Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

computer parts posted:

The 1920s United States was extremely white and most of those attracted extremely male audiences, so I'd say that's a fair assumption.

You got any statistical data? Because anecdotal evidence from reminisces of pulp authors and the letters pages of old comics suggest substantial numbers of women read them, and other anecdotes suggest racial diversity as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

https://archive.moe/v/thread/294463531/#294464707

Just live for slightly under 23 minutes, yeah.

*quietly eyes this thread's timestamps*

quote:

When will we be able to torch all SJWs

>MUH RACISM

loving die you cucks

Look at all that hard-hitting, creative content.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Bullfrog posted:

it's like the bad thread that did nothing good was deleted hint hint ;)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bedlamdan posted:

it's like the bad thread that did nothing good was deleted hint hint ;)

Your posting being bad isn't so much a hint as it is an overwhelming odor.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bullfrog posted:

So I guess this brings back the issue of why there are so many people on that page tripping all over themselves to be racist homophobes.

Effectronica posted:

You got any statistical data? Because anecdotal evidence from reminisces of pulp authors and the letters pages of old comics suggest substantial numbers of women read them, and other anecdotes suggest racial diversity as well

I think it's fair to say that the majority of the content was created and consumed by white guys, with all the social biases that were dominant at the time, but that there was a significant strain of diverse and progressive elements involved, right? I mean, early Superman, for example. Even focusing just on the creators doesn't tell a complete story of course; for example Star Trek slash fiction, created by an audience the network wasn't even paying attention to, basically invented the genre of modern fan fiction., which often works tangentially to or in opposition to the narrative as seen by the creators, and even most fans. Not that fan / slash fiction doesn't have its own host of issues.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Nintendo Kid posted:

Your posting being bad isn't so much a hint as it is an overwhelming odor.
I think it's probably highly illegal to respond to a post with just the ironicat emoticon in DnD.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Bedlamdan posted:

https://archive.moe/v/thread/294463531/#294464707

Just live for slightly under 23 minutes, yeah.

*quietly eyes this thread's timestamps*

quote:

Quoted By: >>294465016
I want FYAD to leave

Synthy I know you're here

Get out and stay out

Nothing you have ever said or done has ever been funny or worth reading

>>294464959
Synthy has bad taste in video games.

I wish I could make people so mad that they got upset just by someone else mentioning a website I post on.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The "funny" thing about /pol/ is I think in many ways it did the opposite of what was intended, instead of other boards actually making any sort of examination of their politics and going "wow we're kind of racist we should do something about that" the refrain is just "go back to /pol/," its okay that people are saying such heinous stuff because they're not REAL posters for whatever board, they're an invasive foreign element.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Regardless of how much content 4chan creates it's an insufferable place to visit because nearly every discussion is going to degenerate into people calling each other SJWs, shills, samefags, jews, cucks, etc. There's like, a marginal chance you might get a legitimate discussion about anything.

/tg is occasionally okay, as long as you never mention women.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It'd be funny as poo poo if for like 36 hours, with no warning, 4chan activated a filter that banned anyone who typed a common racial slur for like a month.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Nintendo Kid posted:

It'd be funny as poo poo if for like 36 hours, with no warning, 4chan activated a filter that banned anyone who typed a common racial slur for like a month.

I would laugh.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

This thread is a loving embarrassment.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

ForeverSmug posted:

This thread is a loving embarrassment.

Mostly because of the number of people who have crawled out to defend 4chan's bald racism, misogyny, and general ugliness.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

That would be amazing. You want some lulz? I got your lulz right here, fucker.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Cliff Racer posted:

But if you want to talk about ruining lives... Do you think its OK to ruin people's lives with stuff like this or the lady who lost her job because she made that AIDS joke a few years ago?

