't use any attacks.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 13, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If the guard has armour, and your melee weapon doesn't have any piercing, ambushing won't work.

Edit: gently caress running into Akuma drones in security 1 areas. They really should be exclusive to higher security areas when you have tools to deal with them.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 13, 2015

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

stiknork posted:

I like using guns as a safety net if I'm doing an ironman run or anything like that.

wait.. are you "stik"? THE stik?

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

is that verviticus, famous hockey fan and top tier spy from the Lost Continents tf2 server

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Anyone else trying Expert Plus? I had minimal problems with Expert, but the combination of more guards, KOing guards (inevitable since there's so many) adding to your alarm, and no sightlines for poo poo out of your FOV is absolutely brutal. I haven't made it past the second mission in like 5 tries.

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

I've tried it a couple times but never beaten it. Having to peek around every door to make sure there's no camera there kills me every time :(

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

stiknork posted:

is that verviticus, famous hockey fan and top tier spy from the Lost Continents tf2 server

ya!! how do you like the game

stiknork posted:

I've tried it a couple times but never beaten it. Having to peek around every door to make sure there's no camera there kills me every time :(

god who was responsible for that design flaw

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Just beat the game on expert. Holy dick that was hard. The last mission was a horrifying standoff with 6 guards hunting through a room with pillars as my agents dragged guard bodies to and fro to stay out of sight.

This game rules.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Endless is a bitch. Even when the difficulty settings are set the same as say experienced, the levels just seem a lot harder on a stage per stage basis.

Great game though. I got through the experienced campaign by the skin of my teeth. On the final mission I had one guy with an AP gun, and no AP melee or stun weapons. Both objective rooms were at the point furthest from the starting area (though mercifully adjacent to each other) when I finally worked my way over to them, the alarm was on 5, and I had one bullet left. I played a lot of peekaboo in the mainframe room after I fired that last round.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

stiknork posted:

Have you tried opening the doors?

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

yeah but I always forget to because I'm so used to expert

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Hank Morgan posted:

I think the most overpowered character ability/augment combo I got playing this game was Internationale's remote hacking and the augment that gave you extra movement points whenever you hacked something. I was zipping across entire levels like I had wheels on.

End mission tip: bring along some armour piercing weapons.

Yeah, I gave this to Internationale and there would be turns where she just ran halfway across the map.

Though I think giving it to Nika would have ended up being even stupider.

This game is honestly AMAZING, especially for the purchase price.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
On my first beginner run I found a gun that had infinite ammo, but cost 4 POW per shot. I didn't realize how good that is until I played a bit of experienced and expert, but I've never found it again. :(

Edit: What's everyone's favourite agents? Internationale seems best by a mile, but I'm really liking Banks for her customized paralyzing toxin. It's invaluable on higher difficulties.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 14, 2015

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Broken Cog posted:

On my first beginner run I found a gun that had infinite ammo, but cost 4 POW per shot. I didn't realize how good that is until I played a bit of experienced and expert, but I've never found it again. :(

Edit: What's everyone's favourite agents? Internationale seems best by a mile, but I'm really liking Banks for her customized paralyzing toxin. It's invaluable on higher difficulties.

I had one that was 4 POW per shot and had AP 2, but could only be fired once per mission. That run was on endless mode, with Faust and Brimstone running (this is a terrible combination as soon as Central dies. By the time I found the gun I was down to just Monster He survived another 6 mission despite being my only agent.

This game is severely damaging my plans to run through the Witcher 2 again before the Witcher 3 hits next week.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I like the Archived version of Nika and the On File version of Banks. Archive Banks starts with a tranq pistol and no melee weapon (but still has her custom toxin), and her implant lets her get cash instead of power from terminals. It's neat, but if you pair it with the On File version of Nika (where her taser takes power to use), you can end up draining a lot of power very quickly, and all the cash in the world isn't gonna help you sneak past two cameras and a guard (well, it might, IF you get a nano-fab and IF it has a cloaking device and IF you have the implant slot open for it, maybe, but that's a lot of ifs).

Internationale is fun, too. Sucking power through walls is always handy. I haven't tried Shalem 11, Dr. Tony, or the two newest characters (not the unlockable-by-story ones at the end of the row) yet, though. I haven't ever tried Shalem, though, just because that Lethal tag on his rifle makes me leery. I don't want to kill dudes that I can sneak past or knock out, and a lot of (all?) the guards have the heart monitor thing that goes off if they die.

