Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Woolie Wool posted:

The unmoderated hivemind nature of *chan type sites causes the groups with the largest social capital to easily dominate the conversation due to their outsized influence and weight of social consensus, the real outcasts are forced out, the bros assume control of the hivemind, and the community becomes one with the Brog Collective.

Hmm, how awful. Good thing that would never happen here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ponsonby Britt posted:

How do you explain fanfiction then? People back in the 1970s were rewriting Star Trek to be about a romance between Kirk and Spock. I don't think that was Paramount imposing its marketing plan from the outside. And fastforward to today, when fanfiction is actively driving corporate product - that seems like the opposite of what you're describing. If nerd culture is all just top-down marketing, then where did this come from?

I also think that nerd culture's marginal status sometimes cuts in favor of its capacity for progress. Cultural gatekeepers can control the commanding heights of the media landscape, but they can't control (or don't bother to notice) the margins, so marginalized groups can use those spaces to push the broader culture in a progressive direction. The first interracial kiss on TV wasn't on The Tonight Show, or Mary Tyler Moore, or Gunsmoke, or Perry Mason. It was on the definitional "nerd culture" show. And there are other examples - Delany, le Guin, Iain Banks, Paul Verhoeven, Joss Whedon, Alan Moore, Octavia Butler... Progress is baked into nerd DNA just as surely as reaction is.

Was I Love Lucy really the definitional "nerd culture" show? Because I'm pretty sure that it was popular with everyone.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Merdifex posted:

And they do, /v/ and it's diaspora became the bastion for anti-feminism and reactionary beliefs within the context of gamers and the games industry. And the havoc they've wrought doesn't need to be mentioned.

You say that like its a bad thing? Their free culture is more vibrant and alive than SA's, and as a consequence is now a brighter light for the internet and larger producer of content. Many very funny people I run into in other places online will say that they used to be goons or used to read the front page but stopped because of the bullshit. Since SA is a place which seems to poo poo on "out there" stuff people with interesting things to say go to other places to say them.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Merdifex posted:

It is quite a bad thing. Defining a community by it's output of memes is pointless when you don't even consider the cultural context which produced said content. 4chan being a crucible of bigotry and self-loathing cannot be ignored.

The "OC" argument is also a bullshit justification bigots make for keeping 4chan terrible. But I don't think the reprehensible morality of 4chan is what produces the content.

I think the content comes from the anonymity. Without a name the worst you can do, when you try something out, is fail at it. On SA people will follow you around dragging it up or give you a BRCT or just get real creepy about it.* So 4chan gets more content and most of it is worthless and forgotten within a day but enough lives on that it dwarfs SA's stuff. I've been part of small traditional (so SA-like rather than 4chan-like) forums before that have been amazing- you could post basically whatever you wanted there as long as it was within the bounds of the discussion and you wouldn't get poo poo. People might argue or downvote but ultimately discussion was judged by other members based on the merit of the posts rather than who was part of the in crowd or what other people were saying about it. These forums all lost that aspect as they grew and louder, less talented members moved in and started basing things on people's reputations rather than on what was actually being posted. I think the chans get around that with anonymity, you can't form cults of personality or hate a post based solely on who wrote it because you can't tell who the other users are from thread to thread.

*Seriously, SA is far creepier to individuals than 4chan is because channers are typically at least funny about it. Compare something like 4chan loving with Ben Garrison to Dubie's Doghouse. With Ben there's him making unintentionally funny legal threats, his continued reaction to obvious photoshops and more, with Dubie its what, him buying an oven fan?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nintendo Kid posted:

If being made fun of hurts your feelings so much why are you still here? You a masochist or something?

I dunno, why are you here fishmech? The whole loving place hates you.

Seriously, you literally made the list not once but twice. Your name is a verb used to describe the negative practice of actually responding to the poo poo that comes out of your keyboard.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think its worse for a community to have its own members shamed like that. Having things done to outsiders does not affect the community in a negative way. Thats the difference, since 4chan usually pisses out of its tent people inside feel safe to try new ideas. Since SA pisses on its own members they don't.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Woolie Wool posted:

So it's OK to ruin the lives of people outside the community who speak up against its awful behavior but it's deplorable to merely make fun of someone who acts like a jackass inside the community?

Our discussion was on why 4chan produces more, and better content. Meriflex said that he didn't think that the "reprehensible morality" of 4chan is what made it so good at producing content. I expanded on that by saying that the anonymity was what made it so good. Then went on to say that small forums with user names and post counts and such can get around that but after a certain point they are no longer able to.

But if you want to talk about ruining lives... Do you think its OK to ruin people's lives with stuff like this or the lady who lost her job because she made that AIDS joke a few years ago? Because the way a lot of people on SA post all of that is acceptable, as long as its going after targets or behaviors they don't like. Normally when I post this here someone will reply with something to the effect of, "ruining lives is good, when people who are racists/homophobes/MRAs/whatever are the ones being ruined." Nobody ever calls that person out. Its all two sides of the same coin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Crowsbeak posted:

Was Ben Garrison the Ron Paul Fanboy who had all of his cartoons turned into nazi propaganda?

Yes. Latest is channers spamming Fox News coverage of the Baltimore riots with stuff about him and the news anchors trying to figure it out on air with mentions about him being some sort of anti-semitic cartoonist.

• Locked thread