Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Check for worse gear chipping. I can't see it very well in that photo, but it's not a good thing, you may need a new R&P set for that differential and to set it back up. At the very least you should get any/all rust off of the gear tooth mating surfaces, preferably with something like a brass brush, evaporust treatment, etc. Abrasives, files, and metal brushes of similar hardness to the gears are verboten.

If they're still available (I think you can basically build a CJ2A/Willys from a catalog with nothing original except the serial number plate at this point, so I'd be surprised if you can't get gears) it's a job that requires 1-200 bucks in tools and a solid day on your first go-through. After that, it typically takes less time. It's one of the few tasks that most gearheads either are ignorant of and just slap the parts together (then wonder why the gears eat themselves in a few hundred miles or fail immediately), or view as the territory of wizards, even though anyone with enough attention to detail, cleanliness, and patience can do well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

kastein posted:

At the very least you should get any/all rust off of the gear tooth mating surfaces, preferably with something like a brass brush, evaporust treatment, etc. Abrasives, files, and metal brushes of similar hardness to the gears are verboten.

Is there any reason not to use the electrolysis tank like he's been using for other parts, or is that filed under the etc. portion of that first sentence? I don't know much about differentials or electrolysis but I'm curious.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Having not used an electrolysis tank I can't tell you for sure, but if it results in an etched surface (given a clean rust free piece of metal) the answer is no. Gears acquire a lapped, worn-in surface pattern on their meshing surfaces that should not be damaged unless you want to weaken the gears and/or shorten their usable life. Ideally, they should never get rusty on those surfaces, but if they do, you want to remove the rust and nothing else. If electrolysis left going too long can dissolve more metal, it's probably best to either babysit them very carefully or use another rust removal process.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

kastein posted:

Having not used an electrolysis tank I can't tell you for sure, but if it results in an etched surface (given a clean rust free piece of metal) the answer is no. Gears acquire a lapped, worn-in surface pattern on their meshing surfaces that should not be damaged unless you want to weaken the gears and/or shorten their usable life. Ideally, they should never get rusty on those surfaces, but if they do, you want to remove the rust and nothing else. If electrolysis left going too long can dissolve more metal, it's probably best to either babysit them very carefully or use another rust removal process.

Shouldn't the electrolysis convert rust back to iron? I wouldn't think there'd be removal of anything...

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Great, thanks. Like I said, I don't know enough about electrolysis to know what the transition from "only removes rust" to "starts breaking down entire workpiece on an atomic level" looks like.

Seems to me like it would be a better move all around to just replace the components with new.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

casque posted:

Shouldn't the electrolysis convert rust back to iron? I wouldn't think there'd be removal of anything...

I don't believe electrolytic rust removal does that, no. And if it did - who's to say it's going to end back in the structure and shape it was in the first place? Gears are generally made from an 8000 series steel forging; there's a lot going on in there other than pure iron and much of its structure, hardening, and other elemental content is going to be lost.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Great, thanks. Like I said, I don't know enough about electrolysis to know what the transition from "only removes rust" to "starts breaking down entire workpiece on an atomic level" looks like.

Seems to me like it would be a better move all around to just replace the components with new.

I'm no expert either, but I can say that it seems to remove only rust and other crap on the surface of the metal.

When I was building my tank I watched this video. Look at the surface when he's done. The process didn't do any damage to the etched ruler markings on the rusty surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKZv14-K71g

kastein posted:

Check for worse gear chipping. I can't see it very well in that photo, but it's not a good thing, you may need a new R&P set for that differential and to set it back up. At the very least you should get any/all rust off of the gear tooth mating surfaces, preferably with something like a brass brush, evaporust treatment, etc. .

The rust is all off. Unless you're talking about a tiny film of surface rust in some spots. I was going to wipe that off with a rag and spirits before sealing it all up and adding the fluid.

I'll check the gears more closely and snap some better pics.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Better pictures of the gear damage.

The pitted part is at the top right area.

The chipped parts are circled in red.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

kastein posted:

I don't believe electrolytic rust removal does that, no. And if it did - who's to say it's going to end back in the structure and shape it was in the first place? Gears are generally made from an 8000 series steel forging; there's a lot going on in there other than pure iron and much of its structure, hardening, and other elemental content is going to be lost.

I always imagined electrolytic rust removal would reduce the rust to Iron that would remain on the surface of the workpiece which is the dark residue that folks then wash away. In the case of steel, I'm sure you're not going back from surface rust to the starting alloy.

