Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Garbed this incredible game a few weeks back and just passed day 10 endless. Wisp, failing that a TAG gun plus shock Trap 3 (I have 6 of them) and Cloak 3 will get you out of just about anything. Throw in some Volt 3s', EMPs for other work (drat you magnetic containment), some bio darts, pretty unstoppable. Wish I had Nika and some lethal weapons because sometimes, you just want to cut loose for some stress relieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress, had such a close run on Expert plus. I hosed it up with one move, just one. Got greedy with Monster thinking I could run him pass an Armour 3 guard just steps away from the final mainframe. On more turn and his gun would have finished cooldown too. If I had just ghosted him a little longer. Was threading the needle with a laser intentional getting detected to move heat away from Monster. Had Nika with dual Flurry guns until the final mission where I found a piercing scanner, but no space on Nika to install it. Had Nika murder some dudes just to create a bloody distraction. Quip time.

Arrgh! Reversed the captions on the screenshots to rub salt into the wound.

Zombie Samurai posted:

That would be rad. Also makes me think that some kind of bonus survival mode where you have fully-armed soldiers and mow down security in waves would be fun.
Not sure how it would work, but dropping corpses all over the place would be fun.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't say I like Seed and/or Rapier or have a good use for Rapier. Seed by itself is ok, but it is hard to beat just having more power, hence why I almost always run Power Dynamo since I know it will be Alarm 2 before I really need the power, but it is good if you do find seed on a server.

As for Rapier, that's a early smash and grab play with you hoping you find something a lot more reliable long term on a server. If you have a slot unused sure why not, but to start with it is trouble once alarm 2 rolls round which would happen very quickly with you smashing and garbing to get the utility out of it. Parasite is similar and is very useful early game with late game utility especially on Omni-forcers, but you will be begging for something that can hack something right the hell now pass day 1 especially if you are not running on file Internationale as you will be burning too many turns just waiting on cameras.

I almost always run lock pick 1.0 just because it is so reliable. But at the end of the day it's all about picking your poison. What are you willing to sacrifice? turn time? Hours in a day? luck? money? Alarm level?

But if you get nothing else, get the Wisp program or a TAG pistol. Seeing the guard's path forever for the cost of a little power lets you operate like a surgeon instead of a butcher. The TAG pistol can also be used to manipulate guard patrols, but it's pretty rare thing to do.

Wait till you hit Expert+ and you will really be screaming. :darksouls:

I try to hold off until alarm 3+ before I start clubbing people. Around alarm 5, all bets are off and it gets lethal if available.

This was suppose to be a sneaking mission, not a widow fund event. Note alarm level 59 and irc, I had to drag one of them to the elevator.

Gyshall posted:

I'd love a Comedy Option agent who was just a big hulking dude with a giant gently caress-off minigun.
On an expert+ run now and I have Nika with predictive brawling, her default tazer, piercing scanner and 2 Flurry guns. Blood will be spilt on the final level. Shame there aren't lethal melee as Nika would break the game over her knees.:killdozer:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zombie Samurai posted:

Can you actually find Seed on mainframe terminals? I don't remember ever seeing it, and I thought the starter power programs were off limits.

I have seen the starter power programs, but they are exceedingly rare even on server farms. However there are far better uses for the slots than another power program on endless since you should be packing portable server 3s and multiple distributed computing augs.

Finally finished expert plus. Murdered two people on principle. The game was already won and bringing dual Flurrys on Nika at AP3 with a biogen dart and not using at least one of them would have been sad. The last level was more tedious than hard as both rooms were right on the other side from the start room. Had to use the rewind though from a silly mistake. Was sure not to be greedy this time. Left 2 meat shields to stand pin, they weren't even spotted.

It's so annoying not seeing sight lines as you have to waste APs looking through doors twice, observing guards and looking around corners. The KO restriction was problematic at times if you weren't more ambush happy. At expert plus things sort of stops being fun as wasting so much time around doors breaks the flow. One more achievement to go. Endless plus 5 days.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Endless Expert plus day 5 done. Started with Internationale and Archive Prism. Simply didn't have the power to run her for any useful period of time, while it did save her bacon once, if I had Nika instead things would have been a lot smoother as I was almost swimming in lethal and non-lethal. Between modulate and the lack of portable servers, I didn't get enough Computing Augs either. Had to run from a jail break as there was just no way to do it with the resources on hand. They are likely to go down on day 6 as the setup is just not there, not to mention the thousands on credits wasted on murder.

