Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
Has anyone tried the Enhanced Edition mod? Rebalances the game by getting rid of levels, so you can do the story in any order, you can only craft while resting at a campfire, loot is heavy and you have to keep most of it on Roach. Feels like RDR2 meets Kingdom Come. The combat is also pretty punishing, you’ll die to drowners if you don’t have a plan and aren’t healed. The boss fights are more like boxing rounds where you’re both trying to get hits in then resting in a corner which feels canonical. It works great in freeroam, the only sucky part is when missions throw 5-10 ‘easy’ enemies at you and I’m not skillz enough to keep it turned on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

In the grand tradition of rebalance mods meant to make the game more challenging, that just sounds like it makes the game extremely tedious.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I like the no levels part though. Cyberpunk did that for 2.0 and it’s been great.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ainsley McTree posted:

I like the no levels part though. Cyberpunk did that for 2.0 and it’s been great.

NO

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Well technically it’s not no levels I guess, it’s just that levels don’t dictate where you’re allowed to go. No number is gonna be the boss of me

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I've never really enjoyed level scaling, but I did have fun with one mod that removed level restrictions on gear then rushing to Skellige. Was like a Morrowind power curve, very hard beginning, to extremely overpowered mid and late game, then difficulty whiplash once you get to the DLC and you return to the intended balance.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I have sort of a specific question I haven't had much luck searching on. I was thinking about getting the game on PS5 for a replay but I'd really like to have infinite, or at least significantly greater than vanilla, carry capacity. My question is, is this something I could achieve using cross save from the PC version? Like mod that value in on a PC save and then port that over?

Thank you witchin friends

itry
Aug 23, 2019

No Mods No Masters posted:

I have sort of a specific question I haven't had much luck searching on. I was thinking about getting the game on PS5 for a replay but I'd really like to have infinite, or at least significantly greater than vanilla, carry capacity. My question is, is this something I could achieve using cross save from the PC version? Like mod that value in on a PC save and then port that over?

I don't think there is a developer console command for changing the weight limit, which suggests that it has to be modded in. Maybe there's an up to date save editor somewhere you could use to look into it.

You could just make a fresh save file and give yourself the best saddle and points in Strong Back.

itry fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 23, 2023

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

No Mods No Masters posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3

This mod makes it so you can carry up to 9000 $weightUnits.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tjIrHT42eQ

On the one hand props for hiring a proper voiceover to do the rhyme but boo for using ChatGPT to generate it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

My wife got me the cookbook! Will post stuff as I make it!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Back on my Novigrad bullshit

I forgot how much of the Novigrad plot threads don't really go anywhere: you kinda help Cleaver or you don't but it doesn't matter, the King of Beggars is just kind of there, you never actually recover Djikstra's treasure, Menge is presented as a looming threat but then you kill him the very next time you meet him, you go on a date with a fascist that ends with a whimper, etc.

Not to say it's bad, the writing is as strong as ever, but its probably the most 'chasing your tail' of the three main branches.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
You never personally recover Dijkstra's treasure, but you can lead to its recovery based on your choices.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I've being doing the Novigrad quests in my second playthrough and it is kind of funny how you can simultaneously work with Cleaver in the one quest and murder his henchdwarfs and work against him in several sidequests. I'm out here killing his minions left and right and they're still like "Oh it's our buddy Geralt."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Novigrad really feels like it's built more for the premise of "Geralt gets roped into shenanigans via debts or curiosity" that forms the bulk of the short stories in Blood of Elves and Sword of Destiny, so while it doesn't necessarily advance the "find Ciri" plot it does give you a chance to cut loose and do some Witcher adventuring while also setting up some plots that pay off in Act 3 and to a lesser extent in Hearts of Stone.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'm doing a second play through now and my first with the next gen update. Just got to Skellige. I liked the wolf armor last time I played, but is there any way to get this before the game let's me go to Kaer Morhen? It feels odd that it's listed as like level 20, but it's locked off behind much of the story.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Minenfeld! posted:

I'm doing a second play through now and my first with the next gen update. Just got to Skellige. I liked the wolf armor last time I played, but is there any way to get this before the game let's me go to Kaer Morhen? It feels odd that it's listed as like level 20, but it's locked off behind much of the story.

Kaer Morhen is the only place you can get until Wolf Armor, but you can reach there much earlier if you only do the central plot missions.

https://screenrant.com/witcher-3-kaer-morhen-location/

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

For some reason this particular contract always stuck with me:

There's almost something scarier about running into a big, dead giant monster in a cave vs the ones trying to kill you, maybe it's a fear of the unknown type thing.

I've hit that natural stopping point in Novigrad where it all funnels into writing a play to trick Dudu and now I'm debating either hopping over to Skellige or trying to dip a toe into Hearts of Stones just long enough to get the baller sunglasses and the brand. Not sure if its viable at level 17, I remember the frog being pretty difficult even at the actual correct level the first time!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Golden Oriole will help a lot with the Toad Prince battle. So long as you can dodge well the Golden Oriole will protect you from the poison AOE attacks.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

For some reason this particular contract always stuck with me:

There's almost something scarier about running into a big, dead giant monster in a cave vs the ones trying to kill you, maybe it's a fear of the unknown type thing.

I've hit that natural stopping point in Novigrad where it all funnels into writing a play to trick Dudu and now I'm debating either hopping over to Skellige or trying to dip a toe into Hearts of Stones just long enough to get the baller sunglasses and the brand. Not sure if its viable at level 17, I remember the frog being pretty difficult even at the actual correct level the first time!

