Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

RatHat posted:

I really, really doubt it. She's such a minor character.

She's the abagail of W2, only with less playing card action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

FrancoFish posted:

We were fighting the same ghouls, and he was dropping them in 8 hits, me in 42.

Silly question, but same difficulty level?

Crappy Jack posted:

Maybe she's born with it.

Maybe it's celandine.

:golfclap:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Just about done with my Insane run on W2; goddamn that eternal fight was annoying.

How are things after the latest patch? People who were crashing--seeing more stability?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Huh. I'm trying to import a save that I downloaded from the link in the OP. I dropped it in my savegames folder with the other W2 saves, but it keeps erroring out on me when I select it--import failed.

Anyone have any tips? And/or a cool Broche save with the tatt and everyone alive (Cynthia can be dead, because yeah).

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

drat this thread moves fairly fast...reposting from a few pages back:

Trying to import a save that I downloaded from the link in the OP. I dropped it in my savegames folder with the other W2 saves, but it keeps erroring out on me when I select it--import failed.

Anyone have any tips? And/or a cool Broche save with the tatt and everyone alive (Cynthia can be dead, because yeah).

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

I guess it's a line of sight thing

Yeah, with all the crazy stuff Witchers face, you'd REALLY want peripheral vision.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Magni posted:

He isn't required to slay them, though. The code actually forbids killing self-aware monsters unless they attack first or start killing humans for a reason other than self-defense.

Obligatory reminder: the code is 100% bullshit that Geralt trots out when he does/doesn't want to take a contract. There is no real code.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

You can charm rabbits and make them follow you.

You can be the Lord of the Hares

Well, now I know what I'll be doing for the next 6 hours.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

1.04 just dropped.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Patch 1.04 changelog:
Rebinding any key is now available after switching Unlock Bindings option in Options \ Key bindings submenu.
Corrects an issue in the dialog system that might rarely cause dialog looping in scenes.
Fixes an issue with incorrect behavior of Wild Hunt warriors after they were under the influence of Axii sign.
Corrects a bug causing spontaneous combustion of gas clouds.
1280 x 720 resolution is now properly displaying as valid resolution option.
Fixes boat stuttering in cutscenes.
Texture rendering quality for high / ultra presets improved.
Further improvements in NVIDIA Hairworks performance.
A few additional Gwent cards are now available in the Prologue area.
Fixes an issue where users with usernames using non-latin characters were unable to import saves from Witcher 2.
Overall stability and performance improvements.
Fixes related to alt + tabbing and minimizing game window.
Game icon updated.
Enlarges the size of the loot pop-up window in the UI.
Fixes an issue where, in certain circumstances, the comparison window could be displayed outside of game borders in the UI.
Upgrading set items no longer destroys sockets.
Small UI tweaks for Gwent.
Corrects some missing translations in localized versions.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Azazell0 posted:

Any tips where I can regularly unload my surplus of swords and other gear? As in, merchants who have enough gold to buy what I can sell?

Well, you can sell them to some merchants who will take them at a fraction of their true value. That will offload the weight, albeit non optimally.

But yeah, you'll want to sell them to a blacksmith.

Alternatively, melt them down.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Kopijeger posted:

You know, if you choose the "answer questions to determine the events of the previous game" option the question of Stennis' fate never comes up even if you chose to have gone with Iorveth. Also, the ambassador you can ask about the political situation claims that Aedirn offered practically no resistance. I suspect they simply decided that the events of the Roche path are canon (where Stennis is automatically killed by the battlefield wraiths at the beginning of Act 2).

Thematically, that works for the world too. Roche patch is crapsack world cranked to 11. Iorveth is all "free vergen and equal rights and brotherhood and happy drunken dwarves" which doesn't work in the witcherverse outside of fever dreams.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Solartide posted:

I got like 20 pounds/kilos of crossbow bolts, on the one hand I don't want to drop them because they seem to be very versatile, on the other hand, I never use them because Igni.

True, but you could use them to start the fight. Crossbow something, piss it off/kill it, then have it eat magic flamethrower when it closes. Win/Win.

Edit: There doesn't appear to be a central church analogue as we'd know it. The closest is probably Melitele and the Maiden/Mother/Crone iconography it runs with. Dwarves appear to follow this to an extent; not sure if "Mother Creatrix" is another term for her or is another deity altogether.
There are a number of smaller cults/Old Gods in the remote areas though--Veyopatis from the flotsam area is a good example.

