Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Beat Expert with the most ridiculous ending. My Expert team was Xu (who is completely broken, btw) and Banks. Banks actually got ko'd early on, and I had to run like 3 missions with just Xu. Ended the game with Xu and Shalem, who didn't have a weapon, and things got a little hairy while I was trying to get Monst3r from the security station to the mainframe. Did I mention Xu is completely broken?

I expect a lot of failure. Running with Internationale and Banks on Ironman Expert Plus right now if anyone wants to watch: http://www.hitbox.tv/TastyLemonDrops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Thanks for watching. I learned a couple new things, and remembered a few others, like Expert Plus turning off the ability to melee enemies who have vision of you. While Shalem is of questionable use below Expert Plus, he is very clearly a good character once you get up there. Starting with a 2 shot weapon (with 2 penetration) allows you to get out of sticky situations where you're in a face off with guards and can't melee because it's turned off in Expert Plus. A few of the Archive characters are actually a lot more useful in Expert Plus as well. Decker starts with a 6 shot revolver and a better starting augment at the cost of losing cloak. Shalem starts with a 3 shot pistol and a better disruptor at the cost of armor penetration. Banks starts with a 2 shot gun, but her On File variant is probably better.

Going to keep streaming some more Endless Plus before I head to bed: http://www.hitbox.tv/TastyLemonDrops

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Why do you like Xu so much?

His Subdermal Tools lets him loot corporate safes, executive terminals, and vault safes for free (and bypasses daemons). That part doesn't work with shops/cybernetic augmenters, but that'd just be dumb. Subdermal Tools also can disable drones and other various things of use, allowing you to save up power for more pressing matters. He also starts with a Modded Shock Trap that KO's guards for an additional turn more than the default Neural Disruptors (which Xu also starts with). You can set up traps to safeguard your rear, or keep one particular guard completely out of the picture by setting a trap next to a door after he's been KO'd. He will wake up and probably open that door, knocking him out again without you even being nearby. It also completely ignores armor, which is a godsend when you're up against Armor 4+ guards. Finally, Xu is the only character other than Nika who can by default KO two guards in a turn, and he uses cooldowns instead of power.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 16, 2015

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Being methodical as hell in expert plus iron man but still running into a stationary guard hiding behind a pillar at the end of a long hallway will never stop being hilarious.

:xcom:

Also, if anyone is curious, the augment that prevents the alarm increase on kill is literally useless in expert plus.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Why? I've never been fortunate enough to have the credits to buy a lethal weapon AND get that augment, always curious if it's worth the money sink.

Kills will still increase the alarm, presumably because the +Alarm on KO is separate from +Alarm on death. It's definitely not worth the price of admission, I think.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Streaming Ironman Expert Plus again: http://www.hitbox.tv/TastyLemonDrops

Come watch me make questionable decisions all in the name of espionage.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Done streaming, thanks for watching. Thanks to Kooriken for making me pick Seed, which is actually a ton better than I initially gave it credit for. I think I might actually prefer it over any of the others.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I feel like I'll win expert plus ironman tonight. Come and make fun of me as I fail: http://www.hitbox.tv/TastyLemonDrops

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I feel like I'll win expert plus ironman tonight. Come and make fun of me as I fail: http://www.hitbox.tv/TastyLemonDrops

Thanks everyone who watched. I just beat Expert Plus on Ironman with Prism and Archive Banks (+50 credits for every power on a console was killer, and the item itself is worth 400 when you sell), running Seed and Brimstone. I offer some advice for people playing the highest difficulty:

