Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kastein posted:

Wow, that looks like a hell of a lot of work you have lined up, but it should be fun.

BTW - rather than using a wire wheel in your hand drill, go to Harbor Freight and get a few packs of 4.5" knotted wire wheels for a 4.5" angle grinder, then get a decent quality 4.5" angle grinder. Rust and paint practically evaporates under them instead of taking actual effort like a drill+wire wheel does.

Keep your tender bits that you want in their OEM configuration (fingers, face, giblets) out of the plane of the wire wheel and wear safety goggles, heavy duty pants/shirt, and welding gloves plus maybe a respirator though. There's no telling what's in that paint and those drums are almost certainly asbestos. And wire wheels on angle grinders like to throw wires - if you're wearing heavy jeans they'll stick in the denim and maybe prod you hard, but if you're wearing shorts, they'll actually stab 1/8" into your leg if they happen to hit you right.

It's still worth the extra suiting up required vs a drill, simply because it does a much better job of cleaning in a tenth the time+effort.

Would a sand/bead blaster be better, or the same, or worse? The base auto shop has a room with that stuff in it I can rent for next to nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Some eye protection is also a good idea. The horror stories I got when I thought I had fiberglass in my eye terrified me. I feel that thin metal would be as bad if not worse due to it rusting and breaking.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, safety glasses/goggles is definitely something you want to be wearing anytime an angle grinder is involved.

I don't know if a blasting setup would be better, I haven't gotten to play with mine yet.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
For smacking serious rust off thicker steel and castings, an air-powered needle gun is the tits. Braaaaaaarp.

A knotted wire wheel on an angle grinder is very good, though it does leave a slightly polished finish and won't get into all the pits. This isn't super important, but for a really good finish to receive paint, I find wire wheel followed up by a final blasting to be well worth a try.

I wouldn't go with just blasting from the get-go, because my experience is that unless you have a full-on industrial setup in terms of air supply, it takes quite a while on "proper" rust.

Note that blasted bare metal is about the single most rustable thing going, so don't leave it any longer than you have to before putting something on it.

Lastly, a shout to using electrolytic de-rusting on things that'll fit in a tub to do so, especially things which are an awkward shape.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

InitialDave posted:

For smacking serious rust off thicker steel and castings, an air-powered needle gun is the tits. Braaaaaaarp.

A knotted wire wheel on an angle grinder is very good, though it does leave a slightly polished finish and won't get into all the pits. This isn't super important, but for a really good finish to receive paint, I find wire wheel followed up by a final blasting to be well worth a try.

I wouldn't go with just blasting from the get-go, because my experience is that unless you have a full-on industrial setup in terms of air supply, it takes quite a while on "proper" rust.

Note that blasted bare metal is about the single most rustable thing going, so don't leave it any longer than you have to before putting something on it.

Lastly, a shout to using electrolytic de-rusting on things that'll fit in a tub to do so, especially things which are an awkward shape.

The rust isn't that serious on this thing. A lot of what you guys see in the pictures is old, caked on red mud over paint.

I'm having excellent results with just degreaser and the pressure washer.

The hubs look ready to paint now. I'm going to wipe'em down with mineral spirits before I prime though.

Note to all you safety conscience dudes: I'm wearing eye protection when using anything powered on this thing. I'm also wearing my walkman (counts as ear protection). And I've got gloves on. :D

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Here's one of the things, cleaned up and ready for paint.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Does that broken stud just need to get pounded out and replaced?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Astonishing Wang posted:

Does that broken stud just need to get pounded out and replaced?

I have no idea how to accomplish this. Or even if it's necessary. :shrug:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's only necessary if you want your wheels secured to the vehicle.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Godholio posted:

It's only necessary if you want your wheels secured to the vehicle.

That sounds like some hippie propaganda to me. :colbert:

Seriously though, how are those things attached? Can I just knock it out? What are they called so I can look it up, or buy a new one?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

That sounds like some hippie propaganda to me. :colbert:

Seriously though, how are those things attached? Can I just knock it out? What are they called so I can look it up, or buy a new one?

It's a wheel stud, and they're pressfit in from the back (if you flip it over you should see the head flush on the other side). They have a splined collar type deal that holds them in there. Get a thick steel punch, your BFH and pound it out from the front/broken side. If you have a press, you can press the new one in if not you can pull it through with the lugnut, stack of washers and a socket/breaker bar. Careful you don't over tighten and snap the new one.

