Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

-When does ironic racism become racism
It does not become racism, it is racism. The "irony" is a cop-out. Even a genuine attempt at irony would be a catastrophic failure 99% of the time because only a tiny minority of people on the internet are genuinely consistently funny (case in point: GBS).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I feel like the problems with nerd culture have not at all gotten worse, but have rather become more visible. People weren't paying attention, now they are. The nerds now realize society is watching and judging them (and their behavior is less acceptable among the mainstream), they feel threatened and lash out. I remember when homophobia on most boards was much, much more pervasive than it is now, it was encouraged in seemingly every internet community from the administrators on down. The fury of nerds lashing out against the "SJWs" is a sign of weakness, not of strength.

icantfindaname posted:

The answer to all these questions is basically the same and is that nerds are fundamentally reactionaries, reacting to the fact that nobody but them gives a poo poo about their cherished pieces of media. Much the same way that social conservatives are fighting to preserve the patriarchal, white supremacist world they love so much, nerds fight to preserve the children's media landscape of when they were 12 years old, forever.

Someone get Corey Robin to write a book on it.

E: You know, this sort of thing happens with basically everyone, but it seems like most late 20- and 30-somethings realize that their favorite music will never be back in fashion and the drat kids will never get off their lawn and just stop giving a poo poo that their tastes are old-fashioned. But it seems like for a nerd to admit he's old-fashioned is a display of shame deserving of ritual suicide.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 14, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Gamer culture was 10-15 years ago, I remember that much. It was just not talked about because it was an extremely solid consensus that hardly anyone dared challenge. The misogyny, racism, homophobia, masculinity policing, etc. were brutal, it was just more subtle because the bigots felt more secure in their bigotry.

The metal community seems much the same way. Go look through early metal-archives posts for 2004 and see how often people said words like "friend of the family" or talked about "NS" music with no indication that it was somehow wrong to be a Nazi. That sort of behavior is no longer accepted there.

Party Plane Jones posted:

8chan split from 4chan because 4chan finally amended it's TOS to actually have DMCA provisions during the whole celebrity pictures leak instead of relying on whatever would have gotten DMCA'd being kicked off their servers within an hour of posting due to the high volume.

Of course they would only make a tiny concession to other people's rights when they ended up pissing off people with the financial and legal resources to rake them over the coals in court.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 14, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

Richard Stallman and the other open source pioneers are all gross creeps and bigots, Stallman in particular has essays on his personal site to this day defending sex with children if they consent to it.

I thought he was one of the least objectionable nerds (even if he's completely maladjusted and lacking in self-awareness), since as far as I understand he's quite far left economically but that...

...that's really bad.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Well we already knew children are marginally safer by the fact that he's so physically repulsive and his habits are so awful that no child could be convinced to have sex with him.

Could you imagine the smell :barf:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 14, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

"Give a man a mask, and he will show you his true face" - Oscar Wilde

"Character is what you are in the dark." --Dwight L. Moody

4chan is the white male bourgeoisie in the dark.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cakebaker posted:

Basically - what is up with those people and why didn't they become massive hipsters like the rest of us? The reactionary angle probably explains it quite well I guess but there has to be more to it...

Hipsters and nerds are two sides of the same coin. They're both driven by a peculiar mix of consumerism and insecurity.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

chan culture is really driven by the combination of teens and young adults with a large amount of time on their hands, a low threshold for amusement, a lot of steam to blow, and a lack of face-to-face social opportunity for whatever reason (social awkwardness, social rejection, geographic isolation, personality disorder, misanthropy, etc.)

Blowing steam does not relieve angry emotions but rather intensifies and reinforces them, it makes anger rewarding and sets up a positive feedback loop of vitriol.

icantfindaname posted:

Consciously self-identified nerdiness is a sort of identity politics thing, which is rallied around in a right wing reactionary sense. Simply consuming non-mainstream media doesn't make you a nerd, the self-identification is the key step. I almost feel like hipster/alternative/twee subculture and grognard/4chan culture are two sides of the same coin, one being a leftist manifestation and the other a rightist

Why do the rightists have to get all the good music?

And at least in music it didn't seem to be that way, metal was leftist as gently caress in the late 1980s but...

...metal was cool in the 1980s...

...were '80s thrashers ranting about military adventurism and civil rights violations actually the hipsters of the Reagan years? :ohdear:

...and even worse...

...is them leaving it behind why so much of it turned to poo poo around 1991-93? :negative:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 14, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Bullfrog posted:

4chan and its spin-off sites are a sort of imagined outcast paradise. People (mostly young boys/men) who feel different see it as an edgy "alternative" hangout, safe from their parents and the kids at school.

The posts are usually short, easily digested. The images provide constant visual stimulation. These factors, combined with the fast rate of submitted posts, make it very easy to just keep hitting F5 and waste hours. You see an enormous amount of content just scrolling, viewing various threads and boards. Boards you're interested in never seem to run out of new discussion. And the darker stuff is either avoided, or might give you a risk-free voyeuristic buzz -- you're anonymous, who really knows the terrible stuff you're seeing here? Over time, the enormous mix of content you've seen makes you feel familiar with the site. Eventually, you start posting, confident that you know your way around.

At this point, I think two major psychological factors come into play: mob-mentality, and the apparent disconnection between your internet culture and reality.