I suspect the iron in the bulk of rust that's visible to the eye is entirely Fe2O3 and the iron is no longer a part of the original steel lattice structure, so reducing it wouldn't make it go back into the structure. But then, I don't really know what the edge of a steel lattice structure looks like and I'm speculating quite a bit at this point.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Agreed, and it doesn't sound like electrolytic rust removal would hurt gears.

I say give it a shot. Then clean the parts and give em a coating of light oil to keep flash rust off till you assemble it. I wouldn't bother replacing the bearings just yet, just put it all back together and see if it howls, whirs, or grinds like a motherfucker when you drive it. If it does, it's time for new gears.

Those chips don't look good but I can't see how far down the teeth to the troughs between the teeth the chips go. If they're only right at the crest of the teeth it MIGHT be OK... but I'd still not expect much out of them.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Let's do a comparison.

I just put this in the bucket:

I'll pull it out tomorrow and do nothing but rinse it off and post a pic.

Of course, that assumes my battery charger won't quit on me tonight. It's been acting up lately.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In theory there's a risk of hydrogen embrittlement from using electrolysis on things like gears. However, if you're concerned about that, a domestic oven is hot enough to carry out the "bake off" heat treatment to get any hydrogen out again. A few (~4) hours at about 200 C seems commonly suggested, which ties up with the temperatures (though not the times) used in a manufacturing environment.

I'm honestly not sure how significant the risk is, though. I might have a chat with the metallurgists at work about it.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

InitialDave posted:

In theory there's a risk of hydrogen embrittlement from using electrolysis on things like gears. However, if you're concerned about that, a domestic oven is hot enough to carry out the "bake off" heat treatment to get any hydrogen out again. A few (~4) hours at about 200 C seems commonly suggested, which ties up with the temperatures (though not the times) used in a manufacturing environment.

I'm honestly not sure how significant the risk is, though. I might have a chat with the metallurgists at work about it.
also, if you do decide to bake the parts, it should be done within a few hours of the electrolysis ... as I understand it, once the hydrogen settles in it's not coming back out.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

:sigh:

It looks like these parts are too damaged to be usable. Do any of you know? Also, what's a good place to get replacement, if that's what I have to do.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They need to be replaced.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
The pinion gear (smaller one) is trashed.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

spacetoaster posted:

:sigh:

It looks like these parts are too damaged to be usable. Do any of you know? Also, what's a good place to get replacement, if that's what I have to do.

Woof. I'd say both gears have chooched their last. Surely there's some old military jeep restoration place that carries them. Any idea on a make and model of the rear end?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Any idea on a make and model of the rear end?

Not really. I thought it was a 1944, but I'm finding that my grandfather changed stuff.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

8ender posted:

Small town NAPAs are the best because they are staffed by grey beard car wizards

quote:

I was browsing some news sites when I noticed an ad for NAPA auto parts on one of the banners. I had been searching for some parts for my WWII jeep restoration project, so I guess a computer decided to show me this advertisement. And my internet searches had resulted in nothing found (a variety of seals and bearings is what I was looking for), and the auto parts stores near me were also unable to help. So, with not much to do on a Saturday afternoon I jumped in my car with a handful of the parts, hoping someone at the NAPA store might be able to help me.

The place was on the other side of town, and as I turned onto the street I was confronted with various garages and used car lots. All of them were closed and the area was practically without traffic (I guess people don't work on, or buy, cars on Saturdays?). I saw the NAPA store and pulled into the empty parking lot. There was a small OPEN sign flashing next to the door so I parked right next it and got out of my car. The place seemed too small to have many parts on there, but I had no where else to go. I checked my watch, it was 3:44, and walked in.

The store was darker than I thought it should be. I turned to look out the front windows and realized that they must be heavily tinted because the outside world was a barely visible blur. I didn't see anyone in the store so I began to walk the aisles. I looked to the rear of the store and saw, through an open door, rows upon rows of high shelves full of boxes, parts, hoses and all other kinds of automobile items. It was a huge warehouse. I supposed that it must not be visible from the front of the store because I don't remember seeing a warehouse when I pulled in. It was about that moment that I noticed the silence. The place was completely, and eerily, silent.