It's quite easy, I did it on my jeep in the parking lot at work. Hardest part will be finding the right stud; once you take out the broken one take everything (including lugnut) into O'Reillys etc and they should be able to match it and send you on your way for $1-2. Grab a few spares while you're at it.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I have one that I need to pound into the tire carrier on my Jeep - good to know I won't need a press!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah they go in real easy. If you make sure to align the splines on the new one with the slight spline pattern on the bore from the old one, it's even easier. Just spin it gently while pulling it gently into place, you'll feel the splines rubbing against each other and can stop turning as it drops into alignment then pull it through with a lugnut and some lovely washers like everyone said.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Okay, I went to autozone today to try and snag a replacement stem for that one that had broken off.

I brought the drum in to the store and the guy asked me what I needed. I showed him the broken stem and said I needed a replacement. He then asked my what size? What length? What's are the threads? I told him I didn't know.

The a-hole then pointed to the shelf containing about a million different stems and said "good luck finding a match" and went back to whatever he was doing on the computer before I walked up.

Here's a brake cylinder I took off today:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Stuff like this might help you find the right studs:

http://walcks4wd.com/hub-bolt-rh-thread.html
"Hub Bolt RH 1/2-20" thread that is used on models with the hub and drum that are pressed together."

Wheel cylinder looks perfectly fine :whitewater:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

spacetoaster posted:

The a-hole then pointed to the shelf containing about a million different stems and said "good luck finding a match" and went back to whatever he was doing on the computer before I walked up.

Damnit Elmnt80

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

Okay, I went to autozone today to try and snag a replacement stem for that one that had broken off.

I brought the drum in to the store and the guy asked me what I needed. I showed him the broken stem and said I needed a replacement. He then asked my what size? What length? What's are the threads? I told him I didn't know.

RockAuto doesn't have '44 covered, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say a '45 CJ2A one might fit. Wagner BD61223. They're less than a dollar so no harm in trying.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

spacetoaster posted:

What the gently caress? That's like the easiest way to find the correct part on one of the most irritating things on a car. Lugnuts, studs, and brakelines are the most irritating to try and match because there's so many.

Bring me a drum or hub, the broken stud, and some whole ones and tell me it's going on a Willys? I will hook you the hell up.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Bucephalus posted:

Damnit Elmnt80

Hey, I was busy looking up kits to bag my avalanche. Gonna lay frame. Anyone know if I can make plastic shoot sparks though?

(What the poo poo man, that is a bad parts store, get a new one. It would literally take that jackass 5 minutes in a decent store to find thread size, length and how big the nurling is and start pulling up options. I'd do it but I'm 99% positive you're not in florida.)

Edit: Some quick googling shows that ken is most likely right and studs from a cj2a will fit.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 6, 2016

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah gently caress that store - when I snapped off a stud doing things at work, I sent out an underling with my broken parts & $10 - the local parthous busted out a digital caliper and took measurements before sending him back with $4 and the right studs. If your local Autozone sucks, try finding a one-off place that supplies local shops. I've also gotten on excellent terms with my local O'Reilly's and they all know me know and are super helpful.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I've found that NAPA tends to have the fewest blank stares, and Autozone the most. Oreilley is somewhere in the middle.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Small town NAPAs are the best because they are staffed by grey beard car wizards who talk poo poo about everything

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

8ender posted:

Small town NAPAs are the best because they are staffed by grey beard car wizards who talk poo poo about everything

Yeah, exactly. And you can just say that you need some random part, and as long as it's for a 30+ year old domestic vehicle (and why would it be anything else??) they'll actually know what you mean and what the part number is off the top of their heads. I haven't gotten that kind of service from any of the other chains.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
It's not just domestics though, the guys at the rural NAPA near me just wandered into the pile of poo poo on shelves and produced a coil for a 1993 BMW 525i like magic a few years ago. If they don't have it the policy is order by 10am, here by 12, otherwise wait till tomorrow.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I find that Oreilly has the best coverage for old/weird/rare cars.

Engine gasket and seal kit for a 1994 Justy? One day out, in the hub warehouse.
CPS for a 1988 Comanche? In stock, come get it.
TPS for same? Also in stock.
Exhaust manifold gasket for the Justy? In stock, come get it.
Exact fit muffler for the Justy? In stock too.

And their prices tend to be within 10-30% of rockauto and their employees reasonably smart and helpful too. If they weren't 12 miles away they would be my first stop for everything, as it is, I go by CAP, they might have it, then NAPA, they're closed because it's not between 1 and 2pm on the alternate wednesdays that they are open, then Advance and they don't have it, then AZ, another CAP, Oreillys, and another Advance are all 1 mile apart in the next town over so I just go down the row till I find what I need.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I can set a replenishing stock order for whatever I want so long as its at a dc (and I think I'll sell it). But its weird that they just have justy parts on a shelf unless its a hub/mini-dc store for your area.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Is nobody else just killing it with these Advance Auto 40-50 off 100 coupons? Sometimes when I come in with 3 separate online orders the guy at the counter can't believe I am paying what I am. Bonus is my local one seems to be the most helpful shop in town though all are pretty good near me.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

everdave posted:

Is nobody else just killing it with these Advance Auto 40-50 off 100 coupons? Sometimes when I come in with 3 separate online orders the guy at the counter can't believe I am paying what I am. Bonus is my local one seems to be the most helpful shop in town though all are pretty good near me.

