Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

CommieGIR posted:

GBS is slowly devolving into a poo poo storm of 4chan like materiel.

The amount of cross over between SA and 4chan has always been pretty big, funny photoshop things on GBS will normally end up on 4chan in less than a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
lol b&

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Stop the introspective. Now.

I don't want to stare into that abyss.

Hail goatman.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

This thread is not really talking about 4chan. Most of the discussion here seems to be engaging with the comparatively tiny part of "chan culture" visible above the waterline, recently thrust there by the volcanic activity of the movement which must not be named. Most of the posting/culture on 4chan is nowhere near coherent enough to fit any or all of the description or critique here. Certainly if you go browse boards like /pol/ or /v/, then you're going to see a lot of that. But critique of reactionary, right-wing /v/-posting is not really applicable to, say, /x/, or even /vg/. I'm certain there's people who visit /vg/ for specific general threads without ever touching the rest of the site. /tg/ is practically a subculture unto itself with its own set of issues. Hell, for all its faults, even /a/ cannot be compared to the worst depths of /pol/. This isn't even touching on the mostly-normal-people-in-a-nightclub population of /soc/, or the sub-sub-sub cultures formed on /lgbt/ or /cgl/. I doubt, for example, that most of what is being said in this thread could be applied to /lgbt/'s trans generals.

There is a very real phenomenon of right-wing reactionary nerdom, being played out some on 4chan and some on the wider internet in general, and that certainly merits some investigation. But do you want to talk about that, or do you want to talk about 4chan?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hungry posted:

There is a very real phenomenon of right-wing reactionary nerdom, being played out some on 4chan and some on the wider internet in general, and that certainly merits some investigation. But do you want to talk about that, or do you want to talk about 4chan?

Yeah, it was this I wanted to talk about really. I started off talking about 4chan because I always thought poo poo like GG is where it started and just bloomed from there.

I definitely took the wrong approach when I made this thread.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Bicyclops posted:

What, functionally, is the difference between "mundane media consumers" and someone who delves more deeply into the medium in question? We're all "regular mundane media consumers," regardless of whether we're just watching Scandal or listening to Doctor Who audio dramas. All of it is "mundane media." What "should have been addressed" about this supposed menace?

As bad as 8chan is, the offsite SA reject Nazi forum is a million times worse. GBS is also pretty bad these days.
People who occasionally or shallowly engage media and have a lot of opinions vs someone who devotes time/money/personal effort in their particular fandom.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

rudatron posted:

I feel like you could make a better place than reddit/4chan if you could limit the ability of small, dedicated groups to brigade/drive discussion in the direction they want. The reality is the existence of people like /pol/ posters, and the willingness of those members to project their misanthropic abrasiveness everywhere else, is what drives bald-faced racism to be socially acceptable on 4chan. And don't say 'it just ironic', it's not, ironic racism is possible to do but is distinguishable from actual racism to people with a brain, you're not fooling anyone.

Says you, there' probably a lot of people on there that would surprise you, not every progressive or feminist has a stick up their rear end 24/7 about this poo poo. Also bald-faced racism and sexism happens here all the time, go check out the old thread on the fake college rape thing if you don't believe me.

CommieGIR posted:

GBS is slowly devolving into a poo poo storm of 4chan like materiel.

Interestingly enough it has gotten a lot better during this time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

temple posted:

People who occasionally or shallowly engage media and have a lot of opinions vs someone who devotes time/money/personal effort in their particular fandom.

It sort of depends on what you mean by "shallowly engage." You can watch the Star Wars movies, never engage with any of the other media associated with the franchise, and still have well-formed opinions about they succeed as entertainment, what the factors are the lead to their success, etc.

You can also read all of the comic books, novels, and buy all the merchandise, and never get past engaging with the media on a shallow level, never assessing it critically, and forever thinking of the characters more a pretend friends than as narrative devices, obsessing over "canon" and everything else in the "fandom."

The first thing is not at all worth caring about as a "problem," and it doesn't matter if that person who has only seen the movies wants to call him/herself a "fan" or a "Star Wars person" or whatever. "Fake geekhood" is not a real problem. The actions taken by people who perceive others to be "fake geeks," on the other hand, is.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

tsa posted:

Says you, there' probably a lot of people on there that would surprise you, not every progressive or feminist has a stick up their rear end 24/7 about this poo poo. Also bald-faced racism and sexism happens here all the time, go check out the old thread on the fake college rape thing if you don't believe me.

