Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
That Supergirl trailer was kind of bad. Especially since there were 6-7 references to Superman in it and that it literally copies the plot from the 2006 Superman movie and looks like a weird combination of the CW's seriously good drama with some terrible chick flick girl power element added to it.

The music choice was also especially terrible because it sounded like Kelly Clarkson and all that implies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deadpool posted:

Well when the pilot was shot he was only supposed to be a one time guest star. They then announced this week he'll be recurring in the show as the mentor for the main character.

The movie had 3-4 endings on DVD, so I'd love to see which one they went with, but it's a pretty interesting concept to explore with talented actors and I assume Cooper is the addict who kicked the Limitless drug but still has a bit of a unique edge and is now watching a world where more and more people abuse the drug and seeing dark times he tries to guide the main actor into a position and power and control to make a better world.

I don't really know what the plan is, the whole point of the movie was you take an addictive drug that makes you literally superior but with diminishing returns and the biggest problem is what comes next, so a tv show isn't the best medium for that idea.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gamesguy posted:

Am I the only one who cringed while watching the Supergirl trailer?

They're going in the direction of light hearted (not a bad thing) and making Kara the "adorkable" cliche female star (again, not necessarily bad) but the "do you have a problem with the word girl?" and the attempted stirring "you're a hero" speech are just awful and the music choices really turned off a lot of people. Plus, in the 6 minute trailer there were a ton of references to Superman that seemed really out of place, especially the Jimmy Olson "Superman told me he wanted you to do this, but he wanted you to make the choice on your own."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
MY COUSIN
YOUR COUSIN
MY COUSIN
YOUR COUSIN
MY COUSIN
YOUR COUSIN.

That is some terrible writing. Were they really afraid that people watching a show called "Supergirl" would have no idea that she's connected to Superman.

All in all, it seemed like a watered down version of the CW shows meant to have a much broader appeal. Not really that bad, but the whole "WE NEED TO KEEP ALIENS SECRET" underlying plot doesn't really make much sense.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 23, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deadpool posted:

Oh God, a million times yes. The smart thing that show did was get away from mentioning Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America in every episode though and then make it a plot point that the team operated completely unknown to those characters so it would be believable that they wouldn't show up. If Supergirl dials down the Superman references to like none and then lets the character do her own thing without everyone talking about her cousin all the time it will be fine. But it was annoying as hell in the pilot because the pilot kept trying to hit you over the head with a giant hammer that said "GIRLS CAN DO THINGS TOO" and then spent the entire episode comparing everything she did to her cousin. It was pretty terrible.

Agents of Shield was a hot mess for the bulk of season 1 as they struggled to work within the mandated timeline while avoiding any meta references until Winter Solider, but after that it was a fantastic show on its own. Season 2 has been amazing because rather then forcing the show to hold things back for the sake of MCU movies the entire season was a build-up to introducing the Kree and the Inhumans, a major part of the upcoming MCU and not mentioned or referenced in the movies at all. I'd even say that many of the season 2 episodes have been better then some of the recent MCU movies.

Supergirl can be a great standalone show if they make the focus on her and what she does, rather then Jimmy Olsen constantly popping in to say "oh your cousin told me this", and if they dial back the raging sexism. It seems like a natural evolution of the DC tv series; first we had Arrow which is dark and serious most of the time, then they introduced Flash, which was mostly comedic with drama, and now we have Supergirl, which appears to be a girl power light-hearted romcom with a semi-dark meta plot.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm pretty sure Supergirl's origin was always "distant relative from a different planet" the particulars aren't important. The JLU version had her being raised by the Kents. The role of "Supergirl" in the comics is convoluted as gently caress since you have Powergirl as well and it really depends on whatever DC wants to decide is the new origin.

Also, just from watching the episode while comparing it to the CW shows it looks like they are spending a gently caress-ton more money on stuff just based on the backgrounds and number of expensive set pieces. Seems like a waste, but I expected it from a big 4 network not caring about making every dollar count.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah, it's really dumb. A plot where "When your ship left the Phantom Zone other things followed" would be a great Supergirl story but they shoved the "your cousin" aspect into the pilot way too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

I teach English in Asia, and one of my classes is mostly middle school girls. They were doing a drawing activity today and one of them drew Superman flying up and saving a plane. I said "Why Superman? Why not Supergirl?" and showed her the plane-saving part from the trailer on my phone. She got very excited and erased Superman to put in Supergirl.

So even if I think the pilot was not as good as it could have been and didn't get me as hyped as The Flash's did, I really, really hope the show does well with people who aren't comic book nerds in their 20's and 30's.

The problem is TV networks and ratings is that they don't give a gently caress if 7-13 year old girls like the show. If the 18-49s aren't watching in high numbers then no one cares. Plus the show comes off like something that would succeed on Fox or The CW, not CBS, the biggest network.

Also, you just know as a network show featuring a female main character there are going to be a ton of romance hijinks.

• Locked thread