Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
protomexican
May 1, 2009
This game is what I wanted Shadowrun Returns to be. Get in, complete your objective, see what other loot you can grab along the way, then either get out quietly or panic when poo poo hits the fan. Either way, I feel like a super-spy.

nth-ing the "Xu is a beast" sentiment. A good program to combo with him is Taurus; you can move all the daemons onto safes, then bypass the daemons with Xu's ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

protomexican
May 1, 2009
With Shock Trap III you can turn this:

into this:

Thanks, ST3!

(of course, I'm going through an expert plus run and a) I can probably never afford a ST3 and b) using it like above would raise the alarm a whole level)

protomexican
May 1, 2009
I'm a little underwhelmed by the new programs. I find myself de-prioritizing small server terminals because there's a lower probability of getting something I actually want.

That, and I'm going to miss the old Cloak III, but I get why it needed to be nerfed.

Basically, awesome hard game is now harder and awesome-er. :negative:

protomexican
May 1, 2009

fspades posted:

I have to admit Shock Trap III is totally ridiculous though. The rest are fine, imo.

I love Shock III, but it goes from "best item in the game" to "use this if you want to fail the mission" in the jump from Expert to Expert Plus.

protomexican
May 1, 2009

Bhodi posted:

Are there any expert+ runs archived on twitch or youtube that someone can recommend? Lemon's are gone and I'm trying to learn how to thread the needle with guards when it all goes to poo poo because my own expert+ runs are not going well.

I looked myself and I found a few but they are heavy on the pointless narration and light on the actual decisions they are making, or they are worse than I am at the game :/

This guy's videos are what got me through Expert Plus. In E+, the game becomes much more about distracting guards with sound and peripheral vision, because there's too many guards to avoid their patrols completely.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Seed is one of the best starting programs, and keeps getting better once you get better programs. Think about it this way: power drip gives you+1 pwr/turn, fusion gives you 1.33 on average, but seed gives you however many pwr your free program costs, up to 4.

On my last run I had Seed, Mercenary, and OF Prism, which is a sweet combo. Your first 3 Mercenaries are free (+1 free pwr each) and your fourth only costs 2. By the time the alarm level is about to go up and Mercenary resets, you've usually collected enough consoles that you can eat the 4 and 6 pwr Mercenaries, or you can just wait a turn.

I agree that rapier mostly sucks, though. I think I might try it in an Always Run Challenge, though. :getin:

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Invisible Inc was my GOTY this year, and I'm excited for the update. I'm hoping the new stuff is as good as what's already in the game. Some of the new programs they added in August were a bit underwhelming, and diluted the item pool. Hacking a server terminal to only find Wings and Bandit ((?) the one that revealed a safe) was pretty disappointing.

Draco's an interesting concept. I wonder if he gets better bonuses from the advanced guards.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Expert plus becomes more about distracting the guards than avoiding them. Lure them into corners by bobbing into their peripheral vision, open a door they're watching and then move away, and strategically run by them, remembering their hearing radius is 5 tiles.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Just finished my first Expert run with the DLC. My starting loadout was Draco/Archive Shalem, Seed/Golem. Here are my thoughts:

-Draco is a real game-changer. Since he uses a different resource as the other agents (corpses instead of credits), he changes the whole economy of the game. He allows you to upgrade your other agent(s) faster than normal; I had almost maxed stats by the mid-game mission on both starting characters.

-The "bring a stat to level 3, no higher" augments seem like a waste of a slot, considering the longer game gives you more money to play with, and augment slots are a precious resource. AP-boosting augs are still the best, followed by the now much more necessary penetration/piercing scanners; everything else is pretty niche.

-I got Olivia as my third agent. I gave her the new thermal disruptor, which she can basically use for free with her augment.

-Shock Trap III's new power requirement is a welcome balance change. Being able to knock out multiple guards regardless of armor level can really trivialize a map.

-The new side objectives are fun, but I wish the rewards were more varied. I mostly just got more money, which I was running out of things to spend on towards the end.

-The tier 4 items seem not as desirable as tier 3, given their once per map limitation. One of the best things about Buster III's is their short cooldown; I'd rather have a Buster III than a IV in almost all cases. And in the later maps, nanofabs tend to sell mostly tier 4 items, so I kinda felt like I missed the boat.

New content spoilers:

-The new mid-game mission is in two parts. At the end of the second part, don't forget to give Monst3r's gun to one of your other agents. You can either keep it, or sell it for 300 credits. Monst3r will get the gun back on the final mission. This feels like an exploit; I wonder if they'll patch it out?

-The new alarm tracker feels easier than the original one. Sure the guards get more armor and KO resistance, but there are fewer guards, making them easier to deal with. I finished all my late missions before level 5, so I don't know if it gets tougher after that.

Overall, I'd rate the DLC a B. The new side objectives are the best part, and while the new items/augs/programs are mostly underwhelming, I'm happy that nothing breaks the balance of the game.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Step 1: Install Cloak on Stim Aug
Step 2: Install +6 AP on Cloak Aug
Step 3: Steal Stim IV from a security locker
Step 4: :byewhore:

protomexican
May 1, 2009
I've picked up Derek from a detention center on an Endless run with Xu/Central, Seed/Golem, where he's mostly just my designated console-getter. That said, his ability is good for getting past cameras that I don't want to spend the PWR to hack. I think he would work best in a high-speed strategy, scouting the map as quickly as possible and using Rapier to hack the things you need early on. OF Prism would be a good pairing to manage the power needs.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
For me, the aversion to killing comes more from the cost of ammo than from heart monitors, which Xu or an EMP can disable. Draco changes the equation, since a hand cannon and a charge pack can add up to a couple thousand credits' worth of stat upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Are nanofabs and server terminals weighted to give you more items from the DLC item pool, or is it just confirmation bias on my part? I feel like one of the biggest ways the DLC makes the game harder is by limiting access to the top tier augments like Net Downlink and Predictive Brawling.

• Locked thread