"Can I help you, sir?" I jumped with surprise and turned around to see an old man in a NAPA auto parts shirt. I was still shaken from his arrival so I just held out the seals and bearings in my hands to him. "Hmmm, let me have those." The old man took my offered parts and shuffled behind a nearby counter. Finally finding my voice, I told him I'd be grateful if he could help me find any of the parts I had brought with me. This must have struck him as funny because he just looked at me and smiled as he disappeared below the counter. A moment later he stood back up and placed a large book of some sort on the counter. It was huge and seemed to be almost as old as the man himself.

The old man took each part and examined them closely. Then, while muttering incomprehensible words, his knarled fingers turned pages and wisened eyes scanned parts numbers with a speed that I couldn't follow. Every now and then he would find what he was looking for and say "Yes, yes, yes, here it is.". This went on for a while as I stood there, hoping that he would be able to provide the parts. Time passed and the old man seemed to be satisfied with what he found. He closed the large tome with a dusty thump. He then gestured to the counter with a cash register on it. I walked with him over to the register not knowing what it was all about. He hadn't gotten me any parts yet.

It was at this time that another NAPA employee appeared. Well, she didn't appear out of thin air, but she just came walking out from an aisle that I believed was empty just seconds before. She had a box of parts. The exact parts that I needed. She set them on the counter, smiled at me, and then disappeared back down the same aisle that she had come from. The old man had never spoken to anyone, there was no microphone, no intercom. How had she gotten the right parts and brought them to the counter so fast? "Fifty seven dollars." the old man said, bringing my attention back to him. I handed him a hundred dollar bill and he gave me my change and a NAPA bag with the parts. I thanked him and walked out the door.

Outside it was still quite bright and sunny. I thought this strange because I know I had been in the store for at least an hour. I checked my watch. Then I checked my watch again. It was 3:45. I turned to look at the NAPA auto parts store, to confirm what had just happened. But there was nothing but an empty store front with a "for lease" sign in the large clear windows.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Classic NAPA experience right there. Also the one in my town gives me a discount if I mention my father in law. I don't know why. He just smiles when I ask him why this works. He is also a grey beard car wizard.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

8ender posted:

Also the one in my town gives me a discount if I mention my father in law. I don't know why. He just smiles when I ask him why this works.
The price will be paid. The sins of the father are visited on the son.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

those places are a rare find and should be cherished like a precious gem... I've got a few, and surprisingly one of them is a toyota dealership! Ive never asked for it but I automatically get trade price, and they've never even asked my name. They happily take part numbers ive given them and just order them for me, and they're pretty drat good at getting what I need as soon as possible. The other one is a bearings and maintenance shop- their range is enormous and they have filters and bearings for EVERYTHING in stock- we've got a Lincoln welder/generator unit at work thats powered by a lombardini single pot diesel- everythings from the 70's (it actually starts the thing by running 24V back through the generator to spin the motor over...)

This place had the fuel filter, oil filter, brushes and generator bearings in stock, for under $100.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The price will be paid. The sins of the father are visited on the son.

Devil's red R8 coil packs for your Audi, embrace your new master. May your cam follower never fail, even under the heat of the dark lords black blood. Napa Gold filters are just rebranded Wix. GET A FREE NAPA T-SHIRT WITH A PURCHASE OF SOUL

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I spoke to my pet metallurgist.

Yes, hydrogen embrittlement of hardened/high strength material is an issue with electrolytic de-rusting.

Yes, sticking it in your oven for about 4hrs at 200 C is an appropriate way of dealing with it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Because of the level of skill required to replace those gears and get everything right in the rear differential I'm going to see a supposedly good mechanic who can do it.

He was a recommendation from a friend who has several cars from the time period of this jeep.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

Let's do a comparison.

Of course, that assumes my battery charger won't quit on me tonight. It's been acting up lately.

The electrolysis tank did mess up. I finally figured out I had used too much washing soda in the solution.

The part only got about two hours of time in the tank and a quick brush off.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

spacetoaster posted:

Because of the level of skill required to replace those gears and get everything right in the rear differential I'm going to see a supposedly good mechanic who can do it.

He was a recommendation from a friend who has several cars from the time period of this jeep.

I don't blame you, I'm an experienced mechanic and there are two things I won't touch. Automatic transmissions and rear end gears. There are guys who can do both way faster and correctly for reasonable sums of money.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The only things I haven't touched on the inside (:heysexy:) yet are auto trans, AC compressors, steering racks, and steering gearboxes. Engines, diffs, tcases, mantrans, PS pumps, starters, and alternators are all pretty logical once you dig in... diffs do require a whole special toolset and care/cleanliness/logic though.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kastein posted:

diffs do require a whole special toolset and care/cleanliness/logic though.