1) Ranged weapons are super valuable. They are completely unneeded in Expert and below, but essential for Expert Plus, and absolutely essential for Expert Plus Ironman.
2) Money is a lot more important than you might realize, which leads to:
A) Hit up a server farm as soon as you've got the funds to buy 2-3 programs. There's a lot more utility to be had between marking all visible guards with Wisp, gaining control of a camera instantly with Oracle, distracting with Ping, lowering guard sight range with Shadow, etc. Leash and Seed make Sankaku missions completely trivial, because you can safely hack the majority of the guards for long durations (just kill the human guards, preferably with the drones themselves)
B) Hit up every Nanofab and Secondary Server you can safely reach, even if it delays exiting the mission for a turn or two. I ended up buying like 4 weapons and 5 charge packs to refill on ammo. Smoke and flash bombs are great as well.
C) You do not need to upgrade your characters all that much, unless you have great items that have requirements. At least for me, stats in order of importance: Strength, Speed, Anarchy, Hacking. Being able to drag guards and allies around quickly is invaluable.
D) If an item/augment/program seems mediocre to you, you should probably reconsider. Mediocre items in Expert and below turn into amazing items in Expert Plus. The only one I would say is useless is the augment that prevents +alert on kill.
3) Don't be afraid to straight up kill guards if you think it'll be advantageous. Dead guards not only make the mission easier, but the bodies can be used to distract other guards. The +2 alarm on kill is completely negligible because you will be hitting alert 5/6 more often than not anyway. Would you rather be at alert 6 with more guards, or at alert 6 with less guards? I thought so.
4) It's worth dragging KO'd guards around so they don't wake up. Their bodies can be used as distractions when you're closer to the front lines, as well.
5) Don't be afraid to stand out in the open! If you're aware of every guard in the vicinity and have them tagged or observed, you can actually make quite a bit of progress by standing out in the open:
A) Take advantage of how sight works. You can move your characters literally right next to guards, and as long as they move straight, they won't see you, even if they turn around.
B) If a guard turns even slightly, you'll get spotted; but you can just position your character on the other side.
C) You can keep one un-KO'd guard out of the picture if you're willing to commit a character to it: The guard must be right in front of a door, and your character must be in the same room. Just open the door from the side, then move behind the guard. Because the door was opened from the guard's room, he won't move into the next room, and will look side to side (which is why you move behind the guard after). Rinse and repeat.
D) The last ! takes precedence over everything else, as long as your characters aren't spotted. Leaving bodies on the path to you is actually helpful because more often than not, guards will turn right back around after discovering a body.
E) Keep doors closed if you don't want guards heading in that direction. They will eventually come in that direction, but in my experience, guards who have no clue where you are will always head for open doors first. That being said, keep doors open to dead ends, or rooms you want guards to head toward.

One final bit: Peek, open door, peek. If you aren't doing this for every single room you come across, you're either in a rush or being way too ballsy (which you cannot afford to be in ironman)

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 18, 2015

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Demiurge4 posted:

I was on my way out on a particularly brutal mission where one of my agents was down but I had a clear run to the exit with my other two. I went with my gut and sent Internationale back to drag her to the exit (no med gel) but she caught got and died as well and I only escaped with one agent. The next mission was the final one and I had a really lovely layout and I went down quipping.

Now? gently caress 'em, I'm a lot better at the game but if the choice is leaving someone behind or getting out with more I'll take the latter anytime now. If you lose someone halfway through you actually have a good chance of rescuing them too so it's not a total loss.

If you're going to leave someone behind, at least try and get all their equipment. Losing a character isn't actually all that bad, but losing 1000+ credits worth of gear is.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Having played more expert plus, I think I actually prefer Archive Internationale over her On File variant.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Lichtenstein posted:

Prism + Parasite is quite ridiculous. Hack up to three devices at a time for free and actually gain power from hacking if you do less. This combo allows you to either stop bothering with clicking Fusion/consoles forever, or to go on a spree with Nika/miscellaneous Incognita powers. Shame she's (afaik) not in the detention center pool, because she'd make for a much better itemless find than Decker or Shalem.

Shalem is actually a good detention center find. 1 armor penetration is really good, even if it's only on ranged weapons. Does anybody know if you get archive characters from detention centers?

EDIT: Time for ironman endless plus! http://www.hitbox.tv/TastyLemonDrops

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 18, 2015

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

abardam posted:

Yeah, detention centers are probably a good idea. Even with no upgrades, the extra agent will be useful in the last mission just for running around and distracting guards.