The other interesting question about chan culture is how it came to be the playground of young boys/men (who are usually white).
What about the idea of 4chan appealed to that demographic? Off the top of my head, I think that it's mostly because 4chan was intertwined with nerd culture, which was already heavily balanced towards young white guys.

The unmoderated hivemind nature of *chan type sites causes the groups with the largest social capital to easily dominate the conversation due to their outsized influence and weight of social consensus, the real outcasts are forced out, the bros assume control of the hivemind, and the community becomes one with the Brog Collective.

I know nothing of 4chan's Japanese ancestor 2ch but considering that it's more mainstream it's probably much the same set of privileged ethnic majority (in this case Japanese) males with high incomes, only this case with a softer, mass-society sort of oppression.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

WitchFetish posted:

2016 and the inevitable triumph of the GOP

Hillary Clinton has already won the 2016 election.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I personally think being below average in the production of horrendous garbage is something to strive for.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

I think the content comes from the anonymity. Without a name the worst you can do, when you try something out, is fail at it. On SA people will follow you around dragging it up or give you a BRCT or just get real creepy about it.* So 4chan gets more content and most of it is worthless and forgotten within a day but enough lives on that it dwarfs SA's stuff. I've been part of small traditional (so SA-like rather than 4chan-like) forums before that have been amazing- you could post basically whatever you wanted there as long as it was within the bounds of the discussion and you wouldn't get poo poo. People might argue or downvote but ultimately discussion was judged by other members based on the merit of the posts rather than who was part of the in crowd or what other people were saying about it. These forums all lost that aspect as they grew and louder, less talented members moved in and started basing things on people's reputations rather than on what was actually being posted. I think the chans get around that with anonymity, you can't form cults of personality or hate a post based solely on who wrote it because you can't tell who the other users are from thread to thread.

*Seriously, SA is far creepier to individuals than 4chan is because channers are typically at least funny about it. Compare something like 4chan loving with Ben Garrison to Dubie's Doghouse. With Ben there's him making unintentionally funny legal threats, his continued reaction to obvious photoshops and more, with Dubie its what, him buying an oven fan?

You actually think getting a BRCT is worse than being doxed, or having the police called on you on false allegations, or having naked pictures of you sent to your family? Seriously?

You're tempting me to drop :10bux: to buy you one right now, you whiny baby.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 15, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

I think its worse for a community to have its own members shamed like that. Having things done to outsiders does not affect the community in a negative way. Thats the difference, since 4chan usually pisses out of its tent people inside feel safe to try new ideas. Since SA pisses on its own members they don't.

So it's OK to ruin the lives of people outside the community who speak up against its awful behavior but it's deplorable to merely make fun of someone who acts like a jackass inside the community?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

You can either be horrible to people you are familiar with, or you can be horrible to strangers. There are no other options.

No it's actually a choice between being rude to people you are familiar with and being maliciously, criminally cruel to outsiders.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

Our discussion was on why 4chan produces more, and better content. Meriflex said that he didn't think that the "reprehensible morality" of 4chan is what made it so good at producing content. I expanded on that by saying that the anonymity was what made it so good. Then went on to say that small forums with user names and post counts and such can get around that but after a certain point they are no longer able to.

But if you want to talk about ruining lives... Do you think its OK to ruin people's lives with stuff like this or the lady who lost her job because she made that AIDS joke a few years ago? Because the way a lot of people on SA post all of that is acceptable, as long as its going after targets or behaviors they don't like. Normally when I post this here someone will reply with something to the effect of, "ruining lives is good, when people who are racists/homophobes/MRAs/whatever are the ones being ruined." Nobody ever calls that person out. Its all two sides of the same coin.

So do you think being a horrible bigot who laughs about the deaths of Mexicans and complaining about people being horrible bigots who laugh about the deaths of Mexicans are morally equivalent? Does someone have to strap you to a chair and read you a Herbert Marcuse tract re-written in a third grade level using the same voice that Ringo Starr used to narrate Thomas the Tank Engine?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

blowfish posted:

no, cliff racer's posts in this thread are actually good even if you think his opinions are poo poo

No actually his posts are mostly :qq: aggrieved nerd blubbering with a side of tu quoque and he's probably going to start going on about :siren: CULTURAL MARXISM :siren: any minute.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Merdifex posted:

content creators
You are literally talking about memes being produced by social media as if they're publishing houses. :cripes:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Everblight posted:

My fellow Goons, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Memes forever. We begin bombing in five minutes.

Launch everything, including the cobalt bombs.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

It'd be funny as poo poo if for like 36 hours, with no warning, 4chan activated a filter that banned anyone who typed a common racial slur for like a month.

That would be amazing. You want some lulz? I got your lulz right here, fucker.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

to compete with 4chan on the social media front

Why do it at all?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

gentlemen we cannot allow a posting gap

No, really, who gives a poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

temple posted:

True blue fans or nerds are more inclusive IMO and the idea that gamers hate girls is baffling to me. A girl gamer is the ultimate fantasy for nerds or gamers.

This is fetishism, not inclusion.

Doctor Butts posted:

I used to read GBS a lot because it was cool sometimes. But as nice as the rules being relaxed in 2.0 or whatever helped out a lot, it didn't seem to take a lot of time to devolve into stuff like unironic racism.

2.0 is the worst thing that ever happened to GBS.

• Locked thread