Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Got the GOTY during the sale and I have to say I'm enjoying it way more than 1 or 2, which I kinda stopped playing (1 after the swamp, 2 during Floatsam), but I feel like I'm permanently poor?

I finished up White Orchard, got 150 coins for killing a griffin and had to spend 69 repairing my euqipped poo poo. The merchant has 4 Gwent cards for 50 coins each (!!), and even taking items apart for crafting is expensive.

I have to confess I have been hoarding a bit though, probably a reflex from 1 and 2, but now I see that potions, bombs and oils only need to be created once, so is there anything I should be selling outright instead of dismantling/keeping for crafting? Any way of making coin outside of contracts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Huh. Did I miss something? I just finished the Family Matters quest; I freed the spirit at the Whispering Hillock because it promised to help the children (which I never knew were in danger? the conversation just popped up when talking to it after the crones sent me to kill it), it went and made everyone in the village murder each other. Alright, fine. I went to the Bog with the Baron, fought a Fiend, picked the correct doll, lifted the curse on Anna (who died) and went back to Crow's Perch to find the Baron had hung himself. And then I got a small cutscene saying the kids were safe? When the hell did that happen? Does it just happen offscreen and it's never mentioned again, or did I somehow skip a part of the quest?

And for a question: at which point should I start ignoring sidequests? I have a fuckload of sidequests and contracts, a whole bunch of which are already way below my level (I'm at 12 and I have lvl 6 contracts/sidequests), and it's not like I've been ignoring them, it just seems you get a ton of stuff to do. :saddowns:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Bicyclops posted:

You didn't skip a part of the quest. You can find the children later, although you may not run into them. I forget which quest, but I believe it's somewhere in Novigrad. Apparently if you choose not to release the tree horror, it's heavily implied that the crones eat the children, although the Baron's family fares better.

Fair enough. It just struck me as weird that there's not a single mention of the kids from anyone involved in the final steps of the quest; not by Anna, not by Johnny, and the evil horse just... disappears. Thanks.

You know, after playing (and quitting playing) Witcher 1 and 2 I wasn't expecting liking this game as much as I am. I'm really starting to understand why people rave about it, it's really loving good. Looks incredible, they've streamlined most of what I found cumbersome about 2, and the writing is brilliant, even in little one-off quests that I'm not sure a lot of people will even see. I'm actually kind of mad at the writing since from now on I'll hold every game I play to a ridiculous standard. :(

The voice acting has come a long way from Witcher 1; I just got to the hog hut quest and Geralt's barely-contained mirth when talking to the pig in the hut is utterly amazing.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Fuzz posted:

Revamped Lighting mod (makes weather super pretty)

Would that be Super Turbo Lighting Modp? I tried it and it's making nights super dark (even outside).

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Thanks to all for the mod lists, it's super helpful. I'm installing a few of the ones that sound more first-time friendly, since I'm still at Novigrad :D

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, that's the one. If you use it and enhanced weather without dark rain or something like that... makes the nights really drat pretty.

I'll pull my full mod list when I get home, haven't had darkness issues but that could be your monitor or whatever. Do you have Preserve System Gamma on?

No, I'm pretty sure it's the mod. There are a bunch of people complaining about it being too dark in the mod's page as well (and people going "it's supposed to be dark it's more realistic lol"). Sure, I want realism in my cat-eyed mutant monster slayer game.

With Mod

Without Mod

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I was heading to the Isle of Mists quest and got a popup saying "a buncha quests will be failed if you continue", so I put the game aside for a couple weeks; I loaded back in a couple days ago after a format and everything was working fine, but today I tried to jump back in and I'm getting this:

Which is weird since a) it was working a couple days ago and b) it says I have the dlc right there on the loving menu.

I googled around and it seems it used to be an issue when they launched the free dlc, but since I have the GOTY version (GoG) I can't 'uncheck/check' the dlc to have it redownload. I tried verifying the installation and nothing.
Any ideas, or am I doomed to reinstall the whole thing? Because that would suck.

Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Could be, but I definitely played a bit after the bulldoze, so no idea what the hell is up. I'm downloading the whole thing again, I'll report back tomorrow.

/edit:

Turns out it was a mod: All NPC Scabbards 1.22 including DLC, some update to the game broke it in the past week. If any of you get that error I was talking about, try removing the mod first. (If you're thinking "but why didn't you try that before reinstalling everything" the answer is "because I'm an idiot and forgot").

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 12, 2017