So do I hire a wizard or a cleric?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Depends on your alignment.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Diffs are definitely intimidating, but if you set aside the time to do it right and have the proper equipment, it's not horrible. You just need the time, the patience, and a decent guide to reference. Did a Chevy 10 bolt a while back. You'd still need to find a rebuild kit for whatever mystery rear end that is, though.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
I'm about 90% sure it's a Dana 25.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/67298-stock-axle-guide/

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

LloydDobler posted:

I don't blame you, I'm an experienced mechanic and there are two things I won't touch. Automatic transmissions and rear end gears. There are guys who can do both way faster and correctly for reasonable sums of money.

Auto transmissions ain't no thang, as long as they have 3 or less gears. I rebuilt a Ford C4 when I was 20. Still leaking strong 14 years later!

(just a dribble)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

drat. I know Yukon makes install kits for 27s and newer, but I don't see any for the 25. That chart says they're the same but the 27 has a smaller ring gear. The kit for a 27 may work, but it's like $250.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

drat. I know Yukon makes install kits for 27s and newer, but I don't see any for the 25. That chart says they're the same but the 27 has a smaller ring gear. The kit for a 27 may work, but it's like $250.

I'm well versed in AMC era stuff, pre AMC lesser so, but if im not mistaken that diff's carrier pre-load and backlash adjustments will be similar to setting up a D30 or 44.
It's a semi-float setup, I'd reach out to Randy's Ring and Pinion directly and see what they can do to help, there's got to be something out there.

(i also know why the D35 is a piece of poo poo, it's not a native bred dana axle, it was known as the AMC 18 until the chrysler buyout then was sold to dana)

This book, while it's got some hokey stuff and a touch outdated, will prove very useful, covers '41-86:
Look for "The Jeep Bible: 1941-1986 CJ History, Repair, Tune-Up, Build Your Own Jeep - 3rd Edition"
It doesn't cover diffs though, covers a lot of other bits however.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm almost certain it's a dana 27, not a dana 25. The 25 is the front axle. If the cover looks like a dana 30 cover (the 25, 27, 28, and 30 all share a cover apparently) then it's probably a dana 27. If the cover looks like a dana 44, it's probably a CJ-2a dana 41 or dana 44 that was swapped in at a later point. You can use markings on the gears, diameters, bolt counts, hypoid offsets, etc to differentiate the 25/27/28/30 from each other and the 41 and 44 from each other.

41-45 MB/GPW jeeps got 25 fronts and 27 rears according to this chart: http://www.kaiserwillys.com/category/willys-jeep-rear-axle-parts-accessories

I can't guarantee they're good to buy from, since I've never done so, but they seem like they know what they're talking about and have some stuff available for your jeep.

e: I thought the dana 35 was an AMC 15? I could be wrong. And yeah, it's really just a lovely design they inherited from someone else.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kastein posted:

I'm almost certain it's a dana 27, not a dana 25. The 25 is the front axle. If the cover looks like a dana 30 cover (the 25, 27, 28, and 30 all share a cover apparently) then it's probably a dana 27. If the cover looks like a dana 44, it's probably a CJ-2a dana 41 or dana 44 that was swapped in at a later point. You can use markings on the gears, diameters, bolt counts, hypoid offsets, etc to differentiate the 25/27/28/30 from each other and the 41 and 44 from each other.

41-45 MB/GPW jeeps got 25 fronts and 27 rears according to this chart: http://www.kaiserwillys.com/category/willys-jeep-rear-axle-parts-accessories

I can't guarantee they're good to buy from, since I've never done so, but they seem like they know what they're talking about and have some stuff available for your jeep.

e: I thought the dana 35 was an AMC 15? I could be wrong. And yeah, it's really just a lovely design they inherited from someone else.

Is there anything I can photograph that would help you guys figure it out?

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
Kastein is most likely right.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003

kastein posted:

15 or 18, i forget which, either way, there's a reason AMC didn't use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Contacted the Jeep wizard today. As soon as I finish collecting all the parts (seals, gaskets, bearings, gears, brakes, etc) I'm dropping it all off at his shop to be put together.

• Locked thread