Expert plus is just not that fun, the difficulty is just a hair too much. Time to go back to my near maxed day 11 agency for some fun.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remember anybody other than Monster or Central are meat shields at this point, if by taking a bullet lets Monster run through, do it. Guards are restricted to one attack per turn.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They likely found having 2+ different types of standard locked doors too frustrating and/or obnoxious to play with.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Young Central, Sam L Jackson, Adam Jenson, Chick from Blade Runner?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

abardam posted:

So can you scan a guy, execute him, then scan him again?

Nope. Once only.

The difficulty is even steeper than before and they haven't made your guys any better to compensate. So far Nika with a TAG gun is really saving the day.

They nerfed the the hell out of the disruptors as anything higher than level one requires a charge pack if you want to use it more than once a mission. Not happy about this especially since they have daemons that increases everyone's armour. Really need some more effective armour piercing options since hiding is never always an option. Mid-campaign special mission is almost as hard as hitting omni corp pre-expansion.

I've done some of the side missions that pop-up mid mission and so far they haven't really paid off outside of some credits. Hacking a research terminal only give you a free random program. It's not worth the trouble since you have to get a FOB off a civilian and find a specific terminal and wait for it to finish while hoping you have space and is something you actually want.

The expansion really needs a balance pass.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My mistake then. Day 3 is pretty brutal and unlike vanilla Day 3 it is pretty tight quarters. I am still on my first expert run on the expansion but I am not kidding about having the TAG gun saving the day. Just constantly threading the eye of the needle. I wish for OMNI enforcers because I can power down their shield to kill. Waiting for the jet was tense as hell and penalised you for killing.

Has anybody run into any side missions that is worth the trouble doing?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finished it on Expert on the first run. Definitely harder. Would have lost the game if I hadn't found in a locker this new badass 2 shot tranq Rail Gun that has 4AP and 5KO. The final mission is the same but with new mandatory daemons. It really sucks that the level 4 Disruptors have only one charge as it really reduces their effectiveness below that of the level 3s if it wasn't for the now higher armour level. The TAG gun proves its worth once again.

Is getting the Universal Power Cells mandatory?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Expert plus is taking me to the cleaners right now. Can't even get pass the second mission. Just not getting the that start-up luck you need for plus like I had with the expert run where I got a Hand Cannon early which let me smash and grab most of the first 72 hours. FTM isn't quite the walk over it use to be with OMNI Protectors showing up really quickly and the security routers are making a mess of everything.

Internationale is mandatory on Expert Plus since you can use her to pick off the cameras for LOS and consoles as you will be short on power from the get go.

I tried Don't Starve, but I just can't get into it.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, Expert Plus Ex day 3 teleport just threw me an effectively impossible room with 2 cameras and not enough power to hack both while the surrounding rooms were full of drones and guards. On Expert I would have made do with the starting 10 power but waiting to alarm 2 would have been a massive waste of time considering how poorly the run was going. Scraping day to day without improving the team. I was a matter of time before they were done.

This game sometimes. :xcom:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"See you in hell operator". Central pulls no punches when you fail the mid way mission.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally finished Expert + EX. Still shaking like a leaf from the tension and I am so not doing that again.

Nika came through big time with her Shock Trap 3 Cloak 2 + 3 and a disruptor 3 + Piercing Scanner. Tied down 80% of the guards with spot sprinting, cloaking up to trap doors, tazing dudes to leave in the open in that lower right room. Every time the trap went off the alarm tracker would throw a poo poo fit from all the heart monitors going off. I didn't even have to use the rewind for the final mission. The OMNI Protectors got stupid strong with firewalls as high as 14. Shock traps are mandatory. You have to play unfairly to a insane degree to match how unfair Expert plus is.

I got super lucky when I gave M0nst3r the key card so he could unlock doors exactly when needed to control guard pathing and for his run back to the mainframe.

Had Fusion and Emergency power which meant I almost never ran out of power unless I really tried. Had the old standby Lockpick v1 and Parasite v2. Would have liked to have Lockpick v2, but it was no to be.

I started the game with Nika and Draco, the same combination that got me the Expert run. Half way through Draco got caught so Nika has to do a couple missions solo before breaking him out of prison. Two person teams seem to work out well as it means there are less dudes you have to hide and the quality of what you have is higher. Draco never got the opportunity to level up much as lethal weapons weren't avaliable until I got the Flurry gun just before the final mission. Had to abort 2 Loot Locker missions as there was just no way to do it while getting the UPS and getting out.