I did want to talk about this. I do agree this isn't right. Like the woman who made that AIDS joke, she's an idiot, she deserves to be called out on it, but looking back on that whole thing it felt like people were masturbating to the fact that this woman's life was gonna be ruined and it's creepy.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
This site full of ironic racism makes me mad because it isn't my preferred website. I, as a proud Goon, have never allowed anything of that sort on this proud comedy forum. Why, if there were some sort of forum dedicated to making those jokes, I would just be aghast.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't think anyone anywhere thinks that 4chan is good.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Cliff Racer posted:

I think the content comes from the anonymity. Without a name the worst you can do, when you try something out, is fail at it. On SA people will follow you around dragging it up or give you a BRCT or just get real creepy about it.* So 4chan gets more content and most of it is worthless and forgotten within a day but enough lives on that it dwarfs SA's stuff. I've been part of small traditional (so SA-like rather than 4chan-like) forums before that have been amazing- you could post basically whatever you wanted there as long as it was within the bounds of the discussion and you wouldn't get poo poo. People might argue or downvote but ultimately discussion was judged by other members based on the merit of the posts rather than who was part of the in crowd or what other people were saying about it. These forums all lost that aspect as they grew and louder, less talented members moved in and started basing things on people's reputations rather than on what was actually being posted. I think the chans get around that with anonymity, you can't form cults of personality or hate a post based solely on who wrote it because you can't tell who the other users are from thread to thread.

*Seriously, SA is far creepier to individuals than 4chan is because channers are typically at least funny about it. Compare something like 4chan loving with Ben Garrison to Dubie's Doghouse. With Ben there's him making unintentionally funny legal threats, his continued reaction to obvious photoshops and more, with Dubie its what, him buying an oven fan?

Was Ben Garrison the Ron Paul Fanboy who had all of his cartoons turned into nazi propaganda?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
4chan, much like SA, is full of people who gripe and bitch constantly about the site but continue to show up anyway.

Anyway, the place is more politically varied than you'd expect, much like how we're more politically varied than the "SJW-run Hellhole" stereotype that 4chan and some subreddits ascribe to SA.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Crowsbeak posted:

Was Ben Garrison the Ron Paul Fanboy who had all of his cartoons turned into nazi propaganda?

Yes. Latest is channers spamming Fox News coverage of the Baltimore riots with stuff about him and the news anchors trying to figure it out on air with mentions about him being some sort of anti-semitic cartoonist.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
this could be an interesting discussion about how internet communities police themselves if people would stop getting personally offended when 4chan's honor is questioned

it's kind of evident there's something to be said about how anonymous boards attract and retain more broken brained people simply based on above mentioned phenomenon, unfolding right now

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
A professor recently released a 4-year ethnography of 4chan and internet trolling in general which seems germane: http://www.amazon.ca/This-Cant-Have-Nice-Things/dp/0262028948

quote:

Internet trolls live to upset as many people as possible, using all the technical and psychological tools at their disposal. They gleefully whip the media into a frenzy over a fake teen drug crisis; they post offensive messages on Facebook memorial pages, traumatizing grief-stricken friends and family; they use unabashedly racist language and images. They take pleasure in ruining a complete stranger's day and find amusement in their victim's anguish. In short, trolling is the obstacle to a kinder, gentler Internet. To quote a famous Internet meme, trolling is why we can't have nice things online. Or at least that's what we have been led to believe. In this provocative book, Whitney Phillips argues that trolling, widely condemned as obscene and deviant, actually fits comfortably within the contemporary media landscape. Trolling may be obscene, but, Phillips argues, it isn't all that deviant. Trolls' actions are born of and fueled by culturally sanctioned impulses -- which are just as damaging as the trolls' most disruptive behaviors.

