Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Got to clear the map mang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I got Witcher Ciri because I didn't get what Emir wanted with her and my general instinct was to keep her the gently caress away from him as far as possible. Emir is an utter oval office throughout all the books and the games, and in the books he wants to actually marry Ciri even though she's his loving daughter, just so he can have the super-child with her.
Were there a lot of hints that he had massively changed, or is this just the effect of CDPR's (occasionally) slightly odd narrative style?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

El Grillo posted:

I got Witcher Ciri because I didn't get what Emir wanted with her and my general instinct was to keep her the gently caress away from him as far as possible. Emir is an utter oval office throughout all the books and the games, and in the books he wants to actually marry Ciri even though she's his loving daughter, just so he can have the super-child with her.
Were there a lot of hints that he had massively changed, or is this just the effect of CDPR's (occasionally) slightly odd narrative style?

There was none of that poo poo from the books, to my recollection. He's just a guy who wants his child to continue the family business. And in the books he decided against that crap anyways, right?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, I wouldn't say it is out of character for Emhyr to not be a dick. In the last book he initially tells Geralt and Yennefer to commit suicide to unburden Ciri when he has her in his hands, then when he sees how much the girl is suffering he does a full 180, releases Geralt and Yennefer and lets them go wherever they want to, abandoning a project he had been working on for his entire adult life for the sake of his daughter's happiness. Emhyr is a huge monster whose conscience began to bother him in his old age.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

No it doesn't. It actually gives you more opportunities for good dad points

No it doesn't. Refusing to go to bald mountain counts the same as refusing payment.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm watching the fmvs that were linked earlier and I'm loving it. The talk about Geralt being a mary sue are so dead on. The part where he made fun of spontaneous generation in the middle ages was no-question, my favorite shark jump in media history.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm watching the fmvs that were linked earlier and I'm loving it. The talk about Geralt being a mary sue are so dead on. The part where he made fun of spontaneous generation in the middle ages was no-question, my favorite shark jump in media history.

Geralt and the Witcher's are essentially space marines set in fantasy land.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
if I have just finished the wedding sequence, how far am I in to Hearts of Stone? thanks

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It's been a while and I could be wrong, but I think a third? Maybe a bit less.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
there's the frog prince, the wedding, the two other wishes and a short ending quest, so yeah a little over a third

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

skellige is interesting just the boating mechanic in the game kind of blows.

Also there were really only 3 main story quests on Skellige? That seems bizarre when the Valen and Novigrad ones had roughly 5,000 each.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Paul Zuvella posted:

skellige is interesting just the boating mechanic in the game kind of blows.

Also there were really only 3 main story quests on Skellige? That seems bizarre when the Valen and Novigrad ones had roughly 5,000 each.

A lot of Skellige's main quest is optional, the whole kingmaking thing, Yen's sidequest and fighting Morkvarg are all basically part of the Skellige's main quest. Still probably shorter than the others, but it's not only 3 quests.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

A lot of Skellige's main quest is optional, the whole kingmaking thing, Yen's sidequest and fighting Morkvarg are all basically part of the Skellige's main quest. Still probably shorter than the others, but it's not only 3 quests.

I mean, I went to Skellige, decided to do some main quests as I collected side stuff, did 3 and now it's sending me back to valen.0

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Make sure you do Yen's quest and go after Crach's kids. Don't go straight to Velen.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Sidenote: only do Yen's quest if you're pursuing the romance with her

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Nah.

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature

2house2fly posted:

You can do it either way, but your choice at the end determines whether you are going to pursue the romance or not.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Dumping Yen in that quest is the single best moment of her character in the game.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

:siren:Lots of wroooong opinions made by people who got tricked by that there she devil in this topic:siren:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Wooper posted:

Dumping Yen in that quest is the single best moment of her character in the game.

I should've tried it then reloaded. It was written so bluntly, but then again, the writers often paraphrase the dialogue option with what you actually say rather clumsily.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Who do you guys like better, Yen or Triss

Please include a few paragraphs explaining your choice

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Phew, I finally did it. I completed literally every single quest (except for the ones I failed) in the game and the DLC. My quest list is completely empty. I can finally play other games!