I now avoid high level FTM missions since they can go wrong very quickly without your input. Plastech isn't so bad anymore if you're willing to play aggressively.

They have changed the Flurry Gun to fire once per mission, period. So no more getting 2 attacks out of Nika nor unlimited attacks with Stim 4 nor passing it around like the village bicycle. It massively reduces the usefulness of the Flurry gun so be aware.

Anyone know what the new program "Cycle" does? It seems like a really bad program based on it's poorly written description.

Now for day 20...

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is a terrible program. Not being able to stockpile power is awful as it kills your options well before mid game comes up as any firewall over 1 is going to give you all the trouble of Parasite v1 without any of it's long term advantages. It should stack with Power Drip and Dynamo as they seem to get invoked last after things like Parasite. You also have to consider the waste from every point of power you don't use.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Avasculous posted:

Man, I was all set for Nika to take Stim IV and murder every guard in the level with Flurry, and the second heartbeat sensor she tripped installed the Daemon that gives them all +1 armor (out of Flurry's armor piercing).

Also disappointed that the new Derek can't telefrag guards that pick up his beacon.

THIS EXPANSION SUCKS.

You got it to fire twice? It thought the Flurry Gun has been "fixed".

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Avasculous posted:

I think they "fixed" passing around the Flurry Gun to reset the 1 shot/mission restriction.

It's not quite as insane as it sounds though because in addition to needing Nika with Speed 4 and two 1000+ credit items, Flurry Gun spends 4 Power per shot. The only way I was able to fire it so many times was having a ton of Power banked and a skill 5 hacker with a chip standing next to a console to get more mid-turn.
Bugger, didn't notice the power requirement.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seems pretty random to me. You might be getting a random cluster as I don't there is any programming that prevent this. The only thing that is guaranteed is charge packs and the categories of items. The DLC does dilute the pool without increasing the number slots the items can be rolled into. You will also notice the DLC items more since they are marked.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
iTunes has it, but the price is about double Steam's.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're suppose to try to break the game, if you don't it gets hard real quick especially if you don't luck into some of that nice equipment like you did. That's when you have to use kiting shenanigans to make up for poor equipment. Kited 6+ dudes in one small room with a piece of cover, the odd shock trap, a bit of strategic killing and some intentional revealing on the final EXP level.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They run out of ammo. I think they only have 1-3 bursts. They will continue to overwatch though until destroyed.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

That makes sense, except that the last time I hacked a turret it had never fired at my dudes, and it overwatched a guy but didn't fire on him. :confused:

There are two ways to hack turrets, the control system or the power system it is attached to. When you hack the control you own it now and it will fire on the guards but not you. Most of the time hacking the control costs more in power and/or daemons. Hacking the power allows you to turn it on and off. Turning them off even when converted is useful as you might not want it to be blasting everything it sees, cranking up the alarm level uncontrollably before you are ready.

Turrets obey the same shooting rules as guards, they will target first then fire on subsequent movement that is in it's LOS or fire when it gets it's turn.

It's a bucket of laughs though when you hack turrets with the intention of murdering all humansguards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Endless runs eventually end up being daylight bank robberies. Run in, blow the safes, shoot people if they get uppity, GTFO while shooting the cops on the way out. Stealth isn't too much of an option other than some quick recon unless you're lucky, but you might be able to bypass a bunch of guards and lock them in with a shock trap or two for when it gets loud. Money shouldn't be great concern as you should have max agents by now. You pretty much buying as many shock traps as you can get along with a couple of EMPs for robots and mass safe cracking and cloaks just so you can walk out of some really bad situations. Flashing them with the cloak is bonus fun when you can get it.

Less time on a level, less time for something to go really wrong. I really don't like Sankaku as there are drones everywhere and the sound bugs restricts movement and makes herding of guards with sound hard.

Leaving bodies everywhere can be useful for slowing alert guards down as they spend time shouting "Hey! is he ok?". I pulled of an Expert Plus DLC win with this by knocking out or killing a guard in a relatively out of the way room. Every time someone fell over everybody stops to check the body and it draws more guards in. They did eventually started to get out, but I had kettled them in long enough for that not to be a concern as I had free range on the rest of the map.

• Locked thread