Edit2: You want "Dragon's Dream"--there's even an achievement for tossing one, Igni'ing a guy and then igniting the DD gas cloud. (then repeat it 9 more times) Because Geralt is a colossal dick like that.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 26, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

iCe-CuBe. posted:

I can, maybe it's bugged

Well, in/out of combat can be a bit....fluid. (What drowner 10 ft away? Shift's done; I'm sheathing my sword!) Maybe you were considered "out of combat" for that moment when you tried?

Or it could be a bug. :shrug:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Rant time: Agreed that CDPR is very consistent in creating great games with utterly hosed inventory systems. The inventory from W2:EE was more functional than this one, but on release it was total crap--I think they folded in a sorting mod so you can at least do alphabetical, weight, value, or time-acquired sorting.

"Press F to sort by latest acquired/type" is pretty damned limited and not terribly useful outside of reading the latest note I picked up. And when I'm trying to make coin, being able to sort by value so I can sell off the best-price stuff first would be really useful.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

"What does it have in its pocketses?" "Nothing, because they're pointless slots that nothing fits in."

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Gort posted:

Anyone found a way to complete the Dirty Funds quest once it bugs out? It's stuck on "read the letter you found" for me.

You should just be able to go east to the giant windmill and poke around the buildings there to finish things--it'll be a slightly hidden room

I have to say I'm disappointed by that windmill though--there was no way inside (that even looked like it was boarded up) and no grindstone attached. What's it doing?

Wait, sorry, that was a different quest. Dirty funds you have to find a bandit encampment that's just east of a north-south road, towards the top of the map, then beat everyone inside. The bandit leader even uses a shield :buddy:

Edit: VV Well, at least the lovely "sort" function they have works pretty well for notes and books--new ones will be listed first on the tab, which makes for easy reading so long as you do it right away.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 26, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

It's like I put it before: CDPR makes amazing games, that have janky interfaces. Every single Witcher game has had questionable elements to their UI, inventory especially so. W2 got an overhaul with the EE, and I expect them to do the same here.

The game is loving amazing, atmospheric, and just impressive on every level otherwise. The combat is a bit iffy, but once you get used to the flow and get some talent points in you'll be carving and roasting your way through.

But it's a semi-open world, so with any game of that sort it'll have a bunch of bugs. Most are not game-breaking, just annoying. It's also a game that rides the bleeding edge of what video cards can do, so tweaks are being found and made to make it more forgiving for existing cards. Most of the video-related crashes are patched (I think).

But that inventory system...there's really nothing redeeming about it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Nakar posted:

Weird. Maybe he only throws in the "and I might just marry her too :wink:" if Adda died. Otherwise he'd just be assuming protectorate status over Temeria without an excuse.

Or maybe he got rid of his wife, it's not like that'd be hard.

If you don't save Adda or don't import, Radovid is unmarried and thus is free to pursue his romance with Anais. If Adda is his wife, he takes Anais "as his ward" ostensively to set her up as a puppet later and to rule Temeria as regent/a vassal state. At least, that's what W2 claims.

W3, it's irrelevant as Temeria rolls over like a wolf eating an Igni to the face. (never. gets. old.)

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I can see why people don't like the Griffin armor's visual style, but I love that poo poo. Looks like some Jedi armor made on a budget.

I think it's just the padded gut of the armor. If it was contoured like the other ones I think it's right up there in looks. No one wants to play dad-gut Geralt.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Haven't had too many problems with Drowners, but then I'm still rolling around more than I should; W2 habits die hard. Seriously, rolling around a drowner pack makes them a lot easier to deal with; even rolling backwards lets me dodge their lunges most of the time. If you get stuck in the middle then you're screwed or at least going to lose a lot of health, but that's true of anything.

Roll around, get them clumped up, then feed them an enhanced grapeshot to the face.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Avalerion posted:

What a joke. At least they could say what triggers it, I definitely leveled up doing quests last night so there's more to it than quests just not giving XP, or maybe I'm just not affected (yet).

The reigning theory is that the bug gets triggered the first time you do a "grey" quest (that is, one 6 levels below you). Quests you overlevel by that much are not supposed to give you XP by design, and I guess that state gets locked in and breaks rewards for other quests.

So until you hit Level 7-8, you're 100% safe from the bug.

Consoles are getting the patch later is likely due to the patch validation process that Sony/MS require.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Plus they're not immune, just resistant. Super-metabolism and all.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 31, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Actually, everything is spelled out between Letho's plotdump at the end of W2 and the beginning of W3.

-Yen dies but knows the Lodge exists
-Upon capturing her, Darth Vattier interrogates her and yanks the knowledge of who is in the Lodge from her head. The Lodge's existence being something of an open secret was established in the first game at least--suspected by many but not much hard info.
-Letho is sent in to kill kings, kick rear end, and chew bubblegum.
-Letho buddies up to Sile to frame her later. He bemoans the plight of the underclasses and the derivation of chief executive power.
-His intended target is the King of Kovir. He was to plant evidence pointing to Sile and the Lodge at the scene/if he was caught.
-Sile and Phillipa come up with the underpants-gnome-grade plan of destabilizing the north to create a Sorceress state.
-Sile decides that her dumb witcher friend would be a perfect tool.
-Letho hides a quiet titter as he axes his plan against a minor state to gank the leader of one of the four main northern powers at the behest of someone he intended to frame in the first place.

After that Letho goes on his RAMPAGE and the Lodge is in damage-control mode (which involves creating far more damage, because they're the Lodge).

Presumably, Yennifer regains her memory after the Probe, and then nominally works with Nilfgaard because the choice was that or :ese:. Given that Ciri was detected, Yen is all too willing to use whatever is at her disposal to locate her.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 2, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

Did the Lodge really want to destabilize the North? I thought they just wanted Demavend dead because he hosed with Dol Blathanna.
I mean, the entire point of the Lodge is NOT having the North ravaged by war.

You can't carve out a new nation in the midst of four big players without the cover of some chaos. They were hoping to keep it contained to Aedirn and just replace Demavend, but at some point they had to have some sort of ace in the hole to keep the other rulers off balance a bit to shore up their rule. We saw how quick Radovid and Henselt were to gobble up Temeria when Foltest died, and even more pertinently Henselt was about to take advantage of the Lodge-planned assassination to annex upper Aedirn at the least.

I mean, they might have been so monumentally dumb as to think they c-ould neatly off and replace a king, but I doubt they were that blind. Well, until Loc Muinne at least. :laugh:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

I have quite a few red ones at lvl 16 but they're all weird unique ones that you can't use in crafting. Kind of irritating.

Yeah, monster-specific mutagens don't count--they're used for specific decoctions, not mutagen slotting on the character sheet. Color for those appears to be arbitrary. Makes sense the attack power ones would be delayed; it's easy enough to get overpowered for the early levels without being (more of) an obscene berzerker mutant.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Merry Magpie posted:

Did you seriously go back and count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eliT818ZEAs
Refer to that. Has the full Letho conversation tree, as opposed to the truncated video you're working off of. 6:12, 8:25, and especially 9:55 and 10:42 may be what you're looking for.

Letho posted:

Kill as many rulers as we could. Lay the blame on the sorceresses. Breed chaos. Prepare the North, soften it before the invasion.

Letho posted:

(how did you contact Sile?) It wasn't a problem once I learned of the Lodge's existence. Initially she watched my every move. But sooner or later, everyone starts treating me like a big oaf.
I stayed close to Sile, killed a few beasts for her, and whined about how unhappy I was, how unfair the world was.
I made sure a few potentially trustworthy witnesses saw us together, could link us...Security, in case I was captured. I also prepared to assassinate the king of Kovir. Esterad Thyssen was to be the first victim of the mysterious assassins.
But before I could do the dirty deed, Sile asked me to slay Demavend. The gods had smiled upon me. I couldn't belive my luck. Here I'd been trying to figure out how to frame Sile, and now all I needed was to carry out her orders and follow through.

It goes on from there. :boom:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Yeah. I decided to hit up Novigrad early when I was still level 6 or so to pick up recipes, saddlebags, gwent cards, etc. Saw Georgious Georg and BrickClaytop , thought I'd try to fight.

Dude had a skull icon. Still managed to take off 1/3 of his health before he 2 shotted me.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Ah, I was wondering what that feeling was. Begun, the nude mods have.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

But elf and onion soup is so tasty, especially with fresh elf.

Pity Geralt hates onions.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Finally dove in and started using boats.