Like at least LF had a sense of humor about the whole thing.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Gamergate and all the other recent nerd culture "movements" or whatever you want to call them are nothing more than the death throes of an online population that flourished in the early mid 2000s and wishes with all its might that the internet hasn't completely changed since then

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

people who take the internet seriously should be ashamed

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Hungry posted:

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, it was this I wanted to talk about really. I started off talking about 4chan because I always thought poo poo like GG is where it started and just bloomed from there.

I want to third this. Watching the evolution of 4chan's news/politics board throughout its various incarnations was one of the more astonishing things I've subjected myself to through the internet until it got to the point where I finally ceded that there was nowhere further for it to sink. The way that kind of madness has permeated outside of its ghetto is interesting as well, but it almost pales in comparison to the toxicity of /pol/ itself and other boards like it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

tsa posted:

ehhhhh, lets not go crazy here

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

youre all mentally ill

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Bicyclops posted:

The first thing is not at all worth caring about as a "problem," and it doesn't matter if that person who has only seen the movies wants to call him/herself a "fan" or a "Star Wars person" or whatever. "Fake geekhood" is not a real problem. The actions taken by people who perceive others to be "fake geeks," on the other hand, is.
There is two side to fake geekhood. There are people that temporarily fall in love with a thing and then drift away. Then there is the 4chan type of fake geek that isn't invested in the subject at hand and just want a (or any) community to accept them. The latter can be dangerous because they aren't really interested in the topic but want to derail and monopolize the attention for themselves. True blue fans or nerds are more inclusive IMO and the idea that gamers hate girls is baffling to me. A girl gamer is the ultimate fantasy for nerds or gamers. Its more of the casual, social members around a particular fandom that introduces the poisonous aspects. And it could be because inclusiveness leads to a loss of identity and control by the previous members.

However, 4chan is a special case in that the internet was a predominantly white male thing originally. So, they are legitimately invested in the exclusivity of their community over the topics therein. I have a theory that the first wave of a community is always the most regressive and has to be purged for the community to really define itself.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

As bad as 8chan is, the offsite SA reject Nazi forum is a million times worse. GBS is also pretty bad these days.

I used to read GBS a lot because it was cool sometimes. But as nice as the rules being relaxed in 2.0 or whatever helped out a lot, it didn't seem to take a lot of time to devolve into stuff like unironic racism.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

temple posted:

True blue fans or nerds are more inclusive IMO and the idea that gamers hate girls is baffling to me. A girl gamer is the ultimate fantasy for nerds or gamers.

This is fetishism, not inclusion.

Doctor Butts posted:

I used to read GBS a lot because it was cool sometimes. But as nice as the rules being relaxed in 2.0 or whatever helped out a lot, it didn't seem to take a lot of time to devolve into stuff like unironic racism.

2.0 is the worst thing that ever happened to GBS.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea, although in the beginning it was nice to ease the restrictions and see more creativity, it turned to poo poo really fast and is terrible now.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

The liveleak video of that protestor screaming GAS at a riot

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

temple posted:

True blue fans or nerds are more inclusive IMO and the idea that gamers hate girls is baffling to me. A girl gamer is the ultimate fantasy for nerds or gamers.

How did you type that second sentence without seeing the answer to the first one encoded in it?

I really have to disagree with you that it is those who casually engage with a hobby who have the tendency to manifest the uglier qualities of the community. I have never seen any evidence to that effect. There is nothing about engaging with something to the point of obsession that would correlate with being progressive about it, nor is there anything about being devoted to a piece of media that would correlate with engaging with it critically, rather than as a security blanket.

I distinctly reject the idea that there is a large group of people who engage with a hobby casually purely to pretend they are a part of the fanbase. There is plenty of forced grouping that is easier and provides better rewards, socially. As to the first thing, falling in love with a thing and then drifting away from it, that is not being a "fake geek," it's having opinions about media that evolve over time, something any healthy person must do.

"Fake geekhood" is not a real problem and it never will be. lovely bigots who wield privilege as a gateway to niche hobbies definitely are a problem, and plenty of them engage with said hobbies on more than a surface level.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 15, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't visit 4chan so I don't have anything to add, but you got FYAD trolling a d&d thread so good job op

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

site posted:

I don't visit 4chan so I don't have anything to add, but you got FYAD trolling a d&d thread so good job op

yes, what an unprecedented state of affairs

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

site posted:

Fyads can form coherent sentences, thus bettering D&D.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

site posted:

The thread has fallen victim to the extremely good rule of OP not being allowed to lock it after it goes to poo poo.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

qnqnx posted:

youre all mentally ill

i blame internets, i would have been a well adjusted glue sniffer otherwise.

