Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Well I just finished an ironman expert plus game and really had a great time (first expert plus win for me). I started with Internationale, Prism, Seed and Golem. In one of the first few missions, we found an econ chip, which had a very large impact on the run. We were also lucky enough to find parasite, which works very well with seed and golem. Derek was found a little before the midway battle, and Banks was found a little after. Both I thought were good but not amazing (abilities are strong when used but frequently went unused).

Internationale was excellent as usual and got subdermal cloak (1 turn cloak on stim for 5 power), which has become one of my favorite augs, network downlink (+2 ap on mainframe hack) and during the last few missions chamleon moment (+6 ap on cloak). Most importantly, she carried the all important econ chip, which brought in about 1500 credits a map once she had her hacking maxed and enabled us to spend a lot of money without having to worry about raiding vaults (or clean up costs, more on that in a moment). Internationale was very, very fast, often having 14 or 16 AP from downlink, or as much 30 AP or more if she used her stim III, which was available every four turns.

Prism got both a flurry gun and anatomy analysis early (my other favorite aug), which allowed her to kill one enemy a map without triggering any alarm. Later on, she got both the +1 AP syringe item (can't recall the name) as well as a Stim IV, which gives.... unlimited attacks per round. The flurry gun of course has unlimited shots per round, but only works for one round. I'm sure everyone can see where this is going.

Needless to say, once all these items came together maps were basically Prism sneaking to LOS with as many enemies as possible, using her stims, and going to town on the poor hapless guards. She eventually also got a handcannon which allowed her in her best run to kill 5 enemies in a single round. My biggest disappointment is that she never got piercing scanner, and also that anatomy analysis does not work on omni harbingers, so the last map was kind of a shitshow as we were on alarm level 4 by like turn 8 or something due to the unavoidable +4 alarm on killing each harbinger.

Anyhow, much fun was had by all, zapping the various elite enforcers that came and we got through OK. Tragically, due to the lack of piercing scanner on Prism we could not kill the elite enforcers, which had 2 armor, and came after the flurry gun had been used.

Big Sean fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Yeah. I almost regret that getting an effective "killer" agent makes the game a little too easy. Might be interesting if there was something in the game, achievement or otherwise, around not killing anyone.

I'm at day 8 on endless plus and while I don't have Nika, tragically, I do have Banks with two piercing scanners (eventually to be three) and anatomy analysis alongside two flurry guns, a hand cannon and a stim III and stim IV. Killing two thirds of the level (or more) with no alarm penalty really dials down the difficulty...

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Got this game probably years ago and finally actually got round to playing it when I saw it in a bunch of GoTY lists, managed to beat my first playthrough (on beginner, so probably barely counts) and then had a failed run yesterday. Decided to start with some of the gun wielding characters based on the posts in the thread. So how do you make a lethal run work? I started with Shalem 11 and Draco then got Olivia in a rescue mission but I've run out of ammo already and can't seem to get anymore (assume it's a charge pack right? Wasn't able to afford the one I saw) and barely made any money on the missions I used the ammo on cause alot went on cleanup.

There's no such thing as a "lethal run". The ability to kill enemies is just another tool that can make levels easier to complete (at some cost). Later on, you can get enough resources and more efficient weapons to kill lots of enemies every map if that is what you want to do, but it won't be an option earlier on.

Anyhow, the point is, the game is intentionally balanced to make killing enemies very expensive vs. knocking them out.

• Locked thread