Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ultimately GG has little to do with /v/ and 4chan in general anymore do to the aforementioned dislike on 4chan for things deemed "popular" after GG was spammed into the ground on /v/, bringing it up normally will result in people mocking the poster as the community is quite collectively tired of it.

What 4chan cares most about is entertainment; even /pol/ adores leftists when they win because of the circus of right wing tears that result after said leftist victory. /v/ loves the Doritos pope even though he represents everything terrible and corrupt about the video game industry because the pope is funny to laugh at. 4chan doesn't care if your liberal or conservative; if they think they can make fun of you and get a laugh out of it they will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you see a traditional game/warhammer40k/dwarf fortress meme there is a 99% chance it came from /tg/, similarly if you see a meme about something television or movie related it probably came from /tv/.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Merdifex posted:

All the shitpost memes you see on facebook, twitter, youtube, and such most likely come from /s4s/, /b/, or even /v/

eh, /v/ is more known for the base of reactionary internet stuff like the push back against paid mods for steam then it is for "memes", pretty on point with /s4s/ and /b/ tho.

SunAndSpring posted:

I wish /tg/ would stop making Quest threads. They aren't good.

:agreed:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Merdifex posted:

has become much bigger than /v/ itself

This is par for the course for basically everything that happens on 4chan.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Merdifex posted:

I guess, the production of such memes has literally shifted to facebook and twitter. I wonder if these content creators still have any connection to 4chan.

Baneposting and other things are every were and they all come from 4chan, it's still very much the big content producer of the internet.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the reason 4chan is looked down upon on SA as it was literally created to be the exact opposite of SA in every way. The site itself is a reaction to the popularity of named account forums that were popular in the 2000's.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nintendo Kid posted:

No, moot created it because he wanted an English language 2chan of his own to post about anime on. I realize you were like 7 at the time, but some of us were actually there with him when it started and frankly he wasn't even the first, he was just marginally more competent and picked a better domain name than a lot of others.

Back in the day being able to easily host images right with a post, for free? That was a huge thing especially with image uploading sites being often unreliable and cumbersome.

Part of the appeal of 2chan was anonymity. And while I might not have been around at the time I know enough that name-account sites like SA were super popular, and also had a base of users who didn't like it. You can't really ignore the founding of 4chan without looking at the context on which it was made.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sharkie posted:

Personally I look down on places full of neo-nazis and misogynists but I can only speak for myself. And yes, yes, SA has lovely people on it but at least there's accountability and saying it's anywhere as bad as most chans is silly.

It's not as bad here as we police those kinds of people out of the community, on 4chan they just don't give a poo poo. The reason 4chan is so harmful is because it could not give a single poo poo about anyone. You know that gamer terrorist episode from the Special Victims unit? /v/ loves it specifically because it gives /v/ attention and they couldn't care less about people attacking them, the circus and drama is what they desire, they don't care about the animals or people involved in making it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

CommieGIR posted:

GBS is slowly devolving into a poo poo storm of 4chan like materiel.

The amount of cross over between SA and 4chan has always been pretty big, funny photoshop things on GBS will normally end up on 4chan in less than a few hours.

• Locked thread