Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Near end game stuff;

Am I stuck with blue Roach if he's given to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
In the Final Preparations quest is it okay to talk to everyone and make them wait or does the game punish you for making Avallach, Triss and everyone else wait while you go help Ciri?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Edit: Please say the landmass I see on the map + Skellige is the entire world. If it's much bigger than that I'm never gonna finish this game.

Like, I saw the tutorial lands, Oxenfurt, Novigrad, and know about Skellige. The paper map that comes with the game shows more.

It is, but you only go to certain parts of that landmass. There's only White Orchard, Velen, Novigrad and Skellige which doesn't sound like much but they're all absolutely immense and packed with detail.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

webmeister posted:

It is, but you only go to certain parts of that landmass. There's only White Orchard, Velen, Novigrad and Skellige which doesn't sound like much but they're all absolutely immense and packed with detail.

to clarify, you do not go to the outer edges, it varies how close you can get. a lot of the landmas to the east is unused, and the entirety of the Nilfgaardian camp is not seen. it looks like they may have built all of that and have left it for expansions

Texibus
May 18, 2008
First big game I've played in awhile and I'm having a pretty solid time with it. Good OP, thanks goons.

Considering I'm spergy, sperg no way of me messing up an romantic poo poo at the end of the game by loving my way across the countryside looking for my adoptive daughter?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The only way to mess up the romance stuff is to go for both Triss and Yennefer

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I am level 8 on my second play through, this time on the hardest difficulty. After swishashwunking my way through on normal the difficulty hike is perfect for forcing me to play differently. I never used a single alt-sign on my first run through and only used offensive signs because stamina was there and it let me hurt things. This time I am getting chomped up by drowners and nekkers and it's a nice change of pace having to rely on more of the tools available.

I think the biggest difference so far is that in my first playthrough I had hundreds of food items just sitting around never getting used, and this time I am scrambling for wolf livers and honeycombs just to stay alive.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 12, 2015

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Manatee Cannon posted:

The only way to mess up the romance stuff is to go for both Triss and Yennefer

It seems like Yennerfer is meant to be the canonical love interest. Considering Keira said to geralt to stop being Yen's dog I'm not so sure of their relationship. I only ever played Witcher 2 before this. So I actually really like Triss.

I'm finally going to meet Triss, I'm level 12 now. Hoping that That witcher place is like Firelink Shrine and safe for everyone I send there.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Snak posted:

For some reason I have a really hard time distinguishing if dialogue options are grayed out. It is a fact that I need new glasses though, so that might be related. My TV is also kind of lovely. I swear to god I've never buying and kind of electronic appliance at a retail store again with researching that exact model. Both my Brother printer from staples and my LG TV from Sams Club are some obscure demo model that don't have full features or driver support.

I have this problem too. When I went back to do "collect em all" I definitely played some guys I had gotten cards off of before. The only advice I'd give is that there is a small yellow tint to "not grey". Not the full on yellow ones mind you, just a slight yellow hue.

mmkay posted:

You get to kill the last one in one of the potential endings

Wait, what?

MoraleHazard posted:

In the Final Preparations quest is it okay to talk to everyone and make them wait or does the game punish you for making Avallach, Triss and everyone else wait while you go help Ciri?

It kind of depends on what ending you want, but I'd suggest doing all four of the "Final Preparations" quests. They're seriously the most fun quests in the game. They are:

1) "Blindingly Obvious" (Djikstra)
2) "The Great Escape" (Yen)
3) "Payback" (Ciri)
4) Through Space and Time (Avallach)

I did them basically in that order. I don't think 2&3 have an effect on the ending, but they're great. Number 1 definitely affects what ending you get and I think you have to do #4 as I think it's the only mandatory one?

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 12, 2015

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ularg posted:

It seems like Yennerfer is meant to be the canonical love interest. Considering Keira said to geralt to stop being Yen's dog I'm not so sure of their relationship. I only ever played Witcher 2 before this. So I actually really like Triss.

I'm finally going to meet Triss, I'm level 12 now. Hoping that That witcher place is like Firelink Shrine and safe for everyone I send there.

short answer after this thread has sperged out FOREVER on yen v triss

Triss took advantage of geralt when he had amnesia, she knew all about him and yen and used it as an in to bang him anyway instead of telling him about his relationship with Yen. Yen is kind of a bitch sometimes but you have to remember him and yen have known each other for a lifetime already. Essentially Triss was kind of manipulative but now that they have broken up you can play it as geralt deciding to forgive and pursue her anyway.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

Wait, what?

