Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I believe the Directors Cut is the only version being sold now. I played it without any mods and had a pretty good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Witcher is worth playing if you have a high jank tolerance imo. If combat gets frustrating, just stack sign intensity and turn everything to ash with Igni.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The most important thing to remember outside of the gameplay considerations is that characters neither resemble their novelistic counterpoints nor their subsequent appearances in the game series. Except Dandelion, man never changes.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

The above posters are incorrect, it is absolutely essential to install John Paul II Moon.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

jaete posted:

Back when I played Witcher 1 I had the director's cut edition (or whatever it was called), that worked fine technically, didn't need any mods. Was years ago though.

(The first game imo is the most skippable though when it comes to how important the plot is to the rest of the series; basically the first 5 minutes & the last 5 minutes are "good to know" and the rest can be skipped, from a purely story perspective)

The version I have on GOG is the Enhanced Edition Directors Cut, but I downloaded the two mods I mentioned just as a precaution.

I've been told before that Witcher 1 can be skipped, but I wanted to go through it to get the full experience of importing the save into Witcher 2 and then again with Witcher 3. There's also just having the satisfaction of striking it out of my backlog. I'm not ruling the idea out completely, though.

Nobody Interesting posted:

I mostly used texture mods. There's a bunch on Nexus by someone called Hiuuz that brings in Witcher 3-ish looks to the relevant characters.

For gameplay I used:

Han Gives Han NOT BErbercane - Han is bugged and can't be harvested
Missing Kalkstein and Leuvaarden Clues Fix - A quest line is missing the involvement of these two characters
Rise of the White Wolf - A bit overboard in some places, but otherwise makes the UI more bearable
Faster Movement Mod - There is a LOT of back and forth in this game and the default movement speed kills me
Project Mersey - Just because I had played it before, this was a good restoration mod to have that mostly fixes lore / dialogue things

For other stuff just browse Nexus. Most of the top rated mods are worth using. Texture replacements are too subjective for me to start listing here.

Thanks. Downloaded Faster Movement because fetching the potion materials in the prologue was a little tedious, so I think that'll help a lot. I'll give Meresey and Rise of the White Wolf a look. The UI doesn't seem too bad, but then I haven't played enough of the game to say that for sure yet.

SirSamVimes posted:

The Witcher is worth playing if you have a high jank tolerance imo. If combat gets frustrating, just stack sign intensity and turn everything to ash with Igni.
Yeah, the Before I Play notes said that Aard and Igni were good sign investments, with Aard having a perk where you can stun the majority of enemies/bosses and get a one-hit kill on them.

Gaius Marius posted:

The most important thing to remember outside of the gameplay considerations is that characters neither resemble their novelistic counterpoints nor their subsequent appearances in the game series. Except Dandelion, man never changes.

I've not read any of the books so that won't be an issue.

I really don't know all that much about the Witcher, outside of handful of things I've gleaned from various discussions. I know what a witcher is, mind you (super-strong monster hunters mutated with magic and plants), and some various bits of trivia (ex. I read somewhere that in the books, Geralt dies from getting stabbed by a farmer with a pitchfork), but for the most part, I've steered clear of anything covering the series to avoid spoilers.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Witcher 1 is still awesome, runs great, and still holds up. Nothing better than reading all 8 books and then playing all 3 games back to back. In Polish voices.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
When you get to Witcher 2, my mod suggestions are these:

quote:

Yet Another Mod Compilation (Adds a wide variety of bug fixes, tweaks, and updates that enhance the game without fundamentally changing it)
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/942

Better Texture Environment Mod (It increases the detail, contrast, and sharpness of textures for more visual pop, but it has some questionable additions that should be removed manually).
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/158

Remove the following files / folders:

Broken Yrden Trap textures*:
\CookedPC\items\geralt\geralt_signs\yrdentrap.w2ent

Broken Geralt sword animation*:
\CookedPC\items\work\remains_human_01\remains_human_01.w2ent

