Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I just beat Beginner on my first game and really enjoyed it. I felt under-equipped but Monst3r carried my team of four + Central though the last mission without much issue. Internationale is practically broken with her distance hacking of consoles, but I'm sure it'll reduce to "fair" on higher difficulties. Somehow I seem to have gotten worse unlocks for beating the game than retiring early? Banks and her ability to open level 1 doors without a card would have been really useful but I ended up with Dr. Xu and Nika despite rescuing Shalem and Nika...? I also got Incognita abilities when retiring but not when winning.

Edit: Looks like the retire unlocks were cumulative and I've got everything.

Rewinds were a great mechanic but I can see the change from 5 to 3 being almost as tight as the save reduction on higher difficulties of Hitman. At 5 you can basically use them as free scouting, but 3 seems like it will be what quickloading would be like in X-COM if I had any self-discipline.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Double-posting because more people need to be talking about this game. Everyone's right about Xu being boderline broken but wait until you get him movement stims and that aug that reduces cooldowns when you use an item. I gave that to Banks too and initially regretted it vs. Net Downlink until I started using her to jack consoles with whatever that chip is that gives you extra power. I'm pillaging entire levels on my first play of Experienced; went into a server farm with 108 credits and left with Ping and Lockpick v2.0 in addition to Taurus and Dagger, but I had to sell Sniffer to make space.

Hopefully Ping will make up for my only having a single AP weapon aside from +1 on Decker's melee attacks. I have a feeling Omni is going to humble me anyway.

Edit: YUP

Mr. 8 there is stationary at least.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 30, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I just tested it. It will distract all the guards within the yellow AoE to investigate a spot centred on your cursor.

Edit: gently caress I was THIS >< close to beating that hallway but alarm level 3 hit and spawned an extra guard who started with Banks and killed everyone else because he had infinite overwatch attacks. Up until that point I'd taken out everyone except Mr. 8 in the lower right, and he'd run off in the completely wrong direction. Everyone else had been trying to drag bodies into the lower left room which turned out to be the security hub, so they were all in the way and I couldn't shake him no matter how many doors I slammed. The plan had been to pile everyone in there and set a shock trap for anyone who came to check.

Eventually he shot Monst3r before he could peek out for a shot with the only AP3 gun I had. I conceded after that, but I think it's bullshit that he ran right through my cover grenade I used to block the door. Would Ping have distracted him or was the guy hell-bent on Monst3r?

I was ONE turn away from getting all the KO'd guards into the security room and winning that.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 30, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah, thanks game. This was really worth nine hours:

The next mission Monst3r had a vault card for sale and I had to sell one of my stun guns to get it. Unfortunately the amount of babysitting I had to do meant a reduction in early scouting. Ended up wiping at alarm level 4 when I took a wrong turn and went as far away from the teleporters as possible. That level was way too big for a security rating of 2 even if it was K&O.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What would you guys do in this scenario?

This is the very first mission, so it will be awhile before I get anyone up to Speed 4 even if I run into Decker. The extra disruptor could come in handy, but the aug is interesting too because my other agent is Sharp and I'm running with Seed/Lockpick. Having half of Power Drip for effectively no space penalty would be nice.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's the 5 Power cost I don't like. Stims already have a cooldown without crippling my hacking abilities.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Just beat Experienced on my third try with Sharp, Internationale and a Shalem 11 I got so late he was only good for bodysitting. I was really aggressive with safes but the beauty of having fewer agents was that I got them all up to Speed 4 and Strength whatever-gives-you-more-drag-speed. Sharp ended up stacking a bunch of AP augs and even got Cloak 3 at OMNI to complement his Cloak Stun + Chameleon Movement, so not only could he drop people multiple ways but when he hit them they stayed down. I managed to get everyone on the map using drag-and-pin cheese until Monster started hacking, but everyone made it to the server room conscious despite a pretty nasty layout. I consider it fair after I started off going for a dead end and had to drop a pair of Armour 3 guards that I ended up dragging all the way to the server room.

Seed is definitely better than Power Drip once you get over the instinct to hack everything you see, and it paid off huge at whatever corp constantly reboots things.

Oh yeah, and that one game unlocked all six archive agents.

Alright, enough chest-thumping. Time to take a few days off then try Expert.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 1, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there anywhere to buy the soundtrack?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

stiknork posted:

We're on sale -for 40% off this weekend in addition to the update, if anyone's interested and hasn't checked out the game. http://store.steampowered.com/app/243970
Is there any difference for you guys if someone buys from GOG? I chose them over Steam even though I would have had an extra 10% off for owning Ninja. Galaxy still hasn't updated so I'm guessing it's not your priority platform?

TastyLemonDrops posted:

A lot of the third tier items need nerfing.
Can we do this after I've found them a few times please?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 11, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If Klei patched out drag-and-stand cheese I quit.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fangz posted:

If I am carrying a dude and standing on top of a dude, does that mean I am pinning two enemies with the same guy?
Yes, and that's how I beat OMNI on Experienced.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 16, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm listening to the soundtrack on YouTube right now. Please sell it to me so I can make a proper playlist for work :)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is the DLC on GOG yet? Mine never updated through Galaxy.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Connoisseur posted:

From all the murdering I learned that Omni Harbingers' souped-up heartrate monitors are weird concerning the alarm tracker going up from kills. EMP prevents the tracker going up but Anatomy Analysis does not, despite the augment description saying (paraphrased) "kills do not increase the alarm tracker".
I think two separate alarm jumps happen - one for the kill and one for the monitor...?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Not being able to stun a guard in melee range that has sight on you is part of Expert+ (and expert?) It's why I say that you might as well just go straight into expert instead of experienced because it's a completely different game.
Expert+ only by default. There's a setting for it. gnome7 why not take the Expert+ settings and turn that one off?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Another one of the benefits of buying on GOG: Not playing for achievements.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

protomexican posted:

I agree that rapier mostly sucks, though. I think I might try it in an Always Run Challenge, though. :getin:
Rapier's good if you've got Internationale to vacuum up power nodes early on and you think you can bring down a lot of systems at levels 0/1. On higher difficulties I wouldn't recommend it, and once you have the experience to be more selective with your hacks it's not very good at all.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

oohhboy posted:

Remember anybody other than Monster or Central are meat shields at this point, if by taking a bullet lets Monster run through, do it. Guards are restricted to one attack per turn.
Ahahaha I wish. I have definitely had a guard on overwatch fire multiple shots.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

I'm listening to the soundtrack on YouTube right now. Please sell it to me so I can make a proper playlist for work :)
Quoting this because guess what's in my Youtube tab right now?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Why do I have to own the game on Steam to buy the soundtrack? I bought it on GOG and my reward has been slower patching and no extras. I want to pay for the music but not enough to re-buy the game.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Angry Diplomat posted:

The banter was incredible - I particularly liked one discussion where Shalem tries to chump Xu by quizzing him about bullet velocity, and Xu starts rattling figures off taking weather conditions and sea level into account and Shalem's grudgingly like "...huh, maybe you're not as useless as I thought."
Wait, when does this happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Did they ever patch drag+stand to incap two guards at once? It's the only way I ever beat the final mission.

• Locked thread