Just finished Expert Plus with Archive Banks and Archive Internationale! You'll get an absolute shitton of money with these guys. Imagine: every console is a safe; every guard is also a safe. I decided to spend my cash on Speed, and it really helps in this mode! You pretty much have to peek-open-peek through every door, and the extra buffer of movement guarantees that you'll find a place to hide if someone catches you peeping. It also helps you get in those hard-to-reach places to pickpocket guards.

I went with Fusion and Parasite for some reason. It's a bit tight at the beginning, but if you manage to conserve power you'll have a comfortable amount for later on. Luckily, I also found an Abacus, which helped a lot when I decided to upgrade to Parasite v2.

It's actually rather interesting knowing which characters people win expert plus with. I'm sure playing ironman changes it somewhat, but a lot of the bad or mediocre characters end up being amazing. I wonder if it's just getting good enough to take advantage of the strengths, or them being good regardless?

I managed to reach day 6 on ironman endless plus. I didn't get either of the day 5 achievements. :colbert:

EDIT:
Right at the beginning of every mission. What a bitch.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Yeah, I won expert plus ironman with Archive Banks and Prism myself. A lot of the archive agents are 'mediocre' in difficulties lower than expert plus simply because their on file variants are more straightforward to use, and ranged/lethal weapons simply aren't necessary. I've been playing balls to the wall maximum greed even when things are looking poo poo, as people who watch my stream can attest. Going for the ten day endless plus ironman sometime this week.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Bhodi posted:

The most annoying thing so far has been cameras i can't see with peek. I lose so much time when I open the door and get spotted, then have to run or knock the guard out. Being able to id them through the wall is way more useful than remote hack, honestly. I have to get close for Econ, anyway.

I had to abandon a run last night when my spawn room opened up into a hallway with three patrolling guards and a camera I couldn't see pointing at the door. Ended up knocking all 3 out but couldn't get past them before another guard spawned.

If Expert + has taught me anything, peek -> open -> peek should be part of everybody's routine. If you can't see the camera after that, it's because you have cover that'll let you move further in before you can peek again.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I'm actually taking Archive Decker in my Ironman Endless + runs now, just so I don't get his On File variant from detention centers. The revolver is just a bonus. Archive Banks and Archive Shalem also don't start with augments, assuming you can get Archive agents from detention centers. So far that hasn't been the case for me though. Everybody else has a useful augment on both their variants.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 19, 2015

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Bhodi posted:

Well, you peek, and see the red so you know there's a camera or a guard but you can't see either. So you open the door to peek again so you can hack the camera, and the camera spots you and a guard's on his way to investigate and you also take the security hit. :(

On the + difficulties, you only see the guard/camera sightlines if you actually have sight on the target in question, which is why overabundance of caution is best. Definitely open the doors from the sides though, which also happens the be the appropriate location to stand to ambush them.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Stik, if you're still around, there's a bug with the exit codes in Endless that I found out while streaming last night. You can use the exit keycard on vault doors, and it doesn't use them up. The exit keycard will still be in your inventory, and it can be taken to the next mission as long as you didn't use it on the actual exit door.

EDIT: I'm streaming Endless + right now, if you wanna watch and get some pointers. http://www.hitbox.tv/TastyLemonDrops

EDIT2: Torque Injectors work with disrupters. Archive Nika has an augment that reduces all item cooldowns by 1 whenever she uses a disrupter. Archive Nika's disrupter attacks have no cooldown with a torque injector.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 19, 2015

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

redreader posted:

Sounds like it's by-design, because it would trigger an unwinnable situation otherwise.