Phillips describes, for example, the relationship between trolling and sensationalist corporate media -- pointing out that for trolls, exploitation is a leisure activity; for media, it's a business strategy. She shows how trolls, "the grimacing poster children for a socially networked world," align with social media. And she documents how trolls, in addition to parroting media tropes, also offer a grotesque pantomime of dominant cultural tropes, including gendered notions of dominance and success and an ideology of entitlement. We don't just have a trolling problem, Phillips argues; we have a culture problem. This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things isn't only about trolls; it's about a culture in which trolls thrive.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Crowsbeak posted:

Ben Garrison is a hardcore anti-semite (he killed 4 jews in a barfight) that libertarians have been trying to whitewash. Ben Garrison considers jews to be the worst problem in the country/world, and this conveniently meshes with equally idiotic anti-federal reserve austrian economics fans, so they deface his cartoons by replacing jews with the fed and big government.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Popular Thug Drink posted:

This could be an interesting discussion about how internet communities police themselves if people would stop getting personally offended when 4chan's honor is questioned

Now now, most of them are just getting offended at the very idea that people really dislike them personally, and how unfair it is that people can remember other people's past.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

this could be an interesting discussion about how internet communities police themselves if people would stop getting personally offended when 4chan's honor is questioned

it's kind of evident there's something to be said about how anonymous boards attract and retain more broken brained people simply based on above mentioned phenomenon, unfolding right now

I just think people here exaggerate a lot about sites they don't post on. Not really mad, though.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SunAndSpring posted:

I just think people here exaggerate a lot about sites they don't post on. Not really mad, though.

ok, thanks for clarifying that you personally are experiencing no negative emotions because of this thread. there are however some people who are provoked enough by this thread to testily register their dislike for the argument, which itself is indicative of a defensive mindset - and this reaction is germane to the topic that anonymous boards do perhaps serve as an anti-hugbox and a launchpad for aggressive and anti-social speech

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SunAndSpring posted:

You have weird ideas of what sites people post on, I think.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Cliff Racer posted:

Yes. Latest is channers spamming Fox News coverage of the Baltimore riots with stuff about him and the news anchors trying to figure it out on air with mentions about him being some sort of anti-semitic cartoonist.

Thats kind of lovely, I mean to be turned into some sort of nazi by a bunch of assholes. And actually have it so that when I Google Ben garrison I see pictures of him with a swastika lined up with his photo must make his life hell.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
perhaps the only way to compete with 4chan on the social media front is to bring back lf

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

to compete with 4chan on the social media front

Why do it at all?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Woolie Wool posted:

Why do it at all?

Cliff Racer posted:

Our discussion was on why 4chan produces more, and better content. Meriflex said that he didn't think that the "reprehensible morality" of 4chan is what made it so good at producing content. I expanded on that by saying that the anonymity was what made it so good. Then went on to say that small forums with user names and post counts and such can get around that but after a certain point they are no longer able to.

gentlemen we cannot allow a posting gap

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

ok, thanks for clarifying that you personally are experiencing no negative emotions because of this thread. there are however some people who are provoked enough by this thread to testily register their dislike for the argument, which itself is indicative of a defensive mindset - and this reaction is germane to the topic that anonymous boards do perhaps serve as an anti-hugbox and a launchpad for aggressive and anti-social speech

It's a pretty interesting topic. I've noticed that posters on 4chan get really testy when someone breaks anonymity in some way. People who use tripcodes to give themselves a name are disliked, announcing you're a girl or a minority of some kind when it's not relevant is met with derision, and so on. It does bring a sense of informality and equality that not many sites have when everything is going pretty well (no one is trolling and trying to piss certain groups off); your personal social status, whether you're well-off or poor, male or female, majority or minority, or whatever does not matter, only what you post. Granted, it falls apart once any sort of politics is mentioned, but it's pretty neat to post on even footing with others. No need for putting on a facade and trying to act like someone you aren't.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SunAndSpring posted:

It's a pretty interesting topic. I've noticed that posters on 4chan get really testy when someone breaks anonymity in some way. People who use tripcodes to give themselves a name are disliked, announcing you're a girl or a minority of some kind when it's not relevant is met with derision, and so on. It does bring a sense of informality and equality that not many sites have when everything is going pretty well (no one is trolling and trying to piss certain groups off); your personal social status, whether you're well-off or poor, male or female, majority or minority, or whatever does not matter, only what you post. Granted, it falls apart once any sort of politics is mentioned, but it's pretty neat to post on even footing with others. No need for putting on a facade and trying to act like someone you aren't.

