Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grem posted:

Can I put it in an appeal to the VA? If not, I don't give a poo poo.

sounds like you have been morally injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Would this be a good place to discuss resiliency to moral injury, and the possibility of creating this resistance to moral injury in otherwise easily morally injured individuals?

I ask because war will always be an immoral affair, and there will be more wars, but we really need to figure out how to keep that basic fact from literally breaking so many goddamn young men's minds.

What they tried with the resiliency training poo poo was a joke. All PowerPoint, no training.

There is good training out there to get individuals through the worst kind of poo poo and live afterward.. SERE Level C is much closer to what I'm thinking of instead of a yearly resiliency PowerPoint.

I guess what I'm saying is- if we morally scar our little baby killing warriors bad enough, early enough, they won't even notice the moral injury of war.

If done right.

The problem I am describing is only amplified in magnitude by the social demographics of the youngest, lowest ranked, yet largest population, of our military unfortunately.

Someone is gonna have to find a way to power wash an awful lot of sand out of a lot of vaginas before moral injury isn't the second leading cause of sad brains after a four way tie at first place for Re-Enlisting, Getting Stop Lossed, IRR Recalls and War.

Big Bad Boy Bradley Manning isn't just cause célèbre for the LGBTQ'ers, he's the poster child for how easily his kind (which is far from uncommon) of service member is not only morally injured, but just how loving badly they react to said moral injury.

And no I don't mean gays or trans. I mean the grown man child syndrome that seems all to common amongst his kind of G.I. dirt bag and has only grown since the GWOT went hot.

Moral injury sucks, but you don't wind up being morally injured connecting cables on a server rack. Ya know?

Unless, of course, you are the tried and true blue breed of self blaming pussy looking to martyr yourself and the rest of us. Why? Just to appease your ego mostly and your false sense of narcissistic morality secondly. I.E. The Bradley Mannings of the DoD.

The "gently caress you dad!" generation is already maintaining and operating our nuclear weaponry. Within 15 years one of them will be in the Oval Office, and then we will live in a world were the "No! gently caress YOU! dad!" Children are completely vertically integrated in not only our nuclear enterprise, but sadly also it's associated command and control structure.

These kids wanna cut off their balls or tits to spite their bullies- and some day we'll let them control the nukes.

Thank god, nuclear cleansing is upon us.

I'm just packing my bags just waiting for the end times.

:350::nsa::350:

sounds like you have been morally injured.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This is a good topic Zeris.

I like the thread and I'm glad and surprised that the topic is something that at least is getting attention within the VA and academia.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeris posted:

Big point here: Moral injury is *not* PTSD. PTSD is diagnosed in a doctor's office, has a DSM-V listing, exhibits symptoms & requires clinical / therapeutic response. It is a medical condition.
Moral Injury is nebulous and nobody has nailed the idea just yet, but a few authors have described it well within specific contexts, like Jon Shay who wrote Achilles in Vietnam, received a MacArthur "genius" fellowship", and is widely consider the originator of the "moral injury" term itself. He also pushed for differentiation between PTSD and moral injury.

Would this be like e.g. a drone operator trying to deal with killing kids or families on another continent, from a non-traumatic air-conditioned cubicle? (I didn't see the movie about that(?) but they were talking about it on NPR and it reminded me of this thread.)

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endormoon posted:

And a hearty gently caress you to you too sir.

I don't know if you read sarcasm into my post, but I meant it sincerely. It's plainly obvious to me that playing a big video game that murders real people is an experience that can profoundly affect a person. But it seems like maybe that doesn't quite qualify as PTSD, since there was no conventional "trauma". I mean I believe psychological trauma is very real, but perhaps moral injury is a better label in any case for the specific sort of long-term damage this kind of experience leaves on someone's psyche.

• Locked thread