It's more the problem that you can use a single keycard to open up the vault AND the exit if you want. As far as I'm aware, every level that has a locked exit should have a set of exit keycards somewhere in the level.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I am about to put 3 Cloaking Rig IIIs and a Holocircuit Overloader on Archive Nika, who already has a Torque Injector, in addition to her Discharge Re-router. :getin:

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Back to streaming this super dumb Archive Nika with three Cloaking Rigs: http://www.hitbox.tv/TastyLemonDrops

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Stik, do you know if it's intended that I get +12 power every so often from Archive Internationale at Alarm 6? I know you get the +12 power immediately upon reaching 6, but sometimes I just get another +12 out of the blue.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

jsr v2.0 posted:

I beat this on Beginner for the first time last night, and felt super accomplished. Now I guess I need to do one of the real difficulties.GOTY btw.

Even Expert is just training mode for Expert Plus. Definitely one of my GotY too.

EDIT:
Oh come on!

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 21, 2015

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Did anybody look at the patch notes that just went up? This caught my attention:

quote:

Xu can disable heart monitors
. Truly the most broken agent.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Blisster posted:

I would love an XCom length campaign for this game. Let me have a stable of agents to choose from, even if I can only take 4 on a mission.

The ending certainly seems abrupt. There's not really enough lead up or character development to make the impact I think they were going for. But that's really secondary for me. I enjoyed the story for what it was the first time around, and have pretty much ignored it on subsequent playthroughs.

I don't know though, the game is short and sweet, sure. But it's super polished and playing through again doesn't feel the same because of the variety in missions and agents. The campaign ramps up in difficulty and complexity really nicely. I'm not sure if it would work as well stretched out over a longer game. Has anyone messed around with Endless mode much?

There technically is a 'story' in Endless mode that is completely different from the actual story. Central's got something new to say every day you survive; it's basically business as usual if the organization hadn't been busted in the first place.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
There's already a side mission to rescue a courier during Security Dispatch missions.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
The jump in difficulty from Beginner to Expert shouldn't really be apparent at all, unless you rely on rewinds. Expert to Expert Plus is basically Beginner to Expert Plus is what I'm saying.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm in the last mission of the beginner/tutorial campaign, and I'm a little lost as to what I'm supposed to do: I brought Monst3r to the giant blast door + terminal, he did the several-turn long hacking thing, Incognita starting writing a new program, and the objectives now read "Access the Corporate Mainframe" and "Bring Monst3r to the final security console". Is there another story console somewhere in the level that I'm missing? The only unexplored room is on the opposite end of the level, and I really don't want to make the trip now that security is liberally peeing omni elites at me.

Could it be that the final console is in that specific area? :monocle:

EDIT: It's a room with a giant set of vault doors.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, this is the right room, right?

After Monst3r finishes the hack, what object am I supposed to interact with? I don't get any options putting him next to the mainframe or the door.

That is decidedly not the room at all. It is a room with a huge set of sliding vault doors. If nothing looks like it, it might very well be in that one room you haven't explored.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Omi no Kami posted:

Ooh okay, that's reassuring- the orange light thingie looks vaguely like a bank vault to me, so I'd been under the impression that it was blast/vault doors.

Try rotating the map to make sure you haven't missed it in another room. It should have a console right in front of it.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Yeah, just kill everybody and save yourself the hassle. I once tried to do a complete ghost run in Expert+ on a mission; it took 3 turns to move a single agent through a room because of the guards' patrol paths, and I had to move three agents through. I did way more damage to myself by waiting those 9 turns instead of just taking the guards out of the picture. All the corporations are easy with specific setups: KEO just needs decent hacking, Sankaku is a complete joke with Leash, Plastech requires a willingness and means to kill those lovely hacker guards, and FTM's gimmick isn't really all that troublesome, to be honest. I usually move fast enough that I can find the scanner before Alarm 1.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Shumagorath posted:

I just tested it. It will distract all the guards within the yellow AoE to investigate a spot centred on your cursor.

Edit: gently caress I was THIS >< close to beating that hallway but alarm level 3 hit and spawned an extra guard who started with Banks and killed everyone else because he had infinite overwatch attacks. Up until that point I'd taken out everyone except Mr. 8 in the lower right, and he'd run off in the completely wrong direction. Everyone else had been trying to drag bodies into the lower left room which turned out to be the security hub, so they were all in the way and I couldn't shake him no matter how many doors I slammed. The plan had been to pile everyone in there and set a shock trap for anyone who came to check.