Of course the counterpoint to this is that "white male" is the default.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SunAndSpring posted:

so long as you act and post like a nerdy white guy. it sanitizes personal experiences because then anyone can dismiss anything you have to say with the accusation that you're a basement dwelling suburban shutin, same as everyone else. anonymity forces a certain conformity by removing any personal context, which can be good in some degree but i think also limits the possibility of any usefuld discussion

which is my big issue with the supposed free speech of image boards, you're totally free to say whatever you want about certain topics in a certain way

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 15, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Yeah, it's what I said. Bringing up anything political like race relations, gender, etc. breaks the illusion because, obviously, not everybody fits in the typical 4chan poster archetype. Still, it's pretty nice for discussion of unimportant poo poo like movies, TV, games, and so on.

I do wonder what would alleviate that problem without flat-out removing anonymity altogether.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 15, 2015

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SunAndSpring posted:

It's a pretty interesting topic. I've noticed that posters on 4chan get really testy when someone breaks anonymity in some way. People who use tripcodes to give themselves a name are disliked, announcing you're a girl or a minority of some kind when it's not relevant is met with derision, and so on. It does bring a sense of informality and equality that not many sites have when everything is going pretty well (no one is trolling and trying to piss certain groups off); your personal social status, [whether you're well-off or poor, male or female, majority or minority, or whatever does not matter, only what you post. Granted, it falls apart once any sort of politics is mentioned, but it's pretty neat to post on even footing with others. No need for putting on a facade and trying to act like someone you aren't.

It does matter. You just said "announcing you're a girl or a minority of some kind when it's not relevant is met with derision." Why should it be met with derision? Does announcing that you're a guy when it's not relevant get met with derision? Why should women and minorities expect to be met with derision if they happen to let it slip that they aren't white males? Which, as has been said twice, is the default assumption? "Let's assume everyone is a white guy until suggested otherwise, then let's deride them" isn't equality or even footing.

You literally said that a woman has to be careful not to reveal that she's a woman, otherwise people will attack her for it. This isn't the case for men. How is that possibly equal footing?

SunAndSpring posted:

Yeah, it's what I said. Bringing up anything political like race relations, gender, etc. breaks the illusion because, obviously, not everybody fits in the typical 4chan poster archetype. Still, it's pretty nice when it works.

How is it "pretty nice" for everyone to assume everyone else is a white male, under threat of derision and vitriol if they let it slip they aren't? Also you're making an assumption that this assumption ("we're all white guys") isn't in fact political. It is.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 15, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SunAndSpring posted:

Yeah, it's what I said. Bringing up anything political like race relations, gender, etc. breaks the illusion because, obviously, not everybody fits in the typical 4chan poster archetype. Still, it's pretty nice when it works.

Existing as someone who isn't this guy:

Apparently political.

Tin Soldier
Apr 13, 2005

Every other board on the internet is laughing at you dorks right now.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SunAndSpring posted:

yeah, but how is it really free speech if you're only allowed to agree with the majority opinion?

SunAndSpring posted:

I do wonder what would alleviate that problem without flat-out removing anonymity altogether.

it's not really a problem, so long as we're not calling this kind of discussion equal or free

Tin Soldier posted:

is this... supposed to be a bad thing? am i supposed to feel shame?

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tin Soldier posted:

Wow who knew every other board on the internet had literally nothing better to do than read a thread with like 5 people posting in it? I thought they were full of fresh content because you can say, uh, things more freely??

• Locked thread