Dice board "high resolution" branding:
\CookedPC\environment_levels\mini_games\
\CookedPC\environment_levels\decorations\dices\

Dwarven venus statues with "high resolution" tattoo: \CookedPC\environment_levels\architecture\dwarf_city\exterior\textures\dwarf_statue01.xbm, dwarf_statue01_n.xbm, dwarf_statue01_s.xbm

*These are original files that will need to be replaced if the mod is uninstalled. Keep copies of them for future use.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Kaal posted:

When you get to Witcher 2, my mod suggestions are these:

I just started getting into Witcher 2 and thank you for this.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I just started getting into Witcher 2 and thank you for this.

Enjoy! It's a great game.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
So I rolled credits on Witcher 2 last night. Overall, there's a lot I liked and appreciated about the sequel but also things I disliked. Games are a land of contrasts etc, etc, etc

Things I liked:

- The game looks much better than Witcher 1, more detailed environments, more varied npc costuming/faces, overall a much more visually immersive feeling to the game
- The monster design is a lot better, Witcher 1 reused a lot of the same few designs but with color swaps so having more varied and detailed creatures was a nice step up
- Lots of story options and basically two entire campaigns to play, and some drastic changes based on your choices. More games should embrace this style of design
- I like the character build system (even if the more basic and style of the first worked great) and I like how you can customize your Geralt to emphasize combat or magic or potions depending on your preference
- music and sound design continue to be top notch and add so much to the atmosphere of the world, master class in how it should be done. Those monster barks add so much and are greatly appreciated from a design standpoint

Things I didn't like as much:

- This game was clearly designed for a console. I'm sure people can play it with keyboard controls but I'm not one of them. Thankfully I have a PC controller and once I switched over to that I had no issues managing combat
- I miss the inventory system of the first game. I found that one way easier to compare equipment, manage inventory, and see what crafting pattern I had. Witcher 2 stuff is serviceable but a step backwards imo
- why in the poo poo can't I tell if I've read a book or not?? Yeah okay the information isn't vital to the game but I liked reading all of the books in Witcher 1 to get a better idea of the world, cultures, history, monsters, etc. It's such a simple, small thing but why remove it?
- I didn't like how deep you have to go into menus to get monster lore. Why do I have to go into the character menu, then the attributes tab, THEN go over two other tabs to see what kind of sword or poison work best? Dude is a Witcher, monsters are his whole deal, this should be like right in the menu from the start. Ya know, like it is in the first one!

Next up is obviously Witcher 3. I bought a copy for switch probably 4 years ago because I had heard it was a real good port of a real good game. And at the time I didn't have a semi decent computer so I figured it would be my only real option. But now I'm probably going to go with the PC version to keep my saves rolling over and to take advantage of mods. Ain't no way I am dealing with inventory space or weight restrictions, I am a mutant vacuum who picks up everything and I can't play any other way.

Overall, the series continues to be great and I now see why some people were so down on The Witcher netflix series when it started.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 28, 2024

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Overall, the series continues to be great and I now see why some people were so down on The Witcher netflix series when it started.

Do keep in mind the show is not based on the games, but the original novels. That said, if you haven't already, do read the novels. I think they're fantastic fantasy books and it's probably my favorite fantasy series.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

chaosapiant posted:

Do keep in mind the show is not based on the games, but the original novels. That said, if you haven't already, do read the novels. I think they're fantastic fantasy books and it's probably my favorite fantasy series.

if it was based off the games it would be more accurate

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

chaosapiant posted:

I do plan on getting to the books.... eventually.

I realized pretty quickly after starting Witcher 1 that the game(s) were sequels to the books, but it's kinda funny cause knowing the show beforehand I recognized some of the allusions to the books even without reading them.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

chaosapiant posted:

Do keep in mind the show is not based on the games, but the original novels.

Barely lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It started out flawed but really fun and then nosedived into stupidity when they killed eskel for no reason.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the show is so needlessly grim and joyless. the cast is solid but it's just so unpleasant.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

punishedkissinger posted:

the show is so needlessly grim and joyless. the cast is solid but it's just so unpleasant.

Sure, but the showrunners and writing staff are all hacks who wanted to force in quippy Whedon dialogue and killed a major character because they want to shock the audience. Allegedly made fun of Henry Cavill to his face for arguing with them about being true to the books and bragged they never read any of them.

The Blood Origin miniseries was just extremely embarrassing all around, and if that was their level of making something fun it's a good thing they weren't allowed to do the same for the main show.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

hello witcher thread, this weekend I completed the base Witcher 3 game (and HoS prior) and I know I'm like a decade late to the party but boy what a game

Just starting Blood and Wine and drat it kicks off with a bang, though I really do wish the spruce up your villa mechanic had been applied to Kaer Mohren instead; it was pretty depressing to get the bittersweet empress ending and launch back to an empty castle

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Can't really fix Kaer Morhen without Vesimir.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Dijkstracula posted:

hello witcher thread, this weekend I completed the base Witcher 3 game (and HoS prior) and I know I'm like a decade late to the party but boy what a game

Just starting Blood and Wine and drat it kicks off with a bang, though I really do wish the spruce up your villa mechanic had been applied to Kaer Mohren instead; it was pretty depressing to get the bittersweet empress ending and launch back to an empty castle

So yet another person willing to kill a progressive politician all because you wanted to save members of an anti-elf pogromist death squad. Sigi deserved a better friend.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Dijkstra owns but my Geralt dances with the ones what brought em :clint:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Felt the desire to play again, start fresh with some QOL mods.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Here's an orchestra doing music from the Ladies of the Woods quest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMxXp_foNwM

drat good score, drat good quest.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, I'm very rusty at modding the game since the next generation update released. For a baseline I want to install (in descending order of importance:

Bugfixes
Quality of Life (auto apply oils, no durability, cheao dyes everywhere)
Customizable HUD
No Levels Mod
LOD mods
Texture mods

I thought I'd had everything set up properly to run the nextgen DX12 version but not only have my mod menus not shown up, I've also got greyed out options in my DX12 graphics settings.

Is there a proper modding guide for the DX12 edition of the game?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Don't know about the issues themselves but you don't need auto-apply oils anymore. It's part of the base game now iirc.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

People who don't manually apply their oils don't have the strength of character to be a Witcher.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SirSamVimes posted:

People who don't manually apply their oils don't have the strength of character to be a Witcher.

''A Witcher can forget to eat, to drink, to breathe, even, but a Witcher never, ever forgets to care for his blade. ''

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I managed to get everything to work again. Had to reinstall the Mod Manager and redirect it to handle the DX12 exe instead.

Had a very funny moment during the fistfight in front of the White Orchard tavern. I beat the first guy and then the moment the second and third guys attack Roach kicked one in the face, panicked and ran over the other guy, and that counted as a win.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sorry for the triple posting but a tech question. I have an RTX 4080 card that can run the nextgen update handily. Would I be better off using DLSS Quality or TAAU for my anti-aliasing options? Is it the general rule that the TAA will look better than the DLSS because it's not rendering at a lower resolution and then I upscaling? Or will the TAA still have ghosting issues

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I have the same video card. I use DLAA and crank everything to the max (on a 1440p screen) and just turn off hairworks. Gsync also helps. With those settings I get 60-100 fps depending on the area.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chaosapiant posted:

I have the same video card. I use DLAA and crank everything to the max (on a 1440p screen) and just turn off hairworks. Gsync also helps. With those settings I get 60-100 fps depending on the area.

I'm not seeing a DLAA option on my AA list. I've got FXAA, TAAU, DLSS, and XESS options.

DLAA runs at native resolution and applies the deep learning algorithm to clean out jaggies just without the superscaling of DLSS, right?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm not seeing a DLAA option on my AA list. I've got FXAA, TAAU, DLSS, and XESS options.

DLAA runs at native resolution and applies the deep learning algorithm to clean out jaggies just without the superscaling of DLSS, right?

DLAA is a form of DLSS that, if I’m remembering correctly, upscales the image instead of down scaling it, while applying the same AA and sharpness filters. I think DLAA is in the DLSS options, not under AA. I’m in a cruise so I can’t check if im mistaken.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
IIRC, DLAA is just DLSS with the render scale at 100%, so it doesn't downscale before applying deep learning tech.

Honestly, if you have some performance to spare, i'd use nvidia's DSR + DL.
DSR is dynamic super resolution, where you can render the image in, let's say, 4K before downsampling it to 1080p on your monitor. Sort of like the old SSAA methods of old. Gets rid of jaggies very well, is prohibitively expensive.

But that's where the DL part (like in DLSS) comes in. The uprezzed render is upscaled with the DLSS tech before being downsampled to your output resolution, getting you (as nVidia claims) DSR 4x quality (3840*2160) visually while only having to actually render DSR-DL 2.25x (2880*1620) on your 1080p monitor. Basically DLSS but applied in the opposite way.

You can enable it in the nVidia control panel 3D settings under DSR factors, where you have to tick the resolutions you want to enable. You should only enable the DL options (1.78x and 2.25x), and after that they will show up as rendering resolutions in-game.
So you select 2880*1620 (for DSR-DL x2.25) in-game on your 1080p monitor and enjoy 4K quality downsampled to your output.

I use it a lot in low-impact games like Deep Rock Galactic or older less demanding games, where all built-in aliasing options just don't perform well. It looks really good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I actually do have DLDSR enabled and I've been rendering at 1440p. So to do like you suggest, my best bet might be to render at 4K and just turn off the other AA options in the menu?

EDIT: Noooope, even DLDSR-ing to 4K you need to put on an anti aliasing method because my god it's rough without one. Putting it to 4K and DLSS Quality looks quite nice though.

gently caress this game is beautiful. Nothing else looks quite like it, and I adore Geralt's various looks of exasperation, amusement and general grumpiness.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 27, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7ZgJCl62sA

I'm sorry, I missed this announcement. Doug is back to voice Geralt! And it's an adaptation of A Little Sacrifice!

Nightmare of the Wolf was decent but it felt more like a Castlevania spinoff than a Witcher story, this has my attention.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7ZgJCl62sA

I'm sorry, I missed this announcement. Doug is back to voice Geralt! And it's an adaptation of A Little Sacrifice!

Nightmare of the Wolf was decent but it felt more like a Castlevania spinoff than a Witcher story, this has my attention.

Nightmare looked like the animation studio was told to watch Castlevania and make more of the same. This also looks like more of the same, visually anyway. With the exception of Doug Cockle being involved. That part is pretty cool.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Redkit is being released this year, much more powerful modding tools which would allow for new lands, quests etc. I wonder if any modders will have the steam to make anything big on a game this old. After having seen streams of Manor Lords, I'd almost prefer someone makes a Witcher mod for that instead.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Redkit is being released this year, much more powerful modding tools which would allow for new lands, quests etc. I wonder if any modders will have the steam to make anything big on a game this old. After having seen streams of Manor Lords, I'd almost prefer someone makes a Witcher mod for that instead.

if it can make it easier to mod W3 im excited. I absolutely hate trying to mod W3 and dealing with that loving program that shows the problems as coding conflicts is literally black magic to me. my adventure in W3 modding was just picking things that looked cool and then having to get rid of them since i had no capacity to manage any conflicts.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Cool, I hope someone makes a good troll related quest filled with political intrigue. Like the trolls are trying to rig the stock market and Geralt is caught in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Cool, I hope someone makes a good troll related quest filled with political intrigue. Like the trolls are trying to rig the stock market and Geralt is caught in the middle.

trying to imagine what a stock market for Velen of all loving places would look like, and I gotta say I am coming up blank