In that vein, what programs do people like to use for Incognita? I tried a run with Power Drip and Rapier, and I found myself in a cycle where I didn't have enough power to hack something, so I had to wait a couple turns, but those turns were enough to tick over the alarm to the next level, so Rapier cost even more to use. It's handy early on, when you're zipping around the facility hacking things left and right, though I think I would have rather had Lockpick.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 14, 2015

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Parasite was amazing once I unlocked it / there was a program from a previous run that took off 3 firewall levels for 1 power + 3 turn cooldown. I also used the program that zapped daemons for 5 power, it's useful if you can identify them first to know which to target.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
Dr. Xu is probably straight up the strongest agent. The ability to ignore firewalls and daemons on safes saves you so much power it's insane. He's boring though so I don't use him.

Internationale is great, too. Just walking around exposes a wealth of devices begging to be hacked. Good thing you've got all that power from consoles. As a bonus, you can entirely avoid going into those closets with like a camera and a single console.

EDIT: Ping has saved my hide more than once, and Wisp is more than worth it just for the no-AP observe. Permanently tracking all guards? Holy poo poo.

abardam fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 14, 2015

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Broken Cog posted:

Playing without Internationale seems like a huge handicap, definitely, but Nika is just ridiculous and the mental image of a Russian girl on stimulants hotswapping between four different tasers deserves at least its own short film.

beats for junkies posted:

In that vein, what programs do people like to use for Incognita? I tried a run with Power Drip and Rapier, and I found myself in a cycle where I didn't have enough power to hack something, so I had to wait a couple turns, but those turns were enough to tick over the alarm to the next level, so Rapier cost even more to use. It's handy early on, when you're zipping around the facility hacking things left and right, though I think I would have rather had Lockpick.

I like Fusion, it's strictly better than Power Drip most of the time. I usually just stick with Lockpick and try to buy a Wrench program early on.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
What characters do you get for beating the game on expert?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Central and Monst3r, they're an interesting duo to play with.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I've wanted to buy this since Early Access, but I never have the cash when it comes down to it. I'll have to wait for my tax rebates, but absolutely getting it.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
invisible inc is one of the best strategy rpgs ever made, it was immediately among the top entries at the beginning of greenlight and they have only added more to it since then. similar can be said for both mark of the ninja and dont starve. it seems a bit strange to me this one little company put out three of the best games in these very different genres in such a short span of time.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
I just got to the final mission. Gonna attempt it tomorrow, I just played for 3 hours straight and loved every moment.

Beginner difficulty however has felt very... beginner, up until the last mission before final, with sec level 4. Ended that one literally just busting my tail out to the elevator, security levels be damned.

Edit: The new Three Moves Ahead episode is about the game, and has two devs from Klei on it. An interesting retrospective on how the game came to be, in terms of design.

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 14, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What actually happens on security warning level 5 and 6? I tend to try and rush as fast as I can through the levels(while gathering as much as I feel safe grabbing), so I've never actually hit those levels.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 14, 2015

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
On beginner, they warp in one and two elite guards respectively. Armoured and they chuck out detection grenades. After level6 it just sits there since if you can sustain it, lol.

I once had a mission that went well past turn 40 as a guy got left behind by the team who had warped out, he was hiding behind a locker repositioning with a stealth device. Super stressful, he made it tho

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anybody else get this bug, all the female characters and portraits during missions are wrong, ie internationale has felicity's model and portrait? Reinstalling didn't fix it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

First legitimately impossible level I've run into.
Those laser beams are lethal, so you can't path through them, and the opening in the wall on the bottom left of the room is blocked by a console. The two rooms to the left are just the starting room and a connected one. No other rooms connected to them.

Seems the level generator isn't flawless, even if it is drat good.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Are lasers lethal on higher difficulties? For me they just raise the alarm level like a camera when you run through them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Serephina posted:

Are lasers lethal on higher difficulties? For me they just raise the alarm level like a camera when you run through them

It was actually the first time I've noticed that particular type of laser, but I tend to just try and avoid going through them anyway, so I might not have been paying too much attention. I know there are lasers that trigger alarms or activates a daemon as well.
Fortunately it was just the second mission in the campaign, so not much was lost.

• Locked thread