Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
So the pilot wasn't as bad as I thought it could be. Everyone else has commented on the Cousin stuff, so I'll ignore that. What seemed out of place was some of the dialogue - they'd be rambling along and then suddenly someone would open their mouth and out would come some nonsense.

What really threw me was when the sister came to the door and told Kara that she flat out shouldn't have rescued the people on the plane (including herself). It just seemed like really stupid dialogue, and I'm hoping that it's just pilotitis and the show not having found it's voice yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

I didn't really like any of the plot revolving around the plane. Why is the pilot circling the city in his plane with flaming engines? I realize there's not much safe landing options up in the sky, but what does circling a city do for you other than ensure increased death and destruction? Was he hoping Superman was paying attention and would come save the city and him? The plane doesn't have to be going down in the city for Kara to hear about it or for Cat Grant to use a super girl saving it to revitalize her news papers. Unless in the DC universe there's some sort of gentleman's agreement or law that only the "hometown" media is allowed to cover super heroes.

Then the little argument between Kara and her sister afterwards felt weird as hell. Kara never defends her actions with having to save her sister, and her sister clearly is trying to Man of Steel Pa Kent some poo poo while desperately trying not to come off as Pa Kent and sucks at it. Also maybe temper some of the giddy joy of flying and using your powers until after you talk about that plane crash your sister was in where she could totally still be somewhat hurt, instead of leading off with the fun powers followed by a oh, you ok?

The scene could've been better.

Pilot: Oh poo poo, a second engine is on fire.
Other Pilot: gently caress! Two engines on fire? Oh wells, might want to send out that Mayday then

Onean posted:

She was trying to keep Kara off her boss's poo poo list. It didn't work since Kara just turned to someone else, but that was her intention.

In general I thought it was perfectly fine. Not Amazing TV, but certainly not as bad as some people have been making it out to be.

I know she was trying to get Kara to tone things down, but it just came across as really tactless.
If she'd shown up and thanked Kara, but told her that by doing so she had exposed herself to some really bad stuff in terms of publicity if anyone ever worked out who she was it would have been better.

It's definitely serviceable, and it's only the pilot. I think it'll be a good CBS show and will get at least a second season.

Pikehead fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 25, 2015

• Locked thread