Suspension of disbelief on the convenient directional winds aside (headcannon of a subtle constant Aard effect), the one thing that is really starting to grate on me is how Geralt turns from a guy with arms, legs, twisting body with inertia into literally part of the rudder during steering. There's no turning delay as he moves the rudder, no leaning, no reaction at all except LEFT! RIGHT! CENTER! There's a little of this with horseback riding, but its far less pronounced (when Roach isn't actively trying to glitch out and kill you, anyway).

Not a major issue, true, but to see this gorgeous game and to go from great animations to that is a bit jarring.

Edit: Also, gently caress that tavernkeeper in Oxenfurt and his bullshit 1 point gwent wins. But now I finally have my first hero card, AND Yen's a medic! :3:

Edit2: VV What are they going to do, hire someone to rough up/kill Geralt? Get in line, guys.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 3, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

Active Quen is great because you don't need to eat food at all anymore.

Yeah, I can go all Metal Gear Cyborg on the drowners when I'm low on health. "HURT ME MORE!"

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Booya posted:

If you go over your max you start losing health really fast. If you get close to the max you get really annoying screen effects and Geralt looks like a sith lord

Pretty much that.

Before you're able to dump skills into the alchemy tree to unlock those handy benefits, a good strategy is to take all your combat potions when appropriate, then when they wear off down a white honey to totally flush you and immediately drink up those potions again. Otherwise you'll have to wait until your toxicity goes down enough to redrink, which can take a while, depending.

Edit: Death march has an increased XP penalty, so you level slower. I think there's also a damage penalty as well.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Survival guide:
Welcome to the open world! You'll find that there's A Lot of Bad Things around that can kill you with a second glance. Sometimes even with just the first one.

The way to survive is to do quests close to your level, and if you see red dots on the minimap, eyeball them and see what level they are. If they're not close to you (or are skulls!) RUN AWAY. You can come back and they won't chase you forever.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

"If I have a son, I'll be sure to name him Geralt."
...2 seconds later...
"*ptoo* Mutant!"

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

Where does the Temerian armor show up in game?

The merchant stall in White Orchard of the guy you saved in the prologue. If you have it installed; you have to check the box in Galaxy if you're using that. Run the installer otherwise (or it should be auto-added if using Steam).

Blacksmiths are in Novigrad (the mastercraft one is there too) and a Journeyman-level one is in Oxenfurt. Probably one in Skellige as well; haven't been there yet.
For crafting Witcher diagrams you'll need a Journeyman level dude. You can find amateur blacksmiths around villages but they're only good for basic sword diagrams.

Blacksmiths have an icon that has a sword in it. Armorers have a tiny suit of armor icon.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

If you need a Good Card, play the Oxenfurt innkeeper--he gives a hero medic (yenn! :3: ) that can add a good amount of juice to your game.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Campbell posted:

That's true, but I've run into some times where my weakest is a 4 point card and I REALLY just wish I had a 1 pointer to finish baiting a pass from the AI. Pretty much every first round for me is an attempt to bait a pass or 10pt drop.
Poor loving Infantry also excels in blizzards w/ horn/etc, so I dunno. Niche card that's maybe so niche it's not super useful.

There are two versions of PFI - the ones with close bonds are definitely worth having in your deck for just the reasons you put above. Great for baiting card drops, and the bonus stacks on top of blizzards so they're actually worth MORE than regular cards.

Edit: VV If you have the cards to round out the 22 unit baseline without using them, then yeah it's probably not worth using them for their very situational benefit. But given the choice between the 1 pt siege engineer and the tight bonds PFI, I'll keep the PFI.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 5, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Harrow posted:

Well, I'm glad the patch is out. I haven't played all week because I found I wasn't getting XP for story quests that my friend was getting XP from. I didn't expect all of these other cool fixes with it, too. Nice. I'm excited to get home from work and play.

That was the point of the delay--they had the XP fix upwards of a week ago, but they didn't want to alter the code base this close to a big patch--better to wait a few days and roll it all in together. Kinda sucked to wait the extra time--especially with the uncertainty of the Polish holiday possibly screwing the release date--but I'm really glad they were able to get it out the door this week.

Now I want to kill some cows when I'm level 20-something to see if I can kill the chort :3:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Levantine posted:

Good god. I mean, some of those are pretty short little things like "lady gets harassed by bandits" in novigrad, I'm sure but that is some content.

Yeah, I just knocked out a half dozen quests which were literally "pick up note, New Quest!, Use Witcher Senses to see the trunk 20 steps to the east, collect loot, Quest Complete!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Some enemies are immune to certain effects. A mound of animated dirt is difficult to poison.