Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BigRed0427 posted:

On that note, do you think the people that eventually left chan boards just moved on to Reddit?

Reddit is a successor to Digg (more or less the exact same format) and that's about the same age as 4chan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WitchFetish posted:

Lotsa pretentious posts itt when the truth is that "chan culture" is inherently crass and stupidly contrarian against what is perceived as "the normies". Before 2008, the "normies" were the neocons, and chan culture was definitely more leftist (albeit in a retarded and extremist way).

I don't think appending "fag" to the end of each noun was really more leftist than the status quo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sharkie posted:

However I don't think it's a totally sufficient explanation for, say, the virulent racism.

Pretty similar to any other group's reason for virulent racism. The one exception (at least until recently) is that internet users were typically wealthier on average (because computers were expensive) so the "took our jobs" motivation was usually absent.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

quite the fucker posted:

a lot of nerds are super liberal though

Liberals are frequently nice until you challenge their own preconceptions, then they turn nasty.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Freakazoid_ posted:

I hate that we're using old usenet discussions to paint a history of nerds being bad, because internet use wasn't even a common thing among nerds until the turn of the century. We're leaving out the nerds who didn't or couldn't have a voice on the internet somewhere and I'd like to think they were much better adjusted, especially since I hung out with a lot of them and I never once picked up on any racism, homophobia or any other bad social behavior. Maybe a bit of sexism, which got corrected.

Why can't we just accept that this is maybe a new problem that's a little harder to figure out than just repainting the past?

It's highly likely that they were racist and sexist because America in general was highly racist and sexist 20-ish years ago.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Effectronica posted:

In reality, a good survey would probably show nerds as roughly representative of society, with variations depending on the particulars.

I think everyone agrees that nerds would be roughly representative of the social groups they come from. I think people would disagree that nerds are representative of society since (at least historically) they are predominantly white men.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Effectronica posted:

Nerdy cultural products were and are generally cheap and widely available- the pulps, B movies, paperbacks, comics- so I doubt that even in the 1930s that nerds were so predominantly white men as people assume. Organized nerddom, yes until recently, but even still, less than people assume.

The 1920s United States was extremely white and most of those attracted extremely male audiences, so I'd say that's a fair assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SunAndSpring posted:

It's a pretty interesting topic. I've noticed that posters on 4chan get really testy when someone breaks anonymity in some way. People who use tripcodes to give themselves a name are disliked, announcing you're a girl or a minority of some kind when it's not relevant is met with derision, and so on. It does bring a sense of informality and equality that not many sites have when everything is going pretty well (no one is trolling and trying to piss certain groups off); your personal social status, whether you're well-off or poor, male or female, majority or minority, or whatever does not matter, only what you post. Granted, it falls apart once any sort of politics is mentioned, but it's pretty neat to post on even footing with others. No need for putting on a facade and trying to act like someone you aren't.

Of course the counterpoint to this is that "white male" is the default.

• Locked thread