Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I felt underprepared for my first time going into the last mission. I played beginner for an hour or so on the free weekend and then quickly bought it and turned off the DLC. After three or four false starts I got into the swing of experienced, but despite individual missions going better I never managed to pick up anything decent for Incongnita.

I beamed into Omni with my starting duo of Fusion/Parasite & Banks/Internationale who in seventy two hours hadn't come up with more than Paralyser III & a Neural Disruptor III, a few bits of level I tech, leash, and Nika.

The tension was perfect and the combination of tradeoff and risk that goes into playing out different strategies is very satisfying. There's a lot of favourable comparison to FTL and XCOM there.

An unexpected layout had me scouting five rooms that went nowhere before, back toward the start, I found the security hub. Avoiding the 8 armour guards, while parasite nibbled along, was made easier thanks to a tag pistol picked up from the penultimate mission.

After a dozen or so turns and a couple of rewinds I had the facility’s boundaries, and two unconscious guards, in hand. Monster started hacking and just as I thought it was going okay security level three sends a new guy with 8 fresh levels of armour. He finds one of his sleeping friends on his first move. I distracted the guards as best I could and as monster hit the fourth hacking pip the some parasites finished, spawning deamons for a new guard and locking incognita out of hacking for 2 turns.

Everything was still cool once Monster finished but I didn't realise I'd need to bring him to the next point. It was of course on the other side of the facility, with only a single possible route, and all the guards between Monster and that terminal. With the amount of guards closing in I tried to hug past them but a scanning grenade pinged Monster and they swarmed. The alarm hit level 6 as Internationale was one turn off hitting Monster in the chest with a syringe of medigel, ten guards were up and about on the level and four of them between her and monster.

With everyone distracted by Internationale's downed body I tried to longshot sneak in Central only for her to bitch me out as she went down.

Hell of a game.

Of course the next run I got to the final massively over prepared and both rooms were right next to eachother and three solid rooms away from any guards.

Onto an Expert playthrough of Contingency Plan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread