Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I think the open world really works with feeling like A Real Witcher. Travelling around to little villages and killing the local monster causing trouble is Geralts whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Yen gets hers too, its not a one sided thing.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like the Mad Max shouts the bandits yell.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The big fight in Iris's Worst Fear seems insane to me, like I got it done after a couple of tries but I dont remember any other bosses being able to kill me in one hit or stunlock me. Maybe its just cause I'm out of practice, I had more trouble in fights than I remember having when I last played.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Hrmm yes, I'll make a deal with a guy who is literally Satan instead of punking his rear end in a riddle contest because I'm a lame jerk.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just saw "you might know it as Psylocibe..." and I'm like "REALLY??"

I mean realistically speaking you might think that you are a bear, but ya know...

Have you ever ingested shrooms mixed with human blood and entered a berserker rage? If so then you don't know that it won't turn you into a bear.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I really like the way they did that kind of stuff in this game. They trust you a lot of the time to pick stuff up by context and when they do talk about the past its old pals reminiscing about funny or emotional things to them instead of just just plot exposition.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Capn Beeb posted:

I had a fallen knight shout WITNESS ME, BROTHERS. Don't remember that or them from my first time playing and nearly got killed from laughing myself silly :haw:

Yeah those dudes in Heart of Stone all yell that and I LIVE, I DIE, I LIVE AGAIN etc it's pretty great.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Yen is actually pretty insecure. She doesn't hate Triss (they have flings when the other isn't around and that's fine) but she hates Geralt bringing up what happened, even to apologise because it makes what happened more important and serious which makes her think that maybe Geralt doesn't *really* want to be with her. This is why you have the whole genie quest later in the game because she has to know if Geralt genuinely wants to be with her or if he just keeps coming back because of the destiny spell.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Transmetropolitan posted:

Wait a loving second. This came out of the loving nowhere and somebody please answer me this:

So the setting of Witcher is like Endless Legend or a Spelljammer thing - aliens crash in a planet and their technology regresses to techno-antiquity or techno-medieval and magic and alchemy is just perhaps residue of really advanced poo poo?

Which if so, means this series is actually medieval sci-fi instead of fantasy? :psyduck:

Scholars have many vices. Possibly the worst among them is a tendency to describe the simple in unnecessarily complex terms, to dress the plain the the garb of false learning.

"The Conjunction of the Spheres" might serve an an excellent example of this. This name, so mysterious to a commoner's ear, could be replaced with a much simpler alternative: When the Worlds Collided. The phenomenon itself can also be explained in terms simple enough for a child to understand.

Imagine, dear reader, that our world is a ship sailing on a great sea. From its deck we can see other, distant vessels – those are the stars. These vessels each bear their own goods and their own crews. They usually pass us at some distance, barely visible specks, even views through a spyglass. Once every few thousand years, however, a storm breaks above this cosmic sea, a storm so strong it tosses the ships towards one another, making them sail check by jowl. Part of the crew of one ship can, at such times, move to another, and some of the cargo from one ship's hold can spill onto a neighboring vessel. When the weather calms, the ships separate once again and sail their separate, invariably different ways.

The so-called "post-Conjunction beings," namely monsters such as ghouls and basilisks, are precisely such passengers from another vessel. And we humans are castaways, flung against our will from somewhere far away onto a world previously inhabited by the Elder Races. Once here, we learned the arcane mysteries of magic. unbeknownst to us before.

Could the worlds collide once more? Perhaps. Can this cataclysm be avoided, or thet oppposite – hastened? Some scholars believe there are beings who have mastered this skill, who possess rare genes [which] allow some to seize the helm of our vessel and steer us... to safer waters, or to our doom.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Geralt also got knighted by the Queen of Rivia in one of his adventures and granted the title "of Rivia" which he found amusing.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEd0yxi89fE

Geralt and Yen are the best.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Trololo is the best character, sorry.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

This expansion owns so far. I met Guybrush Threepwood and fought him in and insult battle then went on a thrilling journey to the bank.

Where can I get a Monster Stomach? I need it for my last armor upgrade and I don't seem to have one or anything I can extract it from.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I got it on "Father Knows Best"

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Sorry, it was "Big Game Hunter"

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Guillaume is a shitlord and he deserves to be dunked on.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Re: Witchers declining

The Trial of the Grasses (where they give little kids mutagens) kills roughly 7 out of ten of all kids put through it, and they don't die peacefully. Then if they survive they have to go through Witcher training which is dangerous as well so some kids are gonna die from that. The absurdly lucky ones who survive all this get to become full time Witchers, none of whom have ever died of old age. So its not exactly a fun party time for anyone, and Geralt and his friends refuse to consider putting any child through that bullshit.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Fuzz posted:

He also fights the swordwoman in Skellige and boxes that one lady in B&W where they specifically comment on it.

Also does Phillipa count?

I love the woman boxer because she gets all worked up that Geralt won't make any sexist comments and is just a chill dude.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Lambert, bud. You can be a pain in the rear end sometimes but I freaking love you brother.

This is also one of the only games that can really nail emotional scenes, the scene where Geralt first finds Ciri has no dialogue at all but its incredible. The animators and musicians really make you feel the whole scene and how Geralt is going through multiple emotions, plus all the great camera framing etc etc. Then when you bring Ciri home and Yen who has only been cool and standoffish the whole game starts whooping and hollering in glee as she runs across the whole dang castle to give Ciri a big hug. Its a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Node posted:

I just wonder how the hell they're going to follow up on it. Geralt is one of the most in depth characters in a video game I've ever known. Who would you be in confirmed Witcher 4? How the hell can you make a new character as awesome as he is? Surely not Ciri, since there are three possible outcomes for her in Witcher 3, all very distinct from each other, and I don't know how they could retcon it.

Well the Cyberpunk game is next. Witcher 3 starts of as a kind of noir detective story which is a good way to frame an RPG I think so they could probably use some similar beats and try to build on them. Making a good protagonist for video games is hard because they have to be absurdly competent or the player gets upset when the character fails at something out of their control but also they have to have flaws or you can't relate to them.