Wait, what? Are these coupons on their website?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

8ender posted:

But they always have the worst hours. :(

I've never had a bad O'Reilly's or NAPA. Not all are great, but the average Autozone seems to be utter garbage nowadays. I haven't had a reason to hit up my new local NAPA, but the O'Reilly's seems to be decent. That brand won me over by having a box of dash bulbs for a '66 Corvette a couple of years ago. There was about half an inch of dust on it, but they worked.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 6, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Elmnt80 posted:

I can set a replenishing stock order for whatever I want so long as its at a dc (and I think I'll sell it). But its weird that they just have justy parts on a shelf unless its a hub/mini-dc store for your area.

Yeah, I was confused too. I dunno why ANY RENIX jeep or Justy parts are in stock anywhere, practically no one has them anymore. Not that I'm complaining.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Wait, what? Are these coupons on their website?

dude how do people not know about these - even the employees are like how do you get this discount?

right now TRT41 takes 40 off 100

plus if you sign up and go through fatwallet you are supposed to get 6% cash back but that is hit or miss

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

everdave posted:

dude how do people not know about these - even the employees are like how do you get this discount?

right now TRT41 takes 40 off 100

plus if you sign up and go through fatwallet you are supposed to get 6% cash back but that is hit or miss

Dude, I'm gonna need you to explain this slowly in dumb people words for me.

I have a pile of parts in the elecrolysis tank right now.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Dude, I'm gonna need you to explain this slowly in dumb people words for me.

I have a pile of parts in the elecrolysis tank right now.

sign up at fatwallet.com for cash back and click the link to advance auto from their store listing page (this step is unnecessary but if you want the chance to earn 6% of your purchase price back by paypal in a few months)

at advance auto website add up an order for store pickup that totals as close to at least $100 per order

use coupon code trt41 at checkout it will take $40 off $100

rinse and repeat as many times as you want, i think my personal best was 4 separate online orders placed and picked up at same store same day same time

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

My autozone story is that they're the only local store to me that had 5/32" vacuum line or whatever stupid size you need for a Saab 9-5 (which is probably supposed to be 4mm). That and I bought my cheap code reader there since they had them on sale making it the cheapest of cheap code readers. I usually go to Oreilly though since they have the best employees, which honestly shouldn't matter to me much since I pretty much only buy oil and other fluids there.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
No joke, online discounts are better than what we get as employees and what we can do with price matching in store.

You can also do speedperks, their rewards program. Spend a hundo, get 20 off your next 40. Spend 30 get 5 off 10, I think.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, but no coupon beats 65-75% off certain suspension components like tie rod ends. Also like 50% off shocks and such. Now if only o'reillys paid me enough I could afford such things. :v:

Also, gently caress advance so much right now. About once a month I have someone wanting me to price match that online ordering poo poo who gets all pissy I won't do it. loving sell off your company already. I should probably stop helping to derail this thread though.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Raluek posted:

I've found that NAPA tends to have the fewest blank stares, and Autozone the most. Oreilley is somewhere in the middle.

Local NAPA for me, a young woman behind the counter as I walked up went beneath the table and handed me a radiator hose for an MGB without me even opening my mouth. Either she was a stalker or she was psychic. I swear by NAPA now :v:.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Yesterday was bad storms so I didn't get much done. I did, however, throw the other rear brake drum in the electrolysis tank before bed.

This is what I just pulled out:

I've got my eyes out for someone throwing away a kid's backyard pool so I can make a larger tank.

I've also, reluctantly, come to the conclusion that I need to replace the bearings and seals in the rear differential. After seeing the condition of the other bearings and seals there's just no way that I can leave it "as is" if I want this to be right.

Cue me harassing my neighbors for knowledge and help.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

seals are easy, buy twice what you need, remove old, booger up first replacement, curse a lot, finish replacement on second set..

bearings get interesting. there are probably shims under them that adjust the carrier offset side to side, pinion depth, carrier preload, and pinion preload. if you can disassemble without loving them up, you may be able to just put new bearings in with the same shims, but not guaranteed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So I'm completely disassembling the differential today. Found some damage, I'm assuming that's from water getting in there at some point.

Can I paint the inside of the differential case? Does it matter?

I see a chip, or two, off the gear. Is that okay? This thing isn't going to be driving off road, or even on road that much.

• Locked thread