Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Free speech arguments are 90% of the time a matter of whether you'd like your opinions suppressed by officialdom or by the weight of public opinion. Libertarian types tend to gravitate toward the latter. But genuine efforts at free speech (even leaving out outliers) are pretty rare. It's arguable how much you really want it in any case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cliff Racer posted:

I dunno, why are you here fishmech? The whole loving place hates you.

Seriously, you literally made the list not once but twice. Your name is a verb used to describe the negative practice of actually responding to the poo poo that comes out of your keyboard.

You seem, er, normal.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
People who say "nerds are" almost always have a political position they're making. "Nerds are terrible" is generally the statement of a self-denying nerd, or a minority who feels nerd status is a product of the majority. "Nerds are great" from a self-aggrandizing nerd, etc.

In reality, a good survey would probably show nerds as roughly representative of society, with variations depending on the particulars.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

computer parts posted:

I think everyone agrees that nerds would be roughly representative of the social groups they come from. I think people would disagree that nerds are representative of society since (at least historically) they are predominantly white men.

Nerdy cultural products were and are generally cheap and widely available- the pulps, B movies, paperbacks, comics- so I doubt that even in the 1930s that nerds were so predominantly white men as people assume. Organized nerddom, yes until recently, but even still, less than people assume.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

computer parts posted:

The 1920s United States was extremely white and most of those attracted extremely male audiences, so I'd say that's a fair assumption.

You got any statistical data? Because anecdotal evidence from reminisces of pulp authors and the letters pages of old comics suggest substantial numbers of women read them, and other anecdotes suggest racial diversity as well

• Locked thread