If you dip into it you get a lovely loser tattoo until you finish it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I know, it rocks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only lovely loser tattoo I'll have in Geralt is his Blue Stripes Commando tattoo.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you dip into it you get a lovely loser tattoo until you finish it.

The post you are quoting mentions the brand as one of the reasons why they want to dip into the DLC.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Arc Hammer posted:

Golden Oriole will help a lot with the Toad Prince battle. So long as you can dodge well the Golden Oriole will protect you from the poison AOE attacks.

And if you have the highest level of Golden Oriole, the poison actually heals you!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So I was wondering, how does the combat feel now in the next-gen update compared to the old system?

I was thinking of upgrading into the next-gen but I'm not entirely sure how this will affect my playstyle. (Death March, gone mostly through the non-DLC content)

I mostly run a Sign-heavy build with the Griffin set since that allows me to cast very often, how will that change in N-G?

Are there any other things I should think about as well, like the perks?

Or am I simply worried about nothing and should just download it ASAP and never look back?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Koorisch posted:

So I was wondering, how does the combat feel now in the next-gen update compared to the old system?

I was thinking of upgrading into the next-gen but I'm not entirely sure how this will affect my playstyle. (Death March, gone mostly through the non-DLC content)

I mostly run a Sign-heavy build with the Griffin set since that allows me to cast very often, how will that change in N-G?

Are there any other things I should think about as well, like the perks?

Or am I simply worried about nothing and should just download it ASAP and never look back?

Nothing to worry about, download it and enjoy. The changes only made signs more viable and easier to cast in combat. As far as difficulty goes its about the same as before, same general curve of it starting hard and getting easier.

Nothing changed significantly, perks and such got reworked a bit, but the core is the same.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Nothing to worry about, download it and enjoy. The changes only made signs more viable and easier to cast in combat. As far as difficulty goes its about the same as before, same general curve of it starting hard and getting easier.

Nothing changed significantly, perks and such got reworked a bit, but the core is the same.

Oh, that sounds good then, guess I'm going to update then!

edit: Oh yeah, any mods that i don't need to bother getting with the new updates since they're already in the game and/or are not working in the new versions?

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 6, 2024

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Koorisch posted:

Oh, that sounds good then, guess I'm going to update then!

edit: Oh yeah, any mods that i don't need to bother getting with the new updates since they're already in the game and/or are not working in the new versions?

Cannot comment on mods, sorry.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Witcher 3 was the only one I’ve not felt any need to mod. The Next Gen update is great.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Auto-apply oils is a big one that's now built in. I think the only mod I'm running now is autoloot.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The first thing I noticed was the combat seems faster - but that was probably just because my first playthrough was on Switch and I'm playing on PC now so it just runs better

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I have just had the strangest bug happen, a large part of the Velen and Novigrad area are completely underwater and I have no idea how to fix it.

Anyone else have this exact issue?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Koorisch posted:

I have just had the strangest bug happen, a large part of the Velen and Novigrad area are completely underwater and I have no idea how to fix it.

We are absolutely going to need screenshots of this.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Saxophone posted:

We are absolutely going to need screenshots of this.

These aren't my screenshots but this is how it looks like.

This only started after I updated into the Next-gen version, never had any problem like this *ever* in the old version.

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 9, 2024

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Koorisch posted:

These aren't my screenshots but this is how it looks like.

This only started after I updated into the Next-gen version, never had any problem like this *ever* in the old version.

Sounds more like a Last-gen version to me

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Koorisch posted:

That happens in Season Of Storms.
#LoreAccurate #wontfix

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 9, 2024

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
And now it's no longer happening :psyduck:

What is happening to this game

Is it because I restarted the game that it's fixed?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I've decided to finally tackle the Witcher games, since I bought all three on GOG, but they've just been collecting virtual dust.

I installed Witcher 1, picked Medium skill, and I've made it through the prologue, which I think is about how far I made it last time I played in 2011 or so. I remember I helped a dwarf who was getting harassed by bandits, and then I ran around town a bit, but I wasn't sure what to do, and I just lost interest.

I took a look at the Before I Play page for some guidance. However, I was wondering if there were any fan patches or mods that I should install before progressing any further. I did a search for mods and found a PC Gamer article that lists a couple of critical gameplay fixes: one was for a plant giving you the wrong material, another was for restoring clues to a quest that I guess don't show up?

As far as technical issues go, I had a crash during the prologue section, but I was able to get back where I was quickly from skipping cutscenes. Still it prompted me to start saving frequently. The biggest issue I've had is that the physics are glitched, so things like Triss' or the hooks the other witchers carry just spasm wildly, but that doesn't seem to affect gameplay so far.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Back when I played Witcher 1 I had the director's cut edition (or whatever it was called), that worked fine technically, didn't need any mods. Was years ago though.

(The first game imo is the most skippable though when it comes to how important the plot is to the rest of the series; basically the first 5 minutes & the last 5 minutes are "good to know" and the rest can be skipped, from a purely story perspective)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I mostly used texture mods. There's a bunch on Nexus by someone called Hiuuz that brings in Witcher 3-ish looks to the relevant characters.

For gameplay I used:

Han Gives Han NOT BErbercane - Han is bugged and can't be harvested
Missing Kalkstein and Leuvaarden Clues Fix - A quest line is missing the involvement of these two characters
Rise of the White Wolf - A bit overboard in some places, but otherwise makes the UI more bearable
Faster Movement Mod - There is a LOT of back and forth in this game and the default movement speed kills me
Project Mersey - Just because I had played it before, this was a good restoration mod to have that mostly fixes lore / dialogue things

For other stuff just browse Nexus. Most of the top rated mods are worth using. Texture replacements are too subjective for me to start listing here.