Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fano
Oct 20, 2010
This game is incredibly fun, I've just beat it on expert after about 50 hours of gameplay or so, ran with Prism/Archive Banks with Seed and Lockpick as my starting programs.

Oddly enough, I had been trying many different combinations of characters before this and always failed the first or second mission, but with this combo the entire campaign was actually quite doable without much hiccup, though there were a couple of instances where I simply decided to leave the mission in a cybernetics lab because the enhancements weren't any good, wasting several hours.

Has Klei ever commented on releasing additional expansions to the game? Meanwhile, I will probably spend the next new days banging my head against Expert Plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Love Stole the Day posted:

As much as I love that they are making DLC for this... I'd rather see them just make an Invisible Inc: Brood War or whatever in the same vein as "Dont Starve Together" where they keep the gameplay basically the same, but add more content and implement Multiplayer Co-Op. I would gladly pay full price for that and I'm sure they'd get more revenue that way without having to completely revamp their engine (except for the multiplayer part or whatever, I guess).

Taking a game built specifically for single player and adding a multiplayer component is far more daunting than a lot of people realize, that's why klei was so reluctant to add multiplayer to Don't Starve in the first place.

As cool as it would be, that would probably take a very long time. I'd love to see it, but more single player content is fine with me too, as I'm just now getting to my 10th day on Endless Plus and I would like maybe some new characters or items to play around with now that it feels like I'm getting closer to "beating" the game.

Also, drat, it looks like I'm going to be some 30 minutes late to the cast, I wish twitch had a rewind feature instead of having to wait for the VoD to catch it from the beginning.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Dav posted:

Wait, you can turn off sprinting in the middle of a move? I thought it was all or nothing for a turn. Hm...

In other news, I was surprised to see the option to scrub a databank using a hacked Obake drone, but then clicking the button crashed the game :(

Update: Reloaded. Drone has vanished into the ether :ohdear: No, wait, just a visual glitch I guess; it's back after hitting end turn.

Trying to hack with a camera drone causes it to vanish (due to a missing animation I assume?) but it's still there and the game didn't crash...the difference might be that the Obake was trying to hack a second databank while the camera drone is currently the only one hacking? I dunno.

Also, I just noticed that I have an objective to "scrub batabanks (sic)" with 3 bars under it.

yeah that's a side mission that gets you a data card worth 500 at the end of the mission.

Coincidentally I found out you can just sell them at a nanofab for the same amount if you're having inventory issues.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Just got past the mid-game mission on Expert with the new content. Running Archive Shalem/Draco, dynamo and Golem were my starting programs, they seem to synergize quite well.

Rescued Xu and Decker, everything is going smoothly so far, though I've killed far more guards than I usually like to, even after Draco has been maxed out.

Getting max anarchy on draco means that charge packs are basically free, I've found 2-3 per level from guards.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Common solutions to supply PWR for prism's disguise include accelerator chips (this is how I'm getting through my expert plus endless run, currently on day 9), buster chips (she starts with one!) or dynamo as a starting program since then you can disguise for free anytime after alarm level 2.

I have a portable server III but it actually doesn't feel all that useful, you have to find a good hiding spot for it as guards will pick it up if they see it and you'll lose it forever, and you have to make sure the spot you pick won't inconvenience you toward the end of the mission since you'll have to go back to pick it up before you leave.

My personal preference if I'm taking Prism is that I'll probably also be taking Seed as a starting program, that way I can hack things for free regardless of how much PWR I have, then my PWR reserves are all dedicated toward using her disguise.

I'm starting to like Dynamo a lot, actually, especially paired with the new Golem program, I can take it a bit slow at the beginning and hack two firewalls for 2 or less PWR, then when dynamo kicks in I can be a little more aggressive with hacks since PWR will regenerate so fast.

Fano fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 16, 2015

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I typically only level anarchy past 2 if I find items that require it (notably, Shock Trap 3).

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Well, that makes cyberlab missions go down a bit on priority list certainly...since now I can just shop at the nanofab for AUGs without having to worry about having a slot.

Feels a bit overpowered, though.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I had a somewhat similar thing happen when I rescued a courier and didn't realize before leaving the level that I had given him my only Neural Disrupter III :mad:

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
It was a conscious decision at the time and it did help him get to the exit, I just forgot to swap the disrupter back to one of my agents :(

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Don't suppose anyone knows of any good playthroughs of this on Youtube for me to watch when bored? I really enjoyed watching e.g. beaglerush's X-Com Ironman Impossible runs, mainly because they're better at tactical thought than I can ever hope to be :v:

There a lot of great playthroughs here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSzYc9hNynCVpd-BPJgMR--QDJ6wZIMko

Watching how he played is what got me through expert plus ironman.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I find that the hardest part of any campaign are going to be the first few missions, where you've got two agents who are still lacking high end gear and speed upgrades.

Once you've got them with 2 or 3 points in speed, though, the game becomes much easier.

I finally came back and got my 10+ day achievement on endless and finished an Expert campaign with the contingency plan content (used Rush + Banks, fun combo).

Going to try to Expert+ next, I'm not sure who my duo is going to be just yet.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

abardam posted:

do a Shalem/Draco murdercrew
I did this combo on an earlier expert run and it went very well, I'm not sure how it's going to fare in Expert+, given that the alarm level will rise twice on each kill.

I wanted to go for a more sneaky/pacifist type thing, as my current endless run is an unstoppable murder crew already.

For anyone who happens to find Draco in a detention center and doesn't have any lethal weapons (as I did on my last run), Sankaku missions are very useful to grab some upgrades for him, as you can control drones and use them for kills instead of having to rely on one of your own weapons.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
For those looking to move up in difficulty, this guy has an amazing series up where he plays ridiculously difficulty campaigns: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSzYc9hNynCVpd-BPJgMR--QDJ6wZIMko

I learned a lot by watching him, it's pre-DLC, but the concepts are the same regardless.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Every time I've tried to launch this game the past few days the DLC content is not loading, so I can't start a mission with any of the new agents or find any of the contingency plan items...I've got it ticked in the DLC box on steam and I've reinstalled the game a few times, no dice.

What's going on?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dumb question: have you verified the cache? Have you tinkered with the files to get that hidden cheevo? I'm not sure what's going on if both of those are clear.
Done both of those things, I got it to work by restarting steam, I dunno.

Fano fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Bought this game on sale the other day. Holy poo poo I'm completely addicted to it. Just cannot stop. Haven't beaten the campaign yet but still loving it. Quick question: I always tend to split my duo up to cover more ground. I don't know if this is optimal however as you still need to spend the same amount of turns getting one guy over to the other guy. What do you guys do?

The more you can scout in the first few turns, the better, IMO.

Finding your objective and your exit room during the early game allows you to plan out your route much more efficiently, you don't want to still not know where your exit elevator is when the alarm hits level 4. I tend to split my agents up at the beginning too, though they usually end up in the same general location about halfway through the missions.

• Locked thread