Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Woolie Wool posted:

I thought he was one of the least objectionable nerds (even if he's completely maladjusted and lacking in self-awareness), since as far as I understand he's quite far left economically but that...

...that's really bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
chan culture really doesn't have much to do with nerdiness. both are indicators of social awkwardness but i think this connection comes from latent ideas that obscure internet poo poo must be the domain of nerds who know how computers work, but the internet is so pervasive in youth culture now that really it's just a matter of time before something like chan pops up in order to empower a generation of 21st century teenage shitheads

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cakebaker posted:

Chan culture appears to be more stagnant if not devolving. Is that because their prolific users are ever fresh batches of 15yolds, or is turnover in fact not as high as you'd think and the users just stay that age mentally?

there's really no way of knowing, but i would assume it has to do with novelty

like the first dozen times you get involved in some ridiculous internet phenomenon it's fun and all but over time as you age you (ideally) get bored with it. i've been a goon for like 12 years now and i barely check any forum other than this one, and i only keep up with a handful of threads, because as i age my time is more valuable and i'm just not as entertained or informed by the internet as i used to be

chan culture is really driven by the combination of teens and young adults with a large amount of time on their hands, a low threshold for amusement, a lot of steam to blow, and a lack of face-to-face social opportunity for whatever reason (social awkwardness, social rejection, geographic isolation, personality disorder, misanthropy, etc.)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Tell me more about how these other forums are so much shittier than this forum and literally responsible for the world's wrongs :allears:

You guys have your tongues so far up each others asses, I am amazed that you can hiccup without inhaling a length of colon.

where did you go wrong in life to feel personally attacked when people talk about the negative aspects of a website

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah, that's a good read. you may not be the most athletic dude irl, or the one the ladies swoon over, but by god online you're the biggest dude on the block

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SunAndSpring posted:

Why bother trying to ascribe a political status to imageboards where anyone can post anonymously? Hell, I don't even do it here where everyone's got a name.

these places can serve as platforms to organize political speech and action, as well as harboring a certain branch of thought. as much as any internet community may describe itself as a place where free speech is valued, actually supporting free speech requires moderation and maintenance lest unpopular minority views be drowned out - one way something awful accomplishes this is by gating certain opinions into subforums. GIP was created partially because of long, tedious, angry flamewars in d&d between anti- and pro- iraq war opinions

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SunAndSpring posted:

It's interesting to hear the point of "Free speech requires moderation so that the less popular viewpoints can have their time to shine." The 4chan view of free speech, from what I've seen, seems to be "Free speech needs to be unmoderated so that no one can dictate the flow of it."

no one being a single vested authority. the bounds of acceptable speech is always controlled by the participants in one form or another, even if it's just one person leveraging their ability to be loud, prolific, and obnoxious

i think even reaching for some ideal of free speech is itself fallacious, as what makes speech 'free' is going to differ as a matter of taste

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 14, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
this could be an interesting discussion about how internet communities police themselves if people would stop getting personally offended when 4chan's honor is questioned

it's kind of evident there's something to be said about how anonymous boards attract and retain more broken brained people simply based on above mentioned phenomenon, unfolding right now

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SunAndSpring posted:

I just think people here exaggerate a lot about sites they don't post on. Not really mad, though.

ok, thanks for clarifying that you personally are experiencing no negative emotions because of this thread. there are however some people who are provoked enough by this thread to testily register their dislike for the argument, which itself is indicative of a defensive mindset - and this reaction is germane to the topic that anonymous boards do perhaps serve as an anti-hugbox and a launchpad for aggressive and anti-social speech

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SunAndSpring posted:

It's a pretty interesting topic. I've noticed that posters on 4chan get really testy when someone breaks anonymity in some way. People who use tripcodes to give themselves a name are disliked, announcing you're a girl or a minority of some kind when it's not relevant is met with derision, and so on. It does bring a sense of informality and equality that not many sites have when everything is going pretty well (no one is trolling and trying to piss certain groups off); your personal social status, whether you're well-off or poor, male or female, majority or minority, or whatever does not matter, only what you post. Granted, it falls apart once any sort of politics is mentioned, but it's pretty neat to post on even footing with others. No need for putting on a facade and trying to act like someone you aren't.

so long as you act and post like a nerdy white guy. it sanitizes personal experiences because then anyone can dismiss anything you have to say with the accusation that you're a basement dwelling suburban shutin, same as everyone else. anonymity forces a certain conformity by removing any personal context, which can be good in some degree but i think also limits the possibility of any usefuld discussion

which is my big issue with the supposed free speech of image boards, you're totally free to say whatever you want about certain topics in a certain way

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 15, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SunAndSpring posted:

Yeah, it's what I said. Bringing up anything political like race relations, gender, etc. breaks the illusion because, obviously, not everybody fits in the typical 4chan poster archetype. Still, it's pretty nice when it works.

yeah, but how is it really free speech if you're only allowed to agree with the majority opinion?

SunAndSpring posted:

I do wonder what would alleviate that problem without flat-out removing anonymity altogether.

it's not really a problem, so long as we're not calling this kind of discussion equal or free

Tin Soldier posted:

Every other board on the internet is laughing at you dorks right now.

is this... supposed to be a bad thing? am i supposed to feel shame?

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 15, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

Unless SunAndSpring is in fact your full legal name I don't really see how this board isn't really anonymous as well. Hell it's long standing knowledge here that many people have multiple accounts or share accounts with each other.

i'd say sa is pseudononymous, in that ideally none of us post explicitly identifiable information but the paywall and general culture encourages or facilitates establishing a brand that may persist between accounts (you are an example of this) that allows for a general identification of other posters as individuals and their posting style, arguments, general attributes etc. simply having a fixed account allows for a post history, punishment history, and so on that you won't get in a truly anonymous board like a typical chan setup

for example if you started talking about how trains are awful i would assume that you are being facetious for some purpose, this pseudononymity carries context that changes the way discussions are held

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SunAndSpring posted:

To be honest, I'm beginning to think even the whole "equal footing" thing I was talking about doesn't really work. People are still jockeying for the attention and adulation you get for saying "right" opinions there, it's just usually tied to one thread than an entire posting history. Maybe I've just got an idealized concept of what I want anonymous posting to be.

your equal footing concept kind of works if we are looking only at the sheer content of people's posts, but i don't think that sort of context-free reading is possible given that people will self select for certain kinds of discussion and content simply by choosing to browse one site or another

for example i used to just browse imgur as a big random pics thread but i got annoyed by both useless content like "here's my new puppy!" and unpopular opinion bird that's just restating boring reactionary tripe about how minorities just need to get jobs. that kind of content is truly anonymous to me because i never cared at all who posted it or who was voting on it, but the content itself caused me to stop using the site for anything but free image hosting

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tezzor posted:

It's strange that a number of people who never post in D&D are here to post in this thread purely as a coincidence after it was linked at the white supremacist stalker offsite

kind of a post hoc ergo propter, due to crossover every chan or offsite was going to whine about this thread while posturing about how little they care and due to the subject matter a number of lurkers would be triggered into defensive poo poo and runs no matter what

i mean the main stalker offsite has nothing better to do than obsess over what people post here in the name of lulz or whatever, of course they would make a thread about this thread that's like a given. i'd bet money someone will quote this post and talk about what a loser i am for caring, and me even saying that would trigger some other weird feedback loop of proving what a carefag i am for attempting to be meta about something so inconsequential, and so on

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

site posted:

I don't visit 4chan so I don't have anything to add, but you got FYAD trolling a d&d thread so good job op

yes, what an unprecedented state of affairs

• Locked thread