Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Anyway, the place is more politically varied than you'd expect, much like how we're more politically varied than the "SJW-run Hellhole" stereotype that 4chan and some subreddits ascribe to SA.

Sort of. If you collect people on /soc/ to talk to they are usually quite varied. /lgbt/ is like... unusually conservative for an LGBT board, but that isn't saying too much. The interest boards skew towards the demographic they represent.

Anyone who thinks /pol/ and /r9k/ is mostly just jokes and irony is deluding themselves though. I know several /pol/ posters in both real life and as long-term internet acquaintances and those are absolutely their real views. Had a Swedish fascist (member of the SVP which just disbanded :getin:, not the slightly less fascist Sweden Democrats), far-right Italians, Australians, and Greeks, and I know IRL an American with a completely crazy mixture of fascism and libertarianism as his philosophy. Most fun time with him I've had was trying to explain Nigel Farage's comment that Indians have more in common with Brits than Eastern Europeans do (he's always banging on about his Polish heritage). /r9k/ has some humorous self-awareness with their tendies meme and such, there is a sense that the misogynistic posts there are the product of frustration about not getting laid, but they have a lot of crossover.

Calling SA a "SJW-run hellhole" is dumb mostly because there is no board that unironically supports tumblr-style social justice and any board other than DnD dislikes putting self-righteousness above comedy, even if it leans slightly left. However I think it's completely fair to say that SA leans left and DnD is far-left.

Ed:

SunAndSpring posted:

can't just off-handedly mention "I'm a lady"

What's interesting about this is that it creates a self-fulfilling prophecy in their minds. If you make a funny post as a woman on 4chan, everybody will assume you are a man. If you put something in the post to indicate you're a woman, suddenly it's "TYPICAL WOMAN ALWAYS HAS TO MENTION SHE'S A WOMAN." If you assume everyone's a man unless proven otherwise then in your mind the funny posts are all by men and the shitposts are usually by women. Really this is an issue with the internet in general but it's especially pronounced in places with complete anonymity.

If there was actually some way to be "anonymous" all the time, IRL and on the internet- no point where suddenly I have to reveal myself as belonging to a social category to continue my relations with people-I would be fine with it. There wouldn't really be any point in identifying as a woman if that was a social reality, unless you wanted to become part of a sexualized caste; for all intents and purposes, you would be the same as anybody else who is anonymous. It's just not possible to continue that outside of such a space, and I would contend it actually makes social relations outside of the space worse because of the assumptions mentioned above.

Weldon Pemberton fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread