Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

temple posted:

I think GamerGate ruined something that should have been addressed which is most people want to identify as something but they don't learn about it. When people say "Girls aren't gamers", there is sexism in it however, there are many people (regardless of sex) who identify as gamers but only play 2-3 games tops. There are people who love the Marvel Universe movies and never read a comic. People that love Star Wars and never read the books. They aren't posers as much as in denial about their station as regular mundane media consumers. Calling people casual internet users sounds like their parents so they are nerds now to differentiate. I'm skeptical of nerd culture and fandoms because it seems like marketing teams have integrated sites like reddit and imgur into their promotion strategies.

What, functionally, is the difference between "mundane media consumers" and someone who delves more deeply into the medium in question? We're all "regular mundane media consumers," regardless of whether we're just watching Scandal or listening to Doctor Who audio dramas. All of it is "mundane media." What "should have been addressed" about this supposed menace?

As bad as 8chan is, the offsite SA reject Nazi forum is a million times worse. GBS is also pretty bad these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

temple posted:

People who occasionally or shallowly engage media and have a lot of opinions vs someone who devotes time/money/personal effort in their particular fandom.

It sort of depends on what you mean by "shallowly engage." You can watch the Star Wars movies, never engage with any of the other media associated with the franchise, and still have well-formed opinions about they succeed as entertainment, what the factors are the lead to their success, etc.

You can also read all of the comic books, novels, and buy all the merchandise, and never get past engaging with the media on a shallow level, never assessing it critically, and forever thinking of the characters more a pretend friends than as narrative devices, obsessing over "canon" and everything else in the "fandom."

The first thing is not at all worth caring about as a "problem," and it doesn't matter if that person who has only seen the movies wants to call him/herself a "fan" or a "Star Wars person" or whatever. "Fake geekhood" is not a real problem. The actions taken by people who perceive others to be "fake geeks," on the other hand, is.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

temple posted:

True blue fans or nerds are more inclusive IMO and the idea that gamers hate girls is baffling to me. A girl gamer is the ultimate fantasy for nerds or gamers.

How did you type that second sentence without seeing the answer to the first one encoded in it?

I really have to disagree with you that it is those who casually engage with a hobby who have the tendency to manifest the uglier qualities of the community. I have never seen any evidence to that effect. There is nothing about engaging with something to the point of obsession that would correlate with being progressive about it, nor is there anything about being devoted to a piece of media that would correlate with engaging with it critically, rather than as a security blanket.

I distinctly reject the idea that there is a large group of people who engage with a hobby casually purely to pretend they are a part of the fanbase. There is plenty of forced grouping that is easier and provides better rewards, socially. As to the first thing, falling in love with a thing and then drifting away from it, that is not being a "fake geek," it's having opinions about media that evolve over time, something any healthy person must do.

"Fake geekhood" is not a real problem and it never will be. lovely bigots who wield privilege as a gateway to niche hobbies definitely are a problem, and plenty of them engage with said hobbies on more than a surface level.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 15, 2015

• Locked thread