Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Honestly that screenshot does look terrible.

Other than the fact that the sky is really orange and the roof thatching doesn't look all that great, what's wrong with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
I've really enjoyed reading 4 pages of posts by a guy who seems to pride himself on speaking truth to marketing power taking a trailer made 2 years before the release of a game at face value and having a meltdown when he realizes that the final product doesn't look exactly the same.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can I still manually switch between swords? Was there ever even a practical reason to do that in the previous games? I don't think I ever encountered a fight with both people and monsters at the same time.

The mines in the climax of Roche's Act 2 were full of mercenaries fighting rotfiends.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

VDay posted:

I always just kind of figured that was more for lore reasons than pure gameplay, and I think it's kind of neat. It reinforces the whole preparation aspect of Witchers to show that they'd be willing to lug two big heavy swords around just for the sake of having a more appropriate weapon in a fight.

I don't think he's saying there shouldn't be two swords. I think he's wondering if there will just be one button to draw your weapon and the game automatically draws whichever is appropriate for the fight. It kind of already did this in TW2, though, in that if you didn't already have a weapon out Geralt would automatically draw whichever was appropriate when combat started. I think that mechanic is good enough. You might want to draw a different sword for some reason or need to switch in combat, especially in an open world game.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

1stGear posted:

You not understanding the technical and visual aspects of game development over a 3 year period is not CDPR's fault.

What I don't understand is that in many cases it's clearly the same assets that were shown in those early trailers, but a couple of particle effects are toned down and the color grading is different.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Daric posted:

Probably because in that first trailer they were filming only that one scene but in the later stuff they had to render the whole game world

Oh, yeah, I understand why it looks different. There are a bunch of reasons, and one of them is that it's easier to light a staged scene than it is make sure an open world game looks super cool and cinematic from every angle in every lighting condition.

What I meant was that I've even read some stuff from people in this thread who either don't care or don't think there was a downgrade saying that certain screenshots look worse or cartoony or something, and to me it mostly just looks like the color correction is different.

It seems like a lot of people are using "downgrade" as code for "I don't like the artistic choices that were made."

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 16, 2015

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
So, is there any reason to buy this on GOG instead of Steam? Because Steam is giving me a bigger discount.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Archimago posted:

So in TW3 do you guys think Emyhr will be called "The White Flame Dancing on the Barrows of his Enemies" or "The White Flamce Dancing on the Graves of his Enemies"?

Personally, I think the former is cooler and more poetic but maybe they'll change it so console simpletons don't have to Google the word barrow?

Thoughts?

I think I'd be more concerned about people needing to look up the word flamce than barrow.

I also think Flamce sounds way more poetic.

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 16, 2015

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
So I watched the first couple minutes of that video and it turns out they were talking about a toning down a sharpen filter on the grass.

Here you go Utnayan, I fixed it for you:

I got a little overzealous and sharpened Geralt and a deer and everything else, but I didn't want to downgrade it so I left it as is.

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 16, 2015

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Utnayan posted:

Maybe one day you will understand that there are people in this industry fighting for the consumer, but hamstrung. Without egos, who will make gaming better without the bullshit that happened with this title and the misleading marketing that happened with the PC version.

Let me note: This is BEYOND the developer and the good people (250) that work for the company so while some of you work there and post here relax, this is not about you.

But Christ, quit defending it because the same developers you think you are protecting are just as pissed about this as I am and as you are, but failing to acknowledge it.

Talk about the game. But also talk about how this was a gently caress up. And no, it was NOT the fault of the people that work there on this game and post here under handles. They are just as pissed as I am.

Enough said. The game rocks. But Acknowledge the bullshit when it comes to least common denomination development because if it effects this company as much as it has, kiss advancement goodbye and you can see low cost development for the rest of your lives,.

And those that work in the industry, your job goes bye bye, Because why will they pay your salary when they can sucker some college drag for 30k a year.

I'm gonna be honest, I put a lot of work into adding back in that sharpen filter that you complained about for 6 pages, and the fact that you didn't even acknowledge it kind of hurts my feelings.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Tony_Montana posted:

Heh, maybe the vodyanoi will be in this game, they make more sense in this setting that in lake Vizima.

Still, Geralt in the first game has a very badass speech, starting at about 2:40:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOFZ9vNFByA

I don't understand why he is going to leave the people who can climb trees alone.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
Oh, man. I just realized something. Utnayan has repeatedly stated in this thread that if he had only known how bad this PC release was going to be, he would have bought it for his PS4.

What if he's the real guerilla marketing plant?

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
Well I, for one, am glad that Utnayan has come to evangelize for low frame rates and sharpen filters on grass.

In fact, I'm convinced. I'm buying an Xbox One so I can get the console version of TW3.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
Signs were already pretty brutal in the previous games.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

RatHat posted:

On Easy and Normal sure but they lose a lot of effectiveness on higher difficulties.

I don't know, I never played either game on easy or normal and I thought signs were pretty good. It doesn't take many skill points to turn Aard into a pretty good crowd control ability with a chance to stun for an instant kill. Rolling around and Aarding enemies was my primary strategy even on my swordsman runs. Yrden will take care of pretty much anything that won't work on. Heliotrope is arguably the best adrenaline skill in the game. Quen is invaluable for people who don't know how to not get hit. I never really bothered with Igni or Axii in TW2, but Igni was pretty great in the first game.

Orv posted:

Still no word on which thing to pick I'm afraid.

If you mean how to get the choices dialogue, I'd bet it will basically be, "I'd like to interview you about your past, will you answer some questions?"

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
Oh, weird. How do they phrase it?

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
I would think that simulating a save would be having the conversation, and not doing it would be using the default options. It would be hilarious if it was the other way around and they never clarified it, though, given what was in your spoiler.

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 17, 2015

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
I think it's pretty cool that the weapons and armor in these games mostly look practical and not like dumb fantasy items.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

insider posted:

Thanks for the offer, but I want a Roche path for W3 as I've seen no evidence Iorveth is even in it.

Basically want the save 5) Aryan Alive - Roche Path - Henselt Alive - Anais Saved that is on the forum + the tattoo (basically everyone who could be spared was including Letho, Saskia, and Sile). I just want maximum call backs possible in my W3 import. If I can't get one with the tattoo I'll live though.

Here, this has saves for both options for what to do with Anais and all those people alive (with tattoo): https://www.dropbox.com/s/fn575q2xnr06mmh/roche.zip?dl=0

Also, doors in The Witcher 2 are terrible, and I don't know why people keep making games with sections where you have to follow someone who runs slower than you.

Edit: Updated it to include Roche -> Triss, as well.

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

What is the status of the Witcher 1 stuff in this save?

It's been awhile. I know it's Neutral, and Adda's alive. I'm pretty sure Siegried is also still alive. Shani not romanced. Berengar alive (even though the game didn't care).