Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Fried Chicken posted:

No, it doesn't. Sports culture is organic, it grows, creates, and reshapes, and has evolved over thousands of years. It has laws and social structures. Changes to it come from the interactions of those within it. "Nerd culture" doesn't, the new things are handed to it from the outside, with the outside selling them on what their new direction will be. It isn't people developing a way it interact, it is their way of interacting being marketed to them.

I'm going to leave aside your rather ahistorical and ignorant claim that sports culture is the product of "thousands of years" of "evolution", because it's irrelevant to this thread. (Didn't D&D have a sports thread at one point?)

You sound exactly like Adorno complaining in the 1950s that all culture has become a product.

I'm not sure what precisely your reference point is, but I'll supply one. In the city I was living in until last month, all of my old high school friends definitely had their nerd culture handed to them as a commercial production. The entire scope of their ordinary conversation runs from Mario Party, to Minecraft, to Adventure Time, to anime, to memes. I had dinner and beers with them many times after graduating college and the conversation always went around like this in circles. It was like listening to and participating in a live 4chan thread, minus the bigotry. But yet, they're still functioning adults; two have highly paid jobs. What they have is still a culture, because it's a common knowledge of (mass-produced, mediocre) arts and a common (ever so autistic and dispassionate) emotional vocabulary. You don't have to be creating the culture yourself to participate in it.

Most likely you have a legitimate point to make, just as Adorno definitely had one. But that doesn't mean you can deny that nerd culture is a culture.

Nagato fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread