Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Whatcha talkin' bout, Willys? (Sorry)

spacetoaster posted:

I am an operator level maintenance guy.
The thing about stuff like this is that if you have opposable thumbs and a toolkit that consists of more than just a hammer, you'll probably be fine. Old, basic vehicles - particularly ones designed to be squaddie-proof - are pretty easy to work on from a straight technical point of view. The hard part is usually dealing with age-related issues like serious corrosion, and knowing what somethign should look like seven decades and multiple bodges ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The wheels will be pretty durable, but for any body panels, ensure that the blasting is done by someone who knows what they're doing with thinner material like automotive panelwork. Being too aggressive with a blaster can damage things. If it's someone at a bodyshop or passed onto by one, they should be ok, but if they're used to dealing with bloody great lumps of iron casting, take care.

As Slow Is Fast says, electrolytic de-rusting is great, really works well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

I'm not going to tell you what to do with your neato project, but I kind of think this is a bad idea. If you're like me, you'll get it all the way apart, realize how much work there is to put it all back together, and get really stressed out. I think it's better to work on one thing at a time. Get it running, then refresh the suspension (or whatever), then fix the tub (or whatever), and so on and so forth. That way each little success gets it closer to looking like a real vehicle, instead of a pile of parts.
Yes, I'd say something similar, though you can still take this kind of idea and make it work while doing a full restoration. My approach would be to remove something, renovate it straight away (so it's only a small project), and then put the now-refreshed component in a box on the shelf. As you get further into it, and down to the chassis, it'll help keep you motivated to know that, yes, this current work is a bit of a bastard, but if you can just get past it, all you're dealing with is bolting together nice, "new" parts like assembling a kit.

I also say don't be too worried about things that aren't "correct". My dad's Austin has a lot of things on it that are "wrong" for the car as per its 1930s spec, but they were common modifications done by people in the sixties, so they're both part of the car's history and are themselves as old as most classic cars anyway. Were he to re-do it ground-up, he might take certain things back to standard because they have to come apart anyway, but other stuff like it having upgraded* brakes would be kept. It doesn't have to be completely correct for a '44 Jeep, because it's your Grandfather's Jeep, and it'll always be correct as that.

*This is when "upgraded" means "actually fitted with hydraulics rather than cable".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spacetoaster posted:

They're in my gun vault.
"Great, now he's got my build plate and he's armed"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oooh, I feel your pain. Decades of rust on a spline joint is always fun.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Looks suspiciously like the 2" nut Land Rover axles have.

The good news is thay're normally not that tight, their primary purpose is to preload/lock the bearings in place.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
For smacking serious rust off thicker steel and castings, an air-powered needle gun is the tits. Braaaaaaarp.

A knotted wire wheel on an angle grinder is very good, though it does leave a slightly polished finish and won't get into all the pits. This isn't super important, but for a really good finish to receive paint, I find wire wheel followed up by a final blasting to be well worth a try.

I wouldn't go with just blasting from the get-go, because my experience is that unless you have a full-on industrial setup in terms of air supply, it takes quite a while on "proper" rust.

Note that blasted bare metal is about the single most rustable thing going, so don't leave it any longer than you have to before putting something on it.

Lastly, a shout to using electrolytic de-rusting on things that'll fit in a tub to do so, especially things which are an awkward shape.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In theory there's a risk of hydrogen embrittlement from using electrolysis on things like gears. However, if you're concerned about that, a domestic oven is hot enough to carry out the "bake off" heat treatment to get any hydrogen out again. A few (~4) hours at about 200 C seems commonly suggested, which ties up with the temperatures (though not the times) used in a manufacturing environment.

I'm honestly not sure how significant the risk is, though. I might have a chat with the metallurgists at work about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I spoke to my pet metallurgist.

Yes, hydrogen embrittlement of hardened/high strength material is an issue with electrolytic de-rusting.

Yes, sticking it in your oven for about 4hrs at 200 C is an appropriate way of dealing with it.

• Locked thread