Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Cliff Racer posted:

I think the content comes from the anonymity. Without a name the worst you can do, when you try something out, is fail at it. On SA people will follow you around dragging it up or give you a BRCT or just get real creepy about it.* So 4chan gets more content and most of it is worthless and forgotten within a day but enough lives on that it dwarfs SA's stuff. I've been part of small traditional (so SA-like rather than 4chan-like) forums before that have been amazing- you could post basically whatever you wanted there as long as it was within the bounds of the discussion and you wouldn't get poo poo. People might argue or downvote but ultimately discussion was judged by other members based on the merit of the posts rather than who was part of the in crowd or what other people were saying about it. These forums all lost that aspect as they grew and louder, less talented members moved in and started basing things on people's reputations rather than on what was actually being posted. I think the chans get around that with anonymity, you can't form cults of personality or hate a post based solely on who wrote it because you can't tell who the other users are from thread to thread.

*Seriously, SA is far creepier to individuals than 4chan is because channers are typically at least funny about it. Compare something like 4chan loving with Ben Garrison to Dubie's Doghouse. With Ben there's him making unintentionally funny legal threats, his continued reaction to obvious photoshops and more, with Dubie its what, him buying an oven fan?

Was Ben Garrison the Ron Paul Fanboy who had all of his cartoons turned into nazi propaganda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Cliff Racer posted:

Yes. Latest is channers spamming Fox News coverage of the Baltimore riots with stuff about him and the news anchors trying to figure it out on air with mentions about him being some sort of anti-semitic cartoonist.

Thats kind of lovely, I mean to be turned into some sort of nazi by a bunch of assholes. And actually have it so that when I Google Ben garrison I see pictures of him with a swastika lined up with his photo must make his life hell.

• Locked thread