Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Invisible Inc. is a turn-based stealth game, ala X-COM EU/EW, developed by Klei Entertainment (Don't Starve, Mark of the Ninja, Shank) releasing today (May 12th, 2015) on Steam for $20. I've been playing the game off and on since it was in Early Access, and I have to say it has progressed to the point where it is pretty polished. Goons in the Steam thread have been giving it some good praise, and since its release time I figured it deserves a thread.

The game is set in a dystopian cyber-punk future where corporations rule the world. You play as an Operator, commanding a small squad of covert agents and secret operatives. While the game is best described as a mashup of X-COM EU with stealth mechanics, there are some big differences and unique features that set Invisible Inc apart from other turn-based strategy games:

• The game is hard. You will die, a lot, and you will gently caress up, a lot. In my first 15 hours, I had trouble getting past 3-4 missions.
  • This is a game that takes the "Ironman" experience from X-Com etc and runs with it. There are ways to make the game easier, but I'd say the full experience is meant to be hard.
  • The game has an optional "Rewind" feature that lets you rewind a few turns if you messed up and would like to try again without savescumming.
  • Invisible Inc is a game about stealth and infiltration, not combat. Your agents are really squishy, and while they can engage in combat, it is generally advised against. Agents can specialize in combat if desired.
  • The game is more of a rogue-like in the sense that it is very easy to die/wipe, and once your agents are dead, the game is over. You can unlock new agents and upgrades which persist through campaigns IIRC

As mentioned, the game gives you a ton of parameters and game modes to customize when starting out:

Missions and levels are procedurally generated:

Selecting a mission on the map

Different missions give different rewards. This mission gives a bunch of credits and potentially a nice item (or two):

Other rewards include weapons, additional mission locations, unlockable upgrades, unlockable characters, etc.

Mission gameplay is a familiar isometric view:

Doors can be opened/peeked through. Not closing doors behind you is generally A Bad Thing.

Different agents have different abilities, like being able to wirelessly hack devices for power

Knocking out guards is a wise decision, although they only remain incapacitated for a few turns

Guards have a line of sight, and they'll investigate last known positions (like Mark of the Ninja) and sounds/oddities.

There is also a hacking element:

Notice the yellow circle in the top right hand corner? That's the alarm system for this game - it goes up when you do things like hack, and it goes up each turn as well. When the meter fills, the alarm level goes up one stage, and each stage has various drawbacks (more guards, security, etc.) so you want to be mindful of completing objectives in a quick fashion, or the level becomes unwinnable.

Upgrade your operatives

Post-mission rewards and stats

I've been having a blast with the game so far in its currently release state, I think there is some real replayability and potential here. The game basically caters to the poopsocking/ironman type of gameplay that makes X-COM EU (Long War) so intriguing. There is a lot of good stuff in this game and things that it does right, a game about risk/reward. There are no new recruits, so when your guys die, they're gone. Guards are smart and lethal, but manageable, so there is a great sense of satisfaction when you complete a level without being detected or casualties. The art style and visual presentation is fantastic and very polished.

Highly recommended if you enjoyed X-COM EU, Mark of the Ninja, stealth games, tactical games, or just Good Games In General.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I don't have enough money to buy this right now but I'll probably check it out at some point.

I really love how Klei seems to put so much effort into making their games visually unique. I mean "dystopian cyber-punk future" is one of the most generic settings I can imagine but they still made it look interesting.

It is interesting to see the difference between the Early Access versions and the release day version where the cinematics and art style have been refined pretty significantly. I mean, it kind of looks like Mark of the Ninja, but it isn't.

Also the soundtrack is awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0MpqBqpB8w

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

0lives posted:

I really love the rewind feature. Majority of the time I use it, it's for "oh goddammit I pressed the wrong button" moments but also changing your plan when in hindsight you just made a really idiotic move is great too.

The rewind feature is amazing - I am so prone to Savescumming in other games, but I love Ironman style roguelike gameplay, and the rewind button is a perfect middle-ground between the two.

deadly_pudding posted:

When you rescue an operative, is there a way to get them a taser that I didn't notice? Was I supposed to loot a safe in that cell block, or something? It's nice having a third pair of hands, but it would be nicer if she could KO people :v:

I have not found a way to do this, which sucks.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'd certainly like to see more/expanded content - but there is an endless mode, for what that is worth.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

stiknork posted:

Thanks! I gotta say reading this thread makes me super happy every day.

How about that OP, eh? Eh???

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Sharp is a monster, I can't not use him.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'd actually like to see an extended campaign or something ala Long War for XCOM EU, as fun as 5 days or whatever are I'd love to see the strategy expanded to maybe a month or two.

Hopefully in an Expansion Pack!? A guy can dream.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I like the bite sized format too, just having the option would be pretty cool, thats all.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

stiknork posted:

I think we're going to post about this officially at some point, but if we added some additional modes to the game (think Time Attack or Endless) is there anything that people would be super into?

I wanna play as corporate scum

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Rorus Raz posted:

A versus mode where one player is the corporation would be cool as hell, but probably a nightmare to balance.

Yeah and probably would result in a lot of cheese, too, but yeah sounds fun.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Norns posted:

Not certain how I missed this game. As soon as I read about the setting, and it being a stealthy xcom I purchased it immediately. Sadly that means I'm still at work and waiting to play it.

KamikazePotato posted:

I am having so much fun with this game, and I'm only on Easy.

these posts make me happy

Seriously I loved Mark of the Ninja and was geeked as hell the second Invisible Inc. was announced, and I'm glad there is huge payoff here and the game is as good as I hoped it would be.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Great postmortem.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

schizopol posted:

Maybe if there were rare events like a spy vs spy mission or a rival AI to 'race' against? The game is a great platform but it seems like such a waste right now.

Man, that is a great idea. Like a third neutral faction or something?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

oohhboy posted:

Wish I had Nika and some lethal weapons because sometimes, you just want to cut loose for some stress relieve.

I'd love a Comedy Option agent who was just a big hulking dude with a giant gently caress-off minigun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Draco is a great concept, looking forward to seeing how he works.

• Locked thread