Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I was sold when I saw that this has an Endless Mode. I haven't done anything but play the tutorial so far, but even so I feel I can already say that I'm liking this a lot.

By the way, the game has three different colorblind modes. Also, it's an absolutely massive 10% off on both GOG and Steam right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hank Morgan posted:

I think the most overpowered character ability/augment combo I got playing this game was Internationale's remote hacking and the augment that gave you extra movement points whenever you hacked something. I was zipping across entire levels like I had wheels on.
Haha, I just got that going in the first mission of my first campaign and I think I'm in love.

Also, I'm glad that I started out on Beginner, because I'm definitely making beginner mistakes here.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Pierson posted:

I just finished the campaign on beginner and is that it? Obviously knocking it up to experienced and above will make the experience last longer and Endless mode exists but the campaign storyline is really a half-dozen missions and done as the AI takes over?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong the game is super-good and I'm gonna besinking more hours into it but this felt like a mid-season twist, not a series finale.
I like this game a lot, but the writing left me completely cold. The basic gameplay, the UI, the graphics and sound, holy poo poo all those settings, it's all great, but I couldn't get invested in either the story or the characters.
The only things that stuck out to me after I'd finished my first campaign were that Monst3r is dumb and needs to shut up and that the ending is a bit annoying because I couldn't see an option to not do the obviously stupid thing and I didn't care enough to feel much of an emotional impact, just slight irritation that I was unable to get a better result.
Also, I can't help but compare this to Jagged Alliance 2 on some level, and I wish I could care about Invisible Inc.'s agents the same way I do for my mercs, but that's not happening.

Still going to have a lot of fun with this. I haven't even gotten around to trying out my new unlocks or loving around with the million campaign settings and I already feel like I got my money's worth.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 13, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Demiurge4 posted:

Voice acting would go a long way to give the characters some life. Just basic chatter and a one liner for various actions would be fine. As it is they're just a portrait and a cybernetic passive.
No lie, it took me until the second to last mission to notice that my agents actually got things to say at mission start.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Broken Cog posted:

First legitimately impossible level I've run into.
Those laser beams are lethal, so you can't path through them, and the opening in the wall on the bottom left of the room is blocked by a console. The two rooms to the left are just the starting room and a connected one. No other rooms connected to them.

Seems the level generator isn't flawless, even if it is drat good.
Ouch. The closest thing to unbeatable that I've seen so far was an unavoidable guard just outside the starting room, followed by two patrols in a corridor with very little cover. Kind of hard to explain, but basically it was two agents without ranged weapons against three guards, of which two would need to be lured over at once. Which, well, I hosed it up, but it was probably still doable in some way.

Also, this game loves Internationale at least as much as I do and keeps handing me this:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

This could have gone really wrong really fast, but when the game gives you a turret placed like that, you just gotta go for it.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Well, I can see how a disguise ability would be very hard to balance, at least, so that wouldn't surprise me.

I think my personal favorite is always going to be Internationale. Not only can she save a pretty solid amount of AP per turn by remotely grabbing power, uncovering cameras and stuff early has just been a huge help a lot of the time.

stiknork posted:

hey me and another designer (also my boss) are gonna play a super hard mode and die a lot and give out game keys if you guys wanna check it out http://www.twitch.tv/kleientertainment
Watched this for a bit before I had to force myself to do something like work, was pretty cool.

Did the P ever get fixed?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

alarumklok posted:

Yeah, even if they did it like Monaco with limited number of exposures before it expired I'm having a hard time seeing it make sense in game or be even remotely balanced. She should at least start with some holo cover or something though.
It would have been nice to have an agent that specializes in getting past guards beyond Decker starting with a cloaking item. Maybe a way to mess with guard patrol patterns or levels of alertness in some way.
Not saying that's what Prism should have been, but it's something that the agent roster doesn't really cover, unless you count assault and cold-blooded murder.

Also:

All 4 guards in the big room are on simple patrols that will lead them back into it the turn after they leave it. They also patrol in pairs.

Not pictured: Dr. Xu's lack of any kind of weapon, Incognita not having Wisp, the second guard patrolling the level exit, me abandoning all hope.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 15, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, my first attempt at experienced was kind of disastrous as well. Relearning how to play with un-upgraded agents while adapting to the higher difficulty was pretty rough, I was overreaching all the time.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Distract one pair and quite probably mug it, run through and or distract the other pair. Alternatively, sit on the first pair until your tasers recharge.

It would take a distressing amount of time, but in itself is solvable.
That's more or less what I ended up doing just to reach the exit after wasting a Rewind trying to actually get past and do the mission. Xu was MVP, top-tier guard babysitter.
I really wanted those augment slots, but that was not going to happen there, or at least only with a lot of luck.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
^^^^ That owns.

Fangz posted:

Are there alternative endings with different difficulty levels?
No, unless you get one for Expert plus.

Also, I tried to see if there's a secret ending if you abort the final mission right before uploading Incognita. There isn't, but at least the game still treated it as a win.

Also, is this just randomness sometimes not seeming random or are some agents way less likely to appear in holding cells than others? I've never seen Prism in one, but I've gotten at least one out of Decker, Shalem and Internationale in every game so far.

Edit: And just by the way, I gave Nika a TAG Pistol during my last run and it's pretty good. Apart from tagging being useful, it basically allowed me to convert 1 Power into 3 AP as long as there was an untagged guard in sight.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

RoboCicero posted:

Yeah, he straight up disables them. You also can't hack them while they're rebooting, so don't be the guy who accidentally spends two turns with Xu hunched against a fabricator.
The first time I found Xu in a game, I didn't use him much and so wasn't aware of this, then told him to disable the Security Hub in the final mission. Can't say I recommend it.

stiknork posted:

I think we're going to post about this officially at some point, but if we added some additional modes to the game (think Time Attack or Endless) is there anything that people would be super into?
Maybe an option that gives you a team of random agents before each mission?

• Locked thread