It's not worth it. Ending spoilers:

If you're generally dismissive/dickish to Ciri, she lacks resolve in her attack on the White Frost and dies in the attempt. The game flashes forward to the Velen swamps where Geralt's tracking down the Crone who stole her pendant. He beats her within an inch of her life, hurls her sword in her back as she's trying to run, then rams his second sword through her head. He finds the pendant in her hut, then holds it close and waits for death as Drowners and Nekkers swarm the place by the dozens.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ularg posted:

Yennefer is the canon love interest. Triss even being in the running is only from the games. Triss is incredibly lovely to Geralt, Ciri, and Yennefer on several occasions in the novels and the first game. You don't really get to see that in TW2 or 3 and the only thing that's brought up is how you cheat on Yennefer with her. What isn't brought up is how Triss takes advantage of Geralt's amnesia in the first game to sleep with him because he can't remember who Yennefer is. The book stuff is glossed over entirely, even in the books themselves. It always confused me how Yennefer or Geralt still considered her their friend by the end of the novels.

edit: I think the big difference to keep in mind is that Yennefer will always put Geralt and Ciri first; Triss puts politics and the sorcerers/sorceresses first and will abandon you if it comes down to it. This is true in both the novels and the games.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 12, 2015

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Oxxidation posted:

If you're generally dismissive/dickish to Ciri, she lacks resolve in her attack on the White Frost and dies in the attempt. The game flashes forward to the Velen swamps where Geralt's tracking down the Crone who stole her pendant. He beats her within an inch of her life, hurls her sword in her back as she's trying to run, then rams his second sword through her head. He finds the pendant in her hut, then holds it close and waits for death as Drowners and Nekkers swarm the place by the dozens.

:stare:

Jesus Christ.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Jeese, Triss is a dick.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ularg posted:

Jeese, Triss is a dick.

She suffers for her actions and then some over the course of Witcher 2 and 3, though, so it's probably safe to assume she regrets what she did. There's a definite undertone of penance in her mission to smuggle all the mages out of Novigrad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's also her abandoning you and Ciri for no real reason. She doesn't need to leave on the ship with them but she still does. I felt like she just gave up on Geralt after Yennefer came back into the picture because she didn't think she could win that competition.

She is better in TW2 and 3 but that's more because she doesn't do anything outright terrible and the games never, ever focus on her having done anything wrong to begin with.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Well now that I'm in Novigrad I can see the PS4 struggling to keep up. Just in freaking conversations it'll do that blur-screen thing where it needs to load more before continuing. But it doesn't stop the dialogue so all the lip-syncing is off for a bit. Don't know why it's limited to just conversations in Novigrad.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Texibus posted:

First big game I've played in awhile and I'm having a pretty solid time with it. Good OP, thanks goons.

Considering I'm spergy, sperg no way of me messing up an romantic poo poo at the end of the game by loving my way across the countryside looking for my adoptive daughter?

As others have mentioned, the only way you gently caress up romances is by telling Yennefer or Triss you love them, which will lock out the other romance. You can tell both of them you love them, but I can't promise that will end well :v:

You will probably meet Triss a lot earlier than Yennefer, unless you're familiar with the books or earlier games and know who you want to shack up with, probably better to wait on committing until you've spent some time with both of them.

For general spergery, this game does not reward level and loot progression much. That is, quests generally don't give you much XP, a small amount of gold, and rarely any loot of value. If you play this game to hit level 15 and equip your fancy new sword you're going to be disappointed with the results. You'll have a ton more fun just wandering around interacting with characters and doing quests. The combat is pretty good but it's easy to trivialize it and powergaming is pointless.

A lot of players highly recommend turning off much/all of the UI and HUD to just immerse yourself as much as possible.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Pellisworth posted:

As others have mentioned, the only way you gently caress up romances is by telling Yennefer or Triss you love them, which will lock out the other romance. You can tell both of them you love them, but I can't promise that will end well :v:

You will probably meet Triss a lot earlier than Yennefer, unless you're familiar with the books or earlier games and know who you want to shack up with, probably better to wait on committing until you've spent some time with both of them.

Well, poo poo? I'm not that far into Skellige yet (still havent done much of the main quest here) but Geralt's had lighthouse funtime with Triss and unicorn funtime with Yennifer.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You're hosed then, sorry. Can't do both and get a romance at the end. The scene where it blows up in your face is pretty funny though.

or at least I think you are, it might be that you have to complete their side quests and tell them you love them before it's set in stone that you've messed up

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fishstick posted:

Well, poo poo? I'm not that far into Skellige yet (still havent done much of the main quest here) but Geralt's had lighthouse funtime with Triss and unicorn funtime with Yennifer.

Manatee Cannon posted:

You're hosed then, sorry. Can't do both and get a romance at the end. The scene where it blows up in your face is pretty funny though.

or at least I think you are, it might be that you have to complete their side quests and tell them you love them before it's set in stone that you've messed up

I'm not sure if sleeping with them locks you out, I think the point of no return is explicitly telling them you love them.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fishstick posted:

You just can't tell them that you love them both. There is a later Skellige quest where you get the chance to tell Yen that you love her.

efb

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

I'm not sure if sleeping with them locks you out, I think the point of no return is explicitly telling them you love them.

He is locked out from Yen's romance. The unicorn is not the trigger for Yen but getting to bang Triss requires telling her you love her.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Oxxidation posted:

:stare: Well, not I know what I'm NOT doing.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Ularg posted:

Well now that I'm in Novigrad I can see the PS4 struggling to keep up. Just in freaking conversations it'll do that blur-screen thing where it needs to load more before continuing. But it doesn't stop the dialogue so all the lip-syncing is off for a bit. Don't know why it's limited to just conversations in Novigrad.

I never had an issue with a lip syncing thing, but I a few times got the blur screen thing before talking to someone. It was not nearly enough times to really think about it though. Im not quite sure what settings I might have different on my PS4.

/shrug

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Playing with a ps4 controller connected to PC but my computer keeps falling asleep cause windows 8 doesnt recognize the controller as movement by mouse/kb. Anyone else run into this and have a fix besides turning off screen sleep before playing?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Geralt of Rivia, investor in Bottles futures

Edit:

There's a dock merchant north in novigrad that pays full price for any item, but he's only got about 500 crowns in stock - but he also sells bottles at 1 crown each - the same price literally any vendor buys them at - and that stock replenishes instantly. Buy bottles, sell items at full price, later foist bottles on any merchant unlucky enough to accept em. You can hit the inventory button to exit from shop to "show me what you got" fast. It's a bit cheesy but if you need cash its a great way.

Merchant's here:

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 12, 2015

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Are you using the native ps4 support or dsfix?

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Anti-Hero posted:

Are you using the native ps4 support or dsfix?

Native, if I turn on dsfix the game takes all inputs from the controller twice.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Fishstick posted:

Geralt of Rivia, investor in Bottles futures
i have written little scenarios in my head that explain why i am constantly hauling around at least two thousand empty vials

novigrad is ahead of its time when it comes to recycling

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Finally just beat it for the first time. Really happy with my ending, except that I didn't ever assassinate Radovid and I bet things turn out better for a lot of non-humans and herbalists if you do. Ciri lived and became a Witcheress and Geralt settled down with Triss.

Great ending, great characters, great writing. 10/10. Going to go start my next playthought on death march right now. Going to do lots of stuff differently and do all the quests I skipped before.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Snak posted:

Finally just beat it for the first time. Really happy with my ending, except that I didn't ever assassinate Radovid and I bet things turn out better for a lot of non-humans and herbalists if you do. Ciri lived and became a Witcheress and Geralt settled down with Triss.

Great ending, great characters, great writing. 10/10. Going to go start my next playthought on death march right now. Going to do lots of stuff differently and do all the quests I skipped before.

I started a new one too, but literally the next morning they announced NG+ so I'm waiting now.

Fishstick posted:

There's a dock merchant north in novigrad that pays full price for any item, but he's only got about 500 crowns in stock - but he also sells bottles at 1 crown each - the same price literally any vendor buys them at - and that stock replenishes instantly. Buy bottles, sell items at full price, later foist bottles on any merchant unlucky enough to accept em. You can hit the inventory button to exit from shop to "show me what you got" fast. It's a bit cheesy but if you need cash its a great way.

Merchant's here:

This exploit was even easier when the Loan Shark had foreign currency. You could just buy all his foreign currency and dump the bottles on him. Then go to Vivaldi to get your crowns back.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

JetsGuy posted:

I started a new one too, but literally the next morning they announced NG+ so I'm waiting now.

This exploit was even easier when the Loan Shark had foreign currency. You could just buy all his foreign currency and dump the bottles on him. Then go to Vivaldi to get your crowns back.

That..would tread water. You'd buy the florens at 1f : 3c (or 3 bottles) and then cash them at the bank for 1f : 3c.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Native, if I turn on dsfix the game takes all inputs from the controller twice.

You can fix that by turning on "hide ds4" in dsfix.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

Its me, i'm the guy who hosed myself because I told Triss I loved her. I went into witcher3 blind and ended up liking triss, until I read about the book plot + previous games plot without knowing about all this amnesia stuff. At this point in the story I still havent told Yen, but I'm tempted to just to see the fallout, and will do a new playthrough once NG+ hits

E: It's also funny how everyone on early skellige gives you poo poo for being under Yennefer's thumb/being whipped because of dandelions ballads.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 12, 2015

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Anti-Hero posted:

You can fix that by turning on "hide ds4" in dsfix.

Has anyone told you how beautiful you are lately?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Ularg posted:

It's just that Novigrad is the heaviest place in the game, graphically. I had a 560TI when I first started playing this game. I turned the settings down a bit and was able to play pretty flawlessly. When I got to Novigrad, though, the game really started to churn. And it's pretty much the only place that it ever happened (it would happen occasionally if a LOT was going on).

e: vvv oh. that sucks.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 12, 2015

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ularg posted:

This started after 1.08 for me. It's not too bad even though it's super annoying but I'm expecting that it will be fixed in 1.09.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I need some plot help
When did this yennifer/Geralt djinni thing happen? Geralt (at some point) wished they'd be together forever and now we're finding remnants of a djinn to make sure that connection is legit, but how far ago did this poo poo happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Fishstick posted:

I need some plot help
When did this yennifer/Geralt djinni thing happen? Geralt (at some point) wished they'd be together forever and now we're finding remnants of a djinn to make sure that connection is legit, but how far ago did this poo poo happen?

20 years+ ago. Basically when they first met.