Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Rarity posted:

I was trying to work out exactly how it felt and yeah, this is it completely. I do kind of like the idea of a girl superhero who's really shy and dorky though. Superhero ladies are always presented as either a) stone cold badass, b) sexbots or c) both. It's nice to see them at least trying something different.
Ha! I came into the thread to say the Supergirl trailer did unironically what SNL's "Black Widow: Marvel Understands Girls" trailer did, and was beaten by four people. All it was missing was the DC Hulk equivalent offering her ice cream.

Also chiming in on that terrible "YOU'RE the sexist" clip - I'm with you on how awful it is that the awful boss says it (in the most condescending way possible). I know that they need to sort of lampshade the "SuperGIRL" and not "SuperWOMAN" thing but it would work better if the hero embraced it and not the awful boss we're all supposed to hate.

EDIT: also, the heroine is literally told to "go back to making coffee." WHAT.

AnimeJune fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Calista Flockhart gets her hands on some super-powered wrinkle cream that makes her skin tough as stone and becomes the show's Lex Luthor. :haw:
Ha, appropriate Catwoman reference. I really hope the Supergirl people take a lesson from how Catwoman crashed and burned.

Like, apart from Catwoman giving absolutely zero fucks regarding the source material, it was a such painfully obvious and cliched attempt to pander to a female audience based on what an alien would believe women were after watching nothing but early '90s sitcoms, Galaxy Quest-style. Catwoman gets a makeover! Catwoman has GurlTalk with a Sassy Less-Attractive Friend! Catwoman steals diamonds because Gurls Love Diamonds! Girls like make-up, right? The villainess works at a make up company only it makes EVIL MAKE UP and needs to be STOPPED!

I just hope they make the show about how she's awesome and interesting and brave and less about how "SHE'S A SUPERHERO .... WHO'S ALSO A GIRL?! HOW WILL SHE MANAGE BOTH!" Like, her "being a girl" shouldn't be the unique pitch of this show (like how "Mysteries of Laura" is "she's a detective.... and a MOM?! WITCHCRAFT!").

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I think Liz Hurley was selling evil protein supplements, not evil moisturiser.
WOMEN AM I RIGHT.

SO MANY PRODUCTS AND LOTIONS. WHAT IF THEY WERE EEEEVIL?

It makes me want to write an Arrow storyline centred around tainted (or more tainted than usual) Axe Body Spray.

• Locked thread