Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I think a lot of the misogyny and hypermachismo you see in gamer/nerd culture is a desire not to be seen as feminine. In real life, a lot of people who get categorized as nerds are often ridiculed for being unathletic, for being uninterested in sports, for being weak or small, or any number of other traits that are often identified as "feminine". In their desire to assert themselves as "not a girl", and aided by the anonymity of places like 4chan, they go way too far in the other direction. People who argue with their bombastic, MRA-style rhetoric only cause them to dig in more because they perceive criticism as an attack on their manhood rather than as constructive feedback. It's a perfect storm of human beings with a completely diminished ego and a powerful drive to go defensive immediately when criticized.
Something I find interesting is the similarities between gamer/nerd culture and US army culture. Men's insecurities play defining roles in each and you can see the same sort of high school PTSD and fear of women from both camps. I kind of want to put together an effortpost on it because its pretty shocking just how close the two group are as far as philosophy goes.

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

Likewise, the progressive and feminist impulse that once agitated for freedom of expression and collective liberation now sounds censorious, joyless and addicted to the narcissism of small difference.

*Drinks sternly from a cup of men's tears*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread