Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'll ask here as well.
Finished the game on beginner and experienced on my first tries yesterday, but is there any more to the story if you play on expert(It's wrecking me so far)? Some games have additional story elements if you play on higher difficulties, and the story in this seems rather lacking in some aspects. The ending particularly wasn't very satisfying, and felt like a cliffhanger.
The story in general feels like the weakest part of the game, there isn't really any differences at all for each time you play, which makes it just blend into the background. I wish they had made some sort of randomized campaigns with some different objectives, like for example a couple of different unique missions every few days or something.

Other than that i'm really loving it! The gameplay is really fun, even if the level generator can be incredibly unforgiving at times.(Second room in the first mission has 3 guards all looking towards the starting room? Sure, game).

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

deadly_pudding posted:

:xcom:
Like XCOM's story as its campaign framework, the story is pretty much a framework to explain 72 hours and your starting point of "2 agents and no resources". The title screen and opening cutscene, however, make me really pine for the non-existent Invisble Inc. animated series, in prequel form, that we will never have. Central reminds me of a less horrible Malory Archer in the best way.

I haven't played the classic X-coms but I got the feeling their campaigns were long enough that you could at the very least get somewhat attached to your dudes.
You can easily finish a campaign run of this game in a couple of hours, in which exactly one mission is somewhat unique(and it's the same mission every time), which I feel really hurts the game.
As I said, if there just was a couple of different campaigns with different "ending" missions, so you had something different to aim for in the preparation missions each time, I would absolutely love it.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm having a lot of fun with the game thus far: I'm just worried I might grow tired of it quickly.

Anyone know the dev's stance on modding? Custom campaigns(Other than just the generic parameters) would add a lot to this game.

MinibarMatchman posted:

are people really complaining about the story in a roguelike tactics game?

Idk what the unlock conditions are but I got 2 agents randomly after my 3rd mission.
All agents are unlocked by campaign exp except for two, which you unlock by beating the game on experienced.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 13, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of, anyone know anything about the "Meta hacking" achievement?

Considering the name, and the nature of the game, I'm guessing it's the same as some of the stuff in Hack'N Slash in that you have to explore or modify the game game files themselves in some way to unlock it.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 13, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If the guard has armour, and your melee weapon doesn't have any piercing, ambushing won't work.

Edit: gently caress running into Akuma drones in security 1 areas. They really should be exclusive to higher security areas when you have tools to deal with them.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 13, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
On my first beginner run I found a gun that had infinite ammo, but cost 4 POW per shot. I didn't realize how good that is until I played a bit of experienced and expert, but I've never found it again. :(

Edit: What's everyone's favourite agents? Internationale seems best by a mile, but I'm really liking Banks for her customized paralyzing toxin. It's invaluable on higher difficulties.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 14, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What actually happens on security warning level 5 and 6? I tend to try and rush as fast as I can through the levels(while gathering as much as I feel safe grabbing), so I've never actually hit those levels.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 14, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

First legitimately impossible level I've run into.
Those laser beams are lethal, so you can't path through them, and the opening in the wall on the bottom left of the room is blocked by a console. The two rooms to the left are just the starting room and a connected one. No other rooms connected to them.

Seems the level generator isn't flawless, even if it is drat good.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Serephina posted:

Are lasers lethal on higher difficulties? For me they just raise the alarm level like a camera when you run through them

It was actually the first time I've noticed that particular type of laser, but I tend to just try and avoid going through them anyway, so I might not have been paying too much attention. I know there are lasers that trigger alarms or activates a daemon as well.
Fortunately it was just the second mission in the campaign, so not much was lost.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

abardam posted:

I think that laser walls deactivate for 1 turn if they trigger, so you could eat it with one agent and then medgel them after.
I tried, you literally cannot path through it. It acts like a solid wall as long as it's up.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's a bit silly that you have to pay cleanup costs for dead drones.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

bisonbison posted:

Having passed easy mode, I'd love to get anyone's tips and tricks on playing through experienced. What types of missions do you prioritize? How to min-max skills? Equipment must-buys and never-buys?

On higher difficulties you should try to avoid having to knock out guards until it's absolutely necessary. Get someone with some skill points in anarchy so you can clean their pockets without alerting them.

For missions, it's all depending on what I have and what I need. Early on I prefer trying to go for a detention center to get a third agent, followed by either a financial suite or a Cybernetics lab, depending on what's available. Remember, however, that both vaults and labs can have vault doors, so it's usually best to have a vault card available before starting either. The chance of there being a vault at a lab doesn't seem to be 100%, but if you can get one, that's 2 more free cybernetics. Also check nano-fabs for an extra melee weapon if you know you're going to be picking up an extra agent, or some extra cybernetics if you have the spare room/cash for it.

I like to save the equipment missions until I have some cash and an extra agent or two.

Edit: Also, during a financial suite mission, ALWAYS steal from the executive with your highest Anarchy skill agent before knocking him out. With 4+ Anarchy you can often get 1k+ credits from it.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Hey so I never needed to use lethal weapons on my beginner playthrough, but how does the ammo work? Do you have so many shots per mission? Or is it so many shots and then the weapon is done for good?

Depends on the weapon. Some of them you can never reload at all(mostly some of the weapons from the "Archive" version of the agents), while others you can reload with a charge pack. Just select the weapon in the task bar wile you have a charge pack in your inventory and choose "Manual reload". There is also a third type of gun that has infinite ammo, but costs PWR to fire, but these seem pretty rare, as I have only seen one of it.

• Locked thread