I wish there was some way on PS4 to see how many hours I've put into the game. I'm sure it would be hundreds of hours. I've read that the in-game counter is wildly inaccurate.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I think that's because if you suspend the game and do something else the timer is still counting. Mine seemed accurate enough.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Turn off level scaling for yen's quest. You will get one shotted otherwise

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Don't follow this advice because not doing this quest locks you out of the Triss ending as well.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
That quest literally determines the romance outcome, on its own. You can say whatever to Triss in her stuff, all that really matters is if you turn away Yen or not.

More proof that Triss is a terrible choice... you can be a dick to her and cast her off, and if you turn down Yen you can still end up with her. No shame. Sad!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fuzz posted:

More proof that Triss is a terrible choice... you can be a dick to her and cast her off, and if you turn down Yen you can still end up with her. No shame. Sad!

This is why I don't buy the Forever Alone ending. Like, they do the threesome thing, tie Geralt up and leave, sure.

Then, if it wasn't for devs going HA HA gently caress YOU, what would actually happen is Triss would run back like a minute later and untie him if he only promises to be with her.

And then he and Yen would have another hatefucking session and make up a few years later.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

The Witcher 3 - Waifu Chat Hunt

Wooper posted:

you were not kidding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVWc9lARMsk

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 22, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I figure that's what will happen eventually. The threesome joke ending just sets geralt back to the status quo: vagrant monster slayer with an out of control libido.
Witcher 4: Progeny of Flings. Geralt must gain help from both Triss and Yennefer after his supposed sterility turns out to be false. Now, with the only two women incapable of bearing children at his side, the white wolf must journey across the continent in search of his many white haired offspring.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Fellblade posted:

Don't follow this advice because not doing this quest locks you out of the Triss ending as well.

What the gently caress. Oh well, if I play again I'm going to have Geralt Go His Own Way anyway

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

AfricanBootyShine posted:

The Witcher 3 - Waifu Chat Hunt

you were not kidding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVWc9lARMsk

I can't take Geralt seriously with that haircut.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Only took me about 140 hours to finish the main game. I quit playing Gwent in Skellige at some point. I knocked out all but one or two side quests and several contracts and treasure hunts I still have to do.

Outcome spoilers: Empress Ciri, Yen and Geralt romance, Cerys as queen of Skellige, Dijkstra is a dead man who waited far too long and was too clever for his own good, Crone-kids lived, Crone-village got wrecked when I let the mom out early on, Baron dead, Baron-wife also dead monster. Never killed a Doppler or Succubus as far as I can tell. Keira lived, Dudu doing his thing as a crime boss I guess.

Looking forward to loving up people in the northwest and then going to France and going hogwild on monsters and getting mad money.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I've never actually played through the DLC but am gearing up to start a fresh play through of the entire game from start to finish. From what I remember beating it before the DLC, I don't know how I could finish the game at even the minimum recommended levels for the new content. Did they change something about the leveling curve or experience gains since before the new content was released?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I only played the game for the first time in November but presumably they did rebalance xp because you'll definitely finish the game at an appropriate level for the DLC

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

2house2fly posted:

I only played the game for the first time in November but presumably they did rebalance xp because you'll definitely finish the game at an appropriate level for the DLC

Not really. Sidequests give dick all for experience points, and are there for the story content. Main quests give huge dumps of exp, so you are always going to be roughly the right level as you progress on story missions, being either a little stronger or a little weaker depending on how many sidequests you've done to eke out a level or two.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Rescue villages. That always gives a huge pile of exp.

Finished Hearts of Stone and the main game, HoS was awesome as hell. Started B&W and kinda not enjoying the vibe of Toissant, kinda feels like they went over the top compared to the books. Still, it's fun to see Geralt take the piss out of the entire place, and holy poo poo the fight with Mancomb was simultaneously one of the funniest bits in the game and an amazing reference. :allears:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You would have to do basically nothing but the main quest to be underleveled for the DLC, and I'm not even sure you'd be underleveled then. Even if you were, there's an option to jump straight to the DLC with a premade level 30-something character.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Don't do that though because it's actually harder than just playing the main game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The premium (animated) Emhyr card for stand-alone Gwent looks dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Wow, the Skellige deck is chock full of bullshit. I'm all for interesting variation between decks, but it's like a stark departure from every other deck. Does standalone retool the originals and add any other new decks with crazy mechanics, too?