Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Let's stop calling it "nerd culture"; defining your identity by what you consume is not culture. Everything they adhere was cooked up to fall within defined age/sex/disposable income/distribution region parameters assembled with ISO9000 compliance to Six Sigma standards 25 years ago by some snake in a suit so he could hit his quarterly bonus metrics. Any shared "language" is them referencing a consumed product because they have been marketed that referencing the familiar with a twist is the same as humor. Their "shared priorities" are consuming the products set to be rolled out next quarter. Their "common knowledge" is a series of iterative trivia about products they have consumed. This is not a culture, this is a market segment.

And "ironic racism" that unironically uses Nazi rhetoric is just racism.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

4chan, reddit, and the like are all just festering shitpiles and their problems stem from the lack of moderation and the inability/unwillingness to hold individual people accountable for what they say and do.

"Give a man a mask, and he will show you his true face" - Oscar Wilde

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Cakebaker posted:

This kinda amounts to saying there is no such thing as sports culture in the modern day, which is massively absurd. Of course any intimate enough connection between large groups of people and their shared interests turns into a culture, no matter whether someone calculatedly makes bank on them or not.
No, it doesn't. Sports culture is organic, it grows, creates, and reshapes, and has evolved over thousands of years. It has laws and social structures. Changes to it come from the interactions of those within it. "Nerd culture" doesn't, the new things are handed to it from the outside, with the outside selling them on what their new direction will be. It isn't people developing a way it interact, it is their way of interacting being marketed to them. There is no law of social structure, a key part of this is that there is no method to clamp down on a misbehaving member - that's a result of the fact that the structure comes from the outside. It is a consumer demographic. More than that, "nerd culture" is aggressively, violently hostile to any attempt to do anything new coming from within it. The whole reason we are talking about it is because when some of the members of it started to interact in new ways, like acknowledging that they were anything but straight white males, they started getting rape threats, death threats, and attempts on their lives.

• Locked thread