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Fyads can form coherent sentences, thus bettering D&D.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

temple posted:

Most of the people devoting a lot of time and money into a fandom shallowly engage the work, at best.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
Gas and ban every poster above me.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

goatse.cx posted:

Gas and ban every poster above me.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

tsa posted:

This is why this thread is embarrassing. It is a humorless analysis of something that at the very least presents itself as a joke, and serious analysis isn't going to crack that. There's a reason a funny guy from FYAD making one or two sentence burns on retarded racist pedophile narcissistic sociopaths is effective and it isn't because they spend hundreds of pages of analysis on poo poo, they just call it out for what it is and crack jokes that are reliably funny. D&D and GBS 1.0 talk/talked very seriously about how 'ironic jokes' don't give cover to offensive content yet somehow a batch of insanely offensive FYAD posters were the ones that got all the threads dedicated to 'ironic' analysis of pedophilic anime visual novels banned from this forum.

site posted:

Not seeing a lot of FYAD regulars here tbh, but I haven't read that forum in a while so who knows. could you do me a solid and point them out?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dunno what the names of their alts are (nor do i care tbh) but they were talking about it in the goonlulz thread.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Bifner McDoogle posted:

This is why this thread is embarrassing. It is a humorless analysis of something that at the very least presents itself as a joke, and serious analysis isn't going to crack that. There's a reason a funny guy from FYAD making one or two sentence burns on retarded racist pedophile narcissistic sociopaths is effective and it isn't because they spend hundreds of pages of analysis on poo poo, they just call it out for what it is and crack jokes that are reliably funny. D&D and GBS 1.0 talk/talked very seriously about how 'ironic jokes' don't give cover to offensive content yet somehow a batch of insanely offensive FYAD posters were the ones that got all the threads dedicated to 'ironic' analysis of pedophilic anime visual novels banned from this forum.

Not seeing a lot of FYAD regulars here tbh, but I haven't read that forum in a while so who knows. could you do me a solid and point them out?

being dead serious is very important, because i have the need to feel a stick up my arse

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Woolie Wool posted:

This is fetishism, not inclusion.

Or perhaps it is inclusion that is fetishized?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

site posted:

lol yeah one ice rear end posting gas pedorro twice and nobody caring, w'ere getting wrecked boys

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

lol yeah one ice rear end posting gas pedorro twice and nobody caring, w'ere getting wrecked boys

I just meant this thread actually got em to come to dnd which like never happens

It wasn't supposed to be some thing that people actually reply to me over but here we are lol

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
I think it's possible to discuss these things a bit seriously but also with jokes. Jokes are what makes the mind numbing tedium of yet another dissection of the MRA /pol/ack channer cishet bugaboo mind bearable. Don't take me wrong, these people are frequently a loving pain and occasionally a menace to some folks but there's no reason to circle the wagons and get all huffy because a bunch of gibbis/fyad goonsters are cracking jokes in the thread.

Not that the great closing of the ranks has actually happened here yet mind you. Surprising lack of salt from the D&D oldboys, most of it coming from the "other side", whatever that is. The side of people uncomfortable with taking a closer look at nerddom's genital warts or w/e? We need Ruddha in here I think.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

site posted:

I just meant this thread actually got em to come to dnd which like never happens

none of them came is the point I'm making

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

murphyslaw posted:

I think it's possible to discuss these things a bit seriously but also with jokes. Jokes are what makes the mind numbing tedium of yet another dissection of the MRA /pol/ack channer cishet bugaboo mind bearable. Don't take me wrong, these people are frequently a loving pain and occasionally a menace to some folks but there's no reason to circle the wagons and get all huffy because a bunch of gibbis/fyad goonsters are cracking jokes in the thread.

Not that the great closing of the ranks has actually happened here yet mind you. Surprising lack of salt from the D&D oldboys, most of it coming from the "other side", whatever that is. The side of people uncomfortable with taking a closer look at nerddom's genital warts or w/e? We need Ruddha in here I think.

It's always kind of entertaining watching the "lol I don't care, stop being so serious" sorts get really, really worked up about being talked about.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

none of them came is the point I'm making

Okay

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
I mean there's maybe not a lot of fyad folks in here I guess. The usual bunch in D&D who tend to get at least a little snippy about talking about nerds/structural problems/the sheer unrelenting eeeevil of the white man (gantolandon, tsa, on the left I think? Lateposting, but I think I got most of them) have been here and said their piece which is basically it for opposition to the conversation taking place. The most amusing thing is the idea that other forums are discussing this thread and getting worked up about it. I mean, jesus, really? Is that really happening? If so, holy moley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Good Thread Idea

• Locked thread