Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Anyone else trying Expert Plus? I had minimal problems with Expert, but the combination of more guards, KOing guards (inevitable since there's so many) adding to your alarm, and no sightlines for poo poo out of your FOV is absolutely brutal. I haven't made it past the second mission in like 5 tries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I really like archive decker - that AP on spot lets him pop into notice range of guards to distract and then get out, which is really important for conserving resources and not having a bunch of unconscious guards you have to babysit. He's probably my favorite.
On the other side is Prism, who is incredibly boring. She gets some power when you hack things, but that's it. At least the other "power on X" abilities like archive xu have more interesting repercussions for your build. Reading her fluff, she seems like she had some disguise thing or a holo motif going on, but I guess they scrapped it for her current cybernetic?

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

Well, I can see how a disguise ability would be very hard to balance, at least, so that wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah, even if they did it like Monaco with limited number of exposures before it expired I'm having a hard time seeing it make sense in game or be even remotely balanced. She should at least start with some holo cover or something though.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Seed is my favorite. It works well with Hammer if you can find it, and follow up with Parasite on something you're going to want to open up next turn, all for 0 power.

My Expert Plus run ended on the last mission. I blew my rewind on a pretty recoverable mistake since it was running so smooth, only for me to accidentally leave monst3r a tile out in the open instead of next to the door about 5 turns later, which ended as well as you could expect.

I actually kind of feel like the game is balanced for Plus, since a lot of the options that don't seem all that great like Abacus are far more helpful when everything is poo poo (4 power goes from 40% extra to 80% extra on Plus). Lethal always felt unnecessary on the easier modes, but it's pretty critical on Plus. The alarm is going up whether you KO them or kill them. It permanently takes out one of the way too many guards from the level, simplifying the stage, and disrupters are off the table so a ranged shot is the only available option if you're spotted. I got a lot of mileage out of archive Decker's revolver - I only replaced it with whatever the AP2 KO dart was when I ran dry late day 3.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Thanks everyone who watched. I just beat Expert Plus on Ironman with Prism and Archive Banks (+50 credits for every power on a console was killer, and the item itself is worth 400 when you sell), running Seed and Brimstone. I offer some advice for people playing the highest difficulty:

Congrats on your win! I used Prism last (ill-fated) run too, and even though I still think she's boring as poo poo, her cybernetic probably averages out to a free Power Drip, which is strong as gently caress. Starting with the ability to pickpocket is nice too, since you can take keycards right out of the gate and you don't have to waste money on the upgrade.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

As far as I can tell, no archives, but I am also a sample size of one and I tend to prioritize gearmissions over dudemissions unless I'm down a guy.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, cameras don't trigger on door opening, only guards do. From what I've experienced, guards seem to actually trigger on doors even if the square the door is in is white - as long as its somewhere in their FOV they'll investigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Another promising ironman Expert Plus run dead because I just forgot to take a turn and pressed next. It's me, I'm the reason why you have to click through six "are you sure you want to do this, idiot?" messages on everything ever made. :doh:

• Locked thread