Eventually he shot Monst3r before he could peek out for a shot with the only AP3 gun I had. I conceded after that, but I think it's bullshit that he ran right through my cover grenade I used to block the door. Would Ping have distracted him or was the guy hell-bent on Monst3r?

I was ONE turn away from getting all the KO'd guards into the security room and winning that.

You can even ping the room that guards spawn in to keep them in there for another turn or two.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

fspades posted:

Any tips and load-out suggestions for expert difficulty? It's kicking my rear end right now, but I believe archive Banks is a right choice due to her econ chip.

Also, are there any good LPs for this game that would help me to suck less?

My first suggestion is to jump straight into Expert+, but I am a crazy person who always tries to loot every single safe in a level, even at max alarm state, so vOv.

I'm a fan of Seed/Daemon starts. The most straightforward starting agents in higher difficulties are ones that can kill guards, so Archive Decker (bonus of OF Decker not being in the rescue pool for prison missions) and any iteration of Shalem. I tell people to jump straight into Expert+ because it is a completely different game, and you will pick up bad habits even from Expert. Being afraid of killing people is one of those bad habits. Dead guards can't shoot your guys, and having free reign to do whatever for a period of time is nice. If you're dead set on not killing anyone, put a lot of points into strength to drag people into convenient locations and employ the nefarious strategy of standing over them while dragging a body to keep two KO'd guards down at the same time. Just be careful: You can't melee if you're on top of a body, and you obviously can't do anything if you're dragging a body, on top of another one, and get caught.

If you want to roll with A. Banks (and that is an excellent choice, since money is really important for the early game), set it up so that one of your agents can operate alone ahead of the one sitting back gobbling up all the money. Max our the econ chip holder's hacking too, since you get 50 more for each level of hacking. All the agents have their niches, and while I wouldn't say any are straight up bad, you will be pretty disappointed if you ended up rescuing OF Decker, since his starting augment is useless.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

fspades posted:

You mean Seed/Brimstone, right? It's an interesting combo I haven't thought about. I tried A. Banks and Internationale, but I'm thinking Wu or Sharp might be more useful. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, Seed/Brimstone. Haven't played in a while :v:
Prism and Archive Internationale work very well with that, since they generate power on their own, to make up for the fact that Incognita is just passively reducing the cost of the first program. Ideally you should gather up enough money in your first two missions to go to a server farm and buy up the rest of what you need.

EDIT: Gonna stream some more Endless+ Ironman. Bear with me though, it's been a while since I last played, so I'm probably not completely in the groove of things.

http://www.hitbox.tv/tastylemondrops

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 1, 2015

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
A lot of the third tier items need nerfing.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Guns are not necessary in beginner at all. Funnily enough though, if you ARE relying on guns in beginner, you're actually in much better shape than someone who has played experienced when moving up to expert.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
One more thing is to weigh the benefits of waiting some turns vs just ramboing through cameras/guards. Yeah, you'll rack up the alarm via the latter, but you're also moving the alarm up by waiting.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Guards that are dead don't either :smugdog:

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
If anything I can start streaming again. I imagine I'll actually be really rusty now though, since I haven't played in a while. I was planning on it once the new content dropped. I should've saved the runs!

Make sure you know the guards' paths whether through observation or the tracking program. You can stand to a guard's immediate side at the end of their patrol, but not if they're going to turn into you. Being one step away from cover helps if you're unsure how things will pan out. Sometimes it's actually beneficial to get spotted (especially as archive decker), so you can pile the bodies in a central location (or because the patrol is kinda inconvenient).

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Not being able to stun a guard in melee range that has sight on you is part of Expert+ (and expert?) It's why I say that you might as well just go straight into expert instead of experienced because it's a completely different game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

gnome7 posted:

That, and the bit where even knocking guards unconscious ups the alarm level.

Dead guards don't